PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting comments from Brian Lowe on Patriots Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
That shouldn't take long.

Does ANYBODY expect both of them to stick? ;)

No. I don't think that CJ Jones will make it past the first cut downs. Chad J. will make it, IMHO. ;)

OK, until CJ Jones and/or Chad Jackson is off the roster, we need an official moratorium on referring to either as "CJ"! How many threads have been derailed by this so far?

CJ is Chad Johnson (official Friend of Belichick)
CJack is our favorite thread-starting WR
CJ Jones shouldn't be mentioned enough to cause confusion, but if necessary his full name should be used (or "Clinton" if familiarity is required)

To be honest, I thought Spann was invisible the other night, I wasn't impressed at all. His reaction time was slow and he always seemed late getting to the ball. Maybe he's shown differently in camp, but I didn't see anything in Tampa.

Spann was in on a lot of plays making tackles when a lot of others were missing them. He actually showed up quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can go both ways when we speak of Hobson. On one side he is on a one year deal and not getting it we have youth that seems to get it and contribute more to special teams. On the other side I see a guy who has already gotten it done at the pro level had one year in particular that was really good and he deserves some more time to grasp things. And I think what we have seen from Mayo can go both ways as well either we have a starter where we though maybe it would be Hobson before Mayo impressive TC but he still a kid and a Vet may be needed.

What might be his kiss of death is Seau waiting in the wings, this may allow us to bring the youth in and release Hobson still having a vet in Seau ready just in case we need it.

I can go both ways when we speak of Hobson. On one side he is on a one year deal and not getting it we have youth that seems to get it and contribute more to special teams. On the other side I see a guy who has already gotten it done at the pro level had one year in particular that was really good and he deserves some more time to grasp things. And I think what we have seen from Mayo can go both ways as well either we have a starter where we though maybe it would be Hobson before Mayo impressive TC but he still a kid and a Vet may be needed.

What might be his kiss of death is Seau waiting in the wings, this may allow us to bring the youth in and release Hobson still having a vet in Seau ready just in case we need it.

The thing is, Hobson never got it done inside. This is his first attempt at playing inside in a 3-4, and it doesn't seem to be going well. I expect Guyton to stick over Hobson, with Seau ready to go if necessary. I'm a big Gary Guyton fan, given what I've seen of him thus far.

Very disappointed in Hobson. It's almost as if he's disinterested and looking for a ticket out of town.

Hobson signed a 1 year deal with the knowledge the Pats had just drafted a rookie ILB, and Hobson would have a good chance to start, at least early on, and increase his future value.

Then he got a look at Mayo in training camp and realized he was dreaming, and he would never start ahead of Mayo.

I would still rather hobson start over bruschi

Spann was in on a lot of plays making tackles when a lot of others were missing them. He actually showed up quite a bit.

I disagree, if you DVR'd that game, go back and watch it. He was late in run support, a total non-factor, the Bucs ran rough-shod over that defense in that first drive and if you re-watch it, you'll see his reads were late and his arrivals were very late. I know he's not the next Ronnie Lott, I'm just saying to call it like it is.

CJ is Chad Johnson (official Friend of Belichick)
CJack is our favorite thread-starting WR
CJ Jones shouldn't be mentioned enough to cause confusion, but if necessary his full name should be used (or "Clinton" if familiarity is required)

:rofl::rofl: for a second i thought it was written 3rd starting WR.

I've been disapointed in Hobson so far especially since I thought he might do really well in the change of position. I don't know if he will be cut though. If the Pats see some advancement in the next preseason game, I think he has a good chance to stick. Remember that he can play either OLB position. So if he at least becomes serviceable at ILB, that gives him a leg up on both Alexander and Guyton who are pure ILBs.

I think Guyton is destined for the practice squad. I haven't seen enough from him to warrant a roster spot just yet.

I expect Seau to be back.

I think it can go either way with Alexander and Hobson, but I think the odds are very good that at least one is on the final 53 man roster.

I would still rather hobson start over bruschi

hater.....only a Bruschi hater would say such things because no objective person could see any reason for that.

First of all, it would not be a major shock if Hobson was cut. They signed him to a one year "prove it" deal, and if he's not "proving it," he's gone.
I also don't think he's telling us anything we don't know with Spann. However, saying he will play a big role is a stretch. Regardless of preseason playing time, he is behind Meriweather, Harrison and Sanders on the depth chart (I'm just assuming Sanders is ahead, don't know for a fact). We also are HOPING Lynch would be ahead of him on the depth chart. Spann will make this team, no doubt, but if the safety corps is fully healthy, he's #5. He's nothing more than an injury replacement.
But unfortunately, on this team, that role is more important than we would hope.

Gotta love B-Lowe, but he's a little off on the Spann comments.

Spann had played left safety for all of the first preseason game, and then again for all of the second preseason game. Meriweather played right safety.

Spann never replaced Meriweather; when Meriweather went down, Lynch came in for one play, and then Mark Dillard for the rest of the game.

Please explain "Right Safety" and Left Safety".

Well, back in the early years of the Belichick era, the Pats did play right and left safety where there was no strong of free safety and each safety was responsible for one side of the field. The thing is the Pats have moved back more to a more traditional free and strong safety combination although they still do some split safety.

Well, back in the early years of the Belichick era, the Pats did play right and left safety where there was no strong of free safety and each safety was responsible for one side of the field. The thing is the Pats have moved back more to a more traditional free and strong safety combination although they still do some split safety.

Right. (Correct.)

With both Rodney and Sanders out, the Pats have played exclusively a vanilla left/right safety alignment so far in the preseason. Meriweather is the defensive right safety, and Spann is the left. There hasn't bee any adjustment to the offensive formation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey