PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Cuts from Around the League

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With roster cutdowns approaching, I don't think there's a thread on this topic yet. Lots of interesting guys will get cut in the next 10 days, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see a couple on the Pats' roster.

I'll start it off with one: Miami will reportedly cut 2012 3rd round draft pick TE Michael Egnew today:

Dolphins cut bait on draft bust Michael Egnew | ProFootballTalk

Egnew, out of Missouri, measured 6'5" 252# and ran a 4.52 40 and 7.03 3-Cone at the 2012 Combine, with Pro Day results including an 37.5" VJ and 11' 3" BJ. He missed almost all of 2012 with a injury, and totaled only 7 receptions for 69 yards and 0 TDs in 2013. The Dolphins took him #78 overall. He seems like a long shot at this point, but given how little we have at TE, perhaps worth a look if he clears waivers.

With roster cutdowns approaching, I don't think there's a thread on this topic yet. Lots of interesting guys will get cut in the next 10 days, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see a couple on the Pats' roster.

I'll start it off with one: Miami will reportedly cut 2012 3rd round draft pick TE Michael Egnew today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/22/dolphins-cut-bait-on-draft-bust-michael-egnew/

Egnew, out of Missouri, measured 6'5" 252# and ran a 4.52 40 and 7.03 3-Cone at the 2012 Combine, with Pro Day results including an 37.5" VJ and 11' 3" BJ. He missed almost all of 2012 with a injury, and totaled only 7 receptions for 69 yards and 0 TDs in 2013. The Dolphins took him #78 overall. He seems like a long shot at this point, but given how little we have at TE, perhaps worth a look if he clears waivers.

Heck, he might even be worth a waiver claim.

Cool thread, good idea. I hope other posters contribute as we approach the first cut-down day next week.

That said, the skeptic in me has to come out here:
I was quite the fan of that particular Mizzou squad with Maclin, Chase Daniel (then Gabbert), Aldon Smith and a number of other talented players, so I watched intently. Egnew, while an awesome athlete, was always quite soft. He had no blocking ability to go with his athleticism. I'd have a very hard time projecting a dinged-up version of himself contributing at any point.

Egnew is a JAG. I think I'll pass. There are quite a few other teams with better depth at the TE position whose cuts I will be monitoring closely in the coming weeks.

Well at this point I gave up the 2 TE offense idea. If BB feels the need for a quality TE to pair with Gronk he will have to pull a trade. They relegate the need probably thinking that would get addressed in a way or another, it didn't. Draft, FA, there's only the cuts left and nothing indicating that this guy we need will be available, TE's are high on the league, teams will carry them on their rosters.

If this Housler is that good, throw a 3rd and fug it. This is the year.

I think that we should consider which position might be available as an upgrade for what we have on the roster.

For example, Belichick is always on the lookout for special teamers (usually at LB or S).

For me, I think that there may be an upgrade available over Bolden at RB.

There might be a veteran DE out there. This is important if Smith has nothing left.

I think that the problem is that we would like to get players at positions that haven't been available in the draft or earlier in free agency (TE and SS). It seems unlikely that a player will now become available. If there were such a player, he would be a valuable commodity, requiring a trade.

I think that we should consider which position might be available as an upgrade for what we have on the roster.

For example, Belichick is always on the lookout for special teamers (usually at LB or S).

For me, I think that there may be an upgrade available over Bolden at RB.

There might be a veteran DE out there. This is important if Smith has nothing left.

I think that the problem is that we would like to get players at positions that haven't been available in the draft or earlier in free agency (TE and SS). It seems unlikely that a player will now become available. If there were such a player, he would be a valuable commodity, requiring a trade.

It's worth noting that Bolden was one of just two players to play on four ST units last week. . . .

That's probably an upgrade on our 3rd TE spot.
So, you would cut Develin to sign Egnew?

IMHO, there is no 3rd TE spot.
QB - 3
TE - 2
RB - 4
FB - 1
OL - 9
WR - 5
ST - 1

Even if we freed up a roster spot (perhaps by keeping one fewer QB or OL), I suspect the roster spot wouldn't go to a 3rd TE. It would go to kick returner instead. Do you disagree?

I have a feeling that Bolden makes the team again this year. He may be unspectacular but he's solid depth and has shown some flashes. Plus like you guys said he plays on ST, and pretty decently.

I have a feeling that Bolden makes the team again this year. He may be unspectacular but he's solid depth and has shown some flashes. Plus like you guys said he plays on ST, and pretty decently.
I still like the way he runs when he is in there.

IMHO, there is no 3rd TE spot.

I think there is in the short term, unless you plan to dismiss Browner, Tyms, and those on PUP as well. However, a 3rd TE would probably be sketchy after that. It somewhat depends on the health of Gronk and Hooman for game 1. Right now that looks a bit sketchy too.

I would give Egnew a look. He is a physical talent. With the right coaching who knows.

Bring him in for a workout, and then add his name to the rolodex... mess with the Miami, "brain trust". TE is the one position that causes concern, if a backup is needed the whole O system becomes stressed.

That's probably an upgrade on our 3rd TE spot.

The 3rd TE spot is the ideal place for Hooman or Develin. Ultimately, it's TE2 that we want to upgrade and Egnew does not provide that. There will be better options out there after the final cuts take place.

The Eagles cut Blake Annen who we worked out privately before the draft.

The Eagles cut Blake Annen who we worked out privately before the draft.

Impressive raw athlete who has shown no great talent for football, alas.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back