PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting comments from Brian Lowe on Patriots Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
He said that there are a lot of UDFA linebackers that are ahead of Hobson and that he didn't enter the Tampa game until the second half. He thinks that Hobson might be cut before the season begins. He also thinks that Antwan Spann might play a bigger role on the team when the season begins. He replaced Merriweather when he left the field and has played with the first team in both preseason games. Now THAT SURPRISES me. I didn't even think that the guy had a chance to make the team when we signed him. Time is running out for Mr. Hobson. I've heard media and fans say that they haven't been impressed with him. I admit that I haven't really focused on him, can someone give me a scouting report? :)

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=VideoNewsdetail&pid=33408&pcid=111

This game is going to be interesting. It sure would be nice to get some of our OL back too. :(

Last edited:
Hobson was in later in the game..didn't watch him particularly but it really seems like he's not catching up... many believe he could be cut..I was skeptical of that possibility..but he's not getting it at all..and if a Guyton and Alexander are better they will not keep him. Not at all surprised about Spann...he's played a lot with injuries to Sanders, Harrison and now Meriwether..the problem is there is little room on the team,,,with 4 safeties..there will be some tough cuts...

Last edited:
Foot watch '08. Bwahahaa!

Can anyone translate Kevin Faulk?

Last edited:
Hobson has struggled getting off blocks and he has seemed lost in the middle. He and CJ have been two big disappointments coming out of training camp. Spann is comer: a physical corner,strong on STs and has now found a spot at FS also. Barring injury, I see Spann as making it and Hobson getting cut. If they keep Guyton or Alexander instead of Hobson, (and keep AD and Vrabel outside), it leaves us thin and inexperienced inside. When injuries hit, I see the possibility of Crable moving into the lineup on the edge and bringing AD back inside. I consider CJ on the bubble, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Hobson has struggled getting off blocks and he has seemed lost in the middle. He and CJ have been two big disappointments coming out of training camp. Spann is comer: a physical corner,strong on STs and has now found a spot at FS also. Barring injury, I see Spann as making it and Hobson getting cut. If they keep Guyton or Alexander instead of Hobson, (and keep AD and Vrabel outside), it leaves us thin and inexperienced inside. When injuries hit, I see the possibility of Crable moving into the lineup on the edge and bringing AD back inside. I consider CJ on the bubble, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I agree about moving AD back inside. they could also bring back Seau.
I too consider CJ on the bubble. He has had many opportunities to show what he can do. He has been a disappointment. IMHO, I think that the kid can play, but maybe our system might not be the right fit for him. He's still got time though. Maybe things will start coming together for him during the next two games.

The thing with CJ is they kept him for 2 yrs in the roster hoping he would develop.now with so much youth in defence and good WR core i would rather keep a player who might develop into a defensive player then cj again.

CJ Jones has been inconsistent. Does well in training camp sessions but had a monster bad game in preseason game one. Did OK last game though. He's in the hunt for WR #5 as a dark horse. His contributions on STs are his best asset (aside from game one.)

Guyton did not do well in game 2 when he faced better opponents. PS bound.

Last edited:
To be honest, I thought Spann was invisible the other night, I wasn't impressed at all. His reaction time was slow and he always seemed late getting to the ball. Maybe he's shown differently in camp, but I didn't see anything in Tampa.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they keep Guyton or Alexander instead of Hobson, (and keep AD and Vrabel outside), it leaves us thin and inexperienced inside.

At this point I definitely see them keeping Guyton over Hobson, and it definitely does leave the position thin and inexperienced...until Seau arrives. Having Junior waiting in the wings gives the team the luxury to gamble on youth.

He said that there are a lot of UDFA linebackers that are ahead of Hobson and that he didn't enter the Tampa game until the second half. He thinks that Hobson might be cut before the season begins. He also thinks that Antwan Spann might play a bigger role on the team when the season begins. He replaced Merriweather when he left the field and has played with the first team in both preseason games. Now THAT SURPRISES me. I didn't even think that the guy had a chance to make the team when we signed him. Time is running out for Mr. Hobson. I've heard media and fans say that they haven't been impressed with him. I admit that I haven't really focused on him, can someone give me a scouting report? :)

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=VideoNewsdetail&pid=33408&pcid=111

This game is going to be interesting. It sure would be nice to get some of our OL back too. :(

Gotta love B-Lowe, but he's a little off on the Spann comments.

Spann had played left safety for all of the first preseason game, and then again for all of the second preseason game. Meriweather played right safety.

Spann never replaced Meriweather; when Meriweather went down, Lynch came in for one play, and then Mark Dillard for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
The thing with CJ is they kept him for 2 yrs in the roster hoping he would develop.now with so much youth in defence and good WR core i would rather keep a player who might develop into a defensive player then cj again.

CJ has only been on the roster since June 2007.

Guyton is directly in front of Hobson on the depth chart (for SILB, it is Bruschi, then Guyton, then Hobson...at WILB it is Mayo, formerly Tank, then Alexander).

While Guyton is in on a few first team special teams units, Hobson is only in on the backup kickoff return team and a couple of others.

OK, until CJ Jones and/or Chad Jackson is off the roster, we need an official moratorium on referring to either as "CJ"! How many threads have been derailed by this so far?

OK, until CJ Jones and/or Chad Jackson is off the roster, we need an official moratorium on referring to either as "CJ"! How many threads have been derailed by this so far?

I was just about to say that. I honestly don't know which CJ was being referred to in this thread. And I'm all kinds of smart.

That shouldn't take long.

Does ANYBODY expect both of them to stick? ;)

Last edited:

i always understood CJ as jackson because he is one of the most talked about guy on the forum. only time jones gets mentioned is when he drops a pass or muffs a punt or something during the preseason so i didnt assume we were discussing hobson vs jones. :)

I was just about to say that. I honestly don't know which CJ was being referred to in this thread. And I'm all kinds of smart.

I'm thinking of taking a new approach to referring to our 5th receiver. I'm spelling his name A-i-k-e-n or V-e-n-t-r-o-n-e.

Very disappointed in Hobson. It's almost as if he's disinterested and looking for a ticket out of town.

Hobson signed a 1 year deal with the knowledge the Pats had just drafted a rookie ILB, and Hobson would have a good chance to start, at least early on, and increase his future value.

Then he got a look at Mayo in training camp and realized he was dreaming, and he would never start ahead of Mayo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes