Interesting Bradshaw comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartwright

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8553440/FOX-NFL-Sunday-Roundtable:-Week-2

Here is what Terry said relative to the TB injury:

TB: "One of the biggest problems when Brady got hurt is that Tom over-strided. Normally, you don't want to stride that long. He really stepped way out. His left foot should have been back a good two feet. Easily. One of the things I learned was to throw off my right leg and keep my left leg loose. When Tom stepped like that, he really exposed his leg. He was really stretched out. There is no give in the leg when you do that. Tom's knee was locked when he took that hit and that's why he's out for the season."

Interesting take. I don't think he is being critical necessarily. Does it sound like his mechanics should have been coached differently? When you are throwing the short ball, that is one thing, but hitting the deep ball requires a qb to step into the throw, doesn't it?

I'm not sure why you linked that, Mo, that thread is related to what Carroll had to say about Cassel.

Anyway, regarding the Bradshaw comment: I was thinking the same thing when I watched the play--and had it replayed in my nightmares. The other thing that struck me, and something I haven't really seen in the media thus far, is that Brady would normally have taken a quick sidestep THEN stepped into that throw. I really think the ankle was still bothering him to a degree, and not having live action to get him into true 'game shape' he was a little bit slower in reading/reacting to the pressure.

What's done is done and we can't dwell on it, but I think the lack of preseason snaps for Brady had a profound effect on this season.

I think Bradshaw's point is to show why it happened not to say there is blame. I don't think he meant that if he had been healthy he wouldn't have done it or if he had training camp he would have been in better timing or that someone taught him bad mechanics. Just that it wasa misfortunate thing that he did step like that that at the moment or he may still be here.

It seems to me that even the best mechanincs and best timing is going to still leave you vulnerable plenty of times throughout the course of a season and this time when he was vulnerable he got it in the right place (well the wrong place).

TB: "One of the biggest problems when Brady got hurt is that Tom over-strided. Normally, you don't want to stride that long. He really stepped way out. His left foot should have been back a good two feet. Easily. One of the things I learned was to throw off my right leg and keep my left leg loose. When Tom stepped like that, he really exposed his leg. He was really stretched out. There is no give in the leg when you do that. Tom's knee was locked when he took that hit and that's why he's out for the season."

Interesting take. I don't think he is being critical necessarily. Does it sound like his mechanics should have been coached differently? When you are throwing the short ball, that is one thing, but hitting the deep ball requires a qb to step into the throw, doesn't it?

Regardless of what Tom should/may/not have been doing, the breakdown by Bradshaw is spot on! It really is an excellent analysis. Thanks, for that! :D

Excellent analysis from Bradshaw. But this was not Brady's fault. Honestly the playcalling scared the heck out of me that day, I was like, what are they doing not running the ball, Tom is gonna get beat up. We all thought Brady would ease himself into the flow of the game and the Pats would let Maroney and Morris pound the rock. The way Brady was throwing the ball in that game, you would have thought that Pats were down by 20. I'm not mad at Pollard, I'm kinda ticked at McDaniels for the ultra aggressive playcalling. Why do this against the Chiefs? You can throw the ball 8-10 times a game and still beat them. If it's Indy or SD, yeah I can totally understand opening up the pass game early and holding your breath with Brady's dropbacks.

Tiger Woods' golf season ended early because he had a tendency to really snap into his left leg as well. Different sport, different motions... just a strange similarity in the 2 best in their sports going down with bad ACLs in their lead leg.

Excellent analysis from Bradshaw. But this was not Brady's fault. Honestly the playcalling scared the heck out of me that day, I was like, what are they doing not running the ball, Tom is gonna get beat up. We all thought Brady would ease himself into the flow of the game and the Pats would let Maroney and Morris pound the rock. The way Brady was throwing the ball in that game, you would have thought that Pats were down by 20. I'm not mad at Pollard, I'm kinda ticked at McDaniels for the ultra aggressive playcalling. Why do this against the Chiefs? You can throw the ball 8-10 times a game and still beat them. If it's Indy or SD, yeah I can totally understand opening up the pass game early and holding your breath with Brady's dropbacks.

Hasn't that been the Patriots MO under BB/TB though? Throw at them what they're not expecting. Some games we've seen them open up with 8 straight running plays, others it's two straight series of passes. I see nothing wrong with opening up with some passes early to keep the Chiefs guessing--because as you said most people expected a balanced attack to start the game.

Last edited:
I think Bradshaw's point is to show why it happened not to say there is blame. I don't think he meant that if he had been healthy he wouldn't have done it or if he had training camp he would have been in better timing or that someone taught him bad mechanics. Just that it wasa misfortunate thing that he did step like that that at the moment or he may still be here.

It seems to me that even the best mechanincs and best timing is going to still leave you vulnerable plenty of times throughout the course of a season and this time when he was vulnerable he got it in the right place (well the wrong place).

I'm not sure if this was directed to my reply, but I wasn't assigning blame to anyone--least of all Brady. I don't think it can be denied that some in-game action would have better prepared him for week 1, but that wasn't something that was in the cards this year with the ankle injury. No blame on anyone, that's the way it goes some times.

I'm not sure if this was directed to my reply, but I wasn't assigning blame to anyone--least of all Brady. I don't think it can be denied that some in-game action would have better prepared him for week 1, but that wasn't something that was in the cards this year with the ankle injury. No blame on anyone, that's the way it goes some times.

Not neccessarily directed at anyone but everyone who thinks his sitting a few games or the lack of attendance in offseason training was to blame. It was a fluke play that could have happended week one of the playoffs like to Palmer or week one of the season.

Some-in game action undoubtedly would have had him better prepared for week 1 but not to avoid crazy fluke play. He would have had better timing with Moss and Welker and maybe a few of the off plays we saw on that first drive wouldn't have been.

One thing I noticed on the play I haven't seen mentioned yet: Watch closely and you'll see Tom's left foot SLIDE FORWARD on the turf just before he's hit. It lends credence to Bradshaw's observation that he over strided on the throw.

One thing I noticed on the play I haven't seen mentioned yet: Watch closely and you'll see Tom's left foot SLIDE FORWARD on the turf just before he's hit. It lends credence to Bradshaw's observation that he over strided on the throw.

Speaking of having not heard anyone complain about yet but who thinks that maybe just maybe this would not have happended had the team still be on natural grass. the turf is kind of slick and may have caused the above mentioned slide and grass is more foregiving.

He saw a player on the ground in front of him with one his teammates laying on him. He had an on-rushing passer coming from his right. The natural place to go in that instance is to step up, especially trying to make a throw 30 yards downfield. If anything, I think he was trying to move himself further out of the way of the rush to his right that would pass behind him. I don't think he ever expected the player on the ground in front of him to make a wild lunge at this legs that would likely lead to what the rules specify is an illegal hit.

I know the topic of the hit has been debated ad nauseum, but whether to cause injury intentionally or not, lunging at a qb's legs...especially when it is right in the direction you know he is going to step...isn't cool. Swipe with your arms if you don't want to give up on the play, but lunging with your helmet, sorry, still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. You can say Brady overstepped or overstrided or whatever you want to call it, but a low lunging defender is the reason Brady is out for the year.

He saw a player on the ground in front of him with one his teammates laying on him. He had an on-rushing passer coming from his right. The natural place to go in that instance is to step up, especially trying to make a throw 30 yards downfield. If anything, I think he was trying to move himself further out of the way of the rush to his right that would pass behind him. I don't think he ever expected the player on the ground in front of him to make a wild lunge at this legs that would likely lead to what the rules specify is an illegal hit.

I know the topic of the hit has been debated ad nauseum, but whether to cause injury intentionally or not, lunging at a qb's legs...especially when it is right in the direction you know he is going to step...isn't cool. Swipe with your arms if you don't want to give up on the play, but lunging with your helmet, sorry, still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. You can say Brady overstepped or overstrided or whatever you want to call it, but a low lunging defender is the reason Brady is out for the year.

That was a really good break down of what happened, Dirty play whether it was illegall or not. lunge at a QBs legs or any players legs, ask the deline if the like cut blocks, or remember the Bobby Wade block on Rodney...block was legall but Rodney was still pretty upset about the hit being dirty.

The more i read about this sad incident , the more i get sick and furious ! Every time i watch the play, i am convinced that Pollard went low to the knee . Dont care of any explanation to Tom's play, the fact he is out is because Pollard dived and lunged towards DIRECTLY to the knee . Tell me whats legal in the play ? I cant believe apart from Moss, Wilfork and few other players on our team, nobody outside New England has come out and said that the play was at least illegal !!! Can you all imagine had it been Rodney making that play , what a field day the Media all over the country would have ?

The more i read about this sad incident , the more i get sick and furious ! Every time i watch the play, i am convinced that Pollard went low to the knee . Dont care of any explanation to Tom's play, the fact he is out is because Pollard dived and lunged towards DIRECTLY to the knee . Tell me whats legal in the play ? I cant believe apart from Moss, Wilfork and few other players on our team, nobody outside New England has come out and said that the play was at least illegal !!! Can you all imagine had it been Rodney making that play , what a field day the Media all over the country would have ?

I think we all need to stop crying about it being a cheap shot. It's football. What is he supposed to do, just lay on the field and just flap his arms? Tom stepped in, Pollard lunged at his legs since that was the only thing he could do to help his team. The result was extremely unfortunate. I am also tired of "the media hates us" talk and "can you imagine if a Pat went after someone's leg...."

Here are two examples of plays that other teams think were Pat cheap shots (I think the Vrabel play is awesome)....

It's football - sometimes plays look a little cheap when guys are just playing hard....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3POT8n2Qk3g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bplFfY75co

I agree w/everything in your post exc. the bolded part.

Skippy's play-calling was, again, arrogantly stupid.

But Pollard's hit was delivered w/bad intentions, i.e.: intent to injure. If a QB is standing in the pocket, if he is not running away from the pocket, if he is not acting as a ball-carrier, then he cannot - or should not - be hit at or below the knee, esp. helmet-first. That the league deemed this hit as legal is one of the most disgraceful, hate-filled, gutless decisions in the history of NA pro sports. Bob Kraft must stop playing the good soldier and start zealously defending his team, before he has no team left worth defending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back