PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Cuts from Around the League

Just read on twitter that the Eagles have released TE Blake Annen. It's probably too late to add a rookie but a 250lb TE that ran a 4.41 at his pro day will always be of interest to me.

Just read on twitter that the Eagles have released TE Blake Annen. It's probably too late to add a rookie but a 250lb TE that ran a 4.41 at his pro day will always be of interest to me.

Considering how highly Chip Kelly regards speed, Annen's failure to survive first cuts despite being very fast for his position speaks pretty poorly.

Considering how highly Chip Kelly regards speed, Annen's failure to survive first cuts despite being very fast for his position speaks pretty poorly.
Annen was outplayed by fellow UDFA Trey Burton (who I really wanted during the draft) so he was not seeing a lot of opportunity.

Athletically speaking Annen is a remarkable speciesism. I personally think he could be developed into an NFL player with the right coaching; he focused more on track in college.

These are his pro day numbers:

Height: 6041
Weight: 247
40 Yrd Dash: 4.41
20 Yrd Dash: 2.52
10 Yrd Dash: 1.61
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 25
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.30
3-Cone Drill: 7.19

Athletically speaking Annen is a remarkable speciesism. I personally think he could be developed into an NFL player with the right coaching; he focused more on track in college.

He might have "focused more on track," but he played football all 4 years and caught a total of 18 passes. His pro day numbers are all that got him signed as a UDFA, he has never shown up significantly on the field.

He might have "focused more on track," but he played football all 4 years and caught a total of 18 passes. His pro day numbers are all that got him signed as a UDFA, he has never shown up significantly on the field.
He had 16 catches for 183 yards and 2 touchdowns in his final college season. Prior to that, he was behind Travis Kelce. I am not saying he is going to be an all pro but he might be worth a look, we have seen a few months of Justin Jones at this point.

If Annen can tackle he would be a very intriguing special teams player with his speed and size.

Nice use of the avatar. I couldn't "like" it directly, so I "liked" your last past.

Old friend Markus Zusevics has been cut by the Jets.

Old friend Markus Zusevics has been cut by the Jets.

As has OL Bruce Campbell. Campbell is a physical specimen (6'6" 320# with 4.75 speed), but never lived up to his athletic potential. I had a momentary thought that perhaps he might be worth a gamble as a swing tackle or tackle-guard, but probably not. I'm pretty sure he's not PS-eligible.

@PatriotsXtra365: #Jets released former #Patriots Ras-I Dowling.

@PatriotsXtra365: #Jets also released WR Jacoby Ford, WR Michael Campbell, TE Colin Anderson, FB Chad Young and DT Anthony Grady

The fact that Dowling couldn't even survive the first wave of cuts on a Jets team lacking in any CB depth at the moment is not good news for his career prospects. It's probably time for him to hang up the cleats.

Lots of Annen talk, but the Eagles also cut Emil Igwenagu. He played at Holy Name in Worcester, then UMass and was picked up a couple of years ago by Andy Reid. He lost his job a couple of days ago after he got buried on the Eagles depth chart. He was originally a FB, but transitioned to TE. Just a name to put out there, but I'd be shocked if the Pats show interest, he sucks.

Per Adam Schefter
One day after Buffalo HC Doug Marrone said DT Alan Branch had been arrested, the Bills cut him, per a league source.
2:57pm - 24 Aug 14

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back