PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting article by Malcolm Butler on the pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Canin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Here's the Player's Tribune article. Even after all this time there are new insights in the play, namely that Butler knew Lockette was going inside because his first step was outside. Just generally an interesting article.

I fahggin' LOVE this kid. Thanks Ken. Awesome!

Nice.
thanks for the link

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why Butler says that taking a step outside signals the move inside. Can't the step outside mean Lockette was going outside?

I think he was implying that Lockette would take a false step then make his move fake in then go out vice versa.
They saw it on tape and counted on the fact that he would stay true to form.
And hit huge on it.

Shows that Seattle was totally predictable and sniffed out on that play. Imagine if there was an option for Lockette to read Butler, then do a stutter step and go to the right. It would have been the most wide open touchdown in Super Bowl history and Butler would have been the goat. At best, butler would have been caught leaning the wrong way, but the result would have been the same, but closer.

Another example of how execution was more important than the play called, had it been run better. Heads up options for either one of those receivers and it's an easy touchdown, but their execution was predictable and BB drilled the plays and took advantage of that.

It's fun to watch that play over and over anyway.

Imagine the play changed to a fake step right, lean left, plant the foot and go right after all. He would have had that entire half of the end zone for pitch and catch.

Part of a great play. Butler watched him like a hawk, but as soon as he leaned the other way, if Lockette quick stepped back to the right side of the end zone, he was dead.

Pause at 36 seconds, then 37 seconds and realize there aren't even tumbleweeds on that entire half of the end zone, if Lockette gives a head fake in, but plants his foot toward the corner.

Last edited:
Watch, especially, the second angle and imagine Lockette's play is to fake the slant behind the pick, but really to plant the left foot and run toward the corner of the end zone. Totally open, no chance.

Another interesting aspect is to isolate Browner, realizing his man could be the receiver not only couldn't he set up that pick, he couldn't have gotten open on either side. Basically, you just can't do a thing with Browner within a couple yards. I'll miss him, but understand how losing a hall of fame shut down corner makes him much less valuable.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why Butler says that taking a step outside signals the move inside. Can't the step outside mean Lockette was going outside?

Most receivers take a jab step in man coverage for multiple reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes