PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting analysis of Pats drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is that .500 drafting isnt that good when you had the opportunity to draft .750 which is good. Thats been the argument all along. The OPs and Dues's analysis proves my point.

Vollmer missed 12 games last year and inst at OTAs. Are we going to call him a hit based on 1 season? Are we calling Spikes a hit based on the end of last season?

Trading back for an additional 2nd round pick has not worked out in terms of winning a World Championship.

What complete nonsense.

You and your buddy the Douche need to get together and realize what's needed for "analysis".

Percentages mean squat because percentages only work based on standard drafting format.

What it comes down to is 53 quality players.

A team that goes 5 of 5 draft is at 100%. A team that hits 7 of 10 draft is at 70%.

Two extra quality players is what matters toward 53 players not some idiot "success rate".

Also, limited intellect doesn't allow for any understanding where a franchise is. The reality is the aquisition of extra picks has a prime importance in turning over the roster. The reality is this roster has been essentially turned over with minimal loss in the W/L column.

Extra picks to extra players means "reloading" vs "rebuilding".

The other component of understanding where a franchise is relates to winning deep in the season. John Madden has stated that 2-3 years of playoff football was required before winning a Super Bowl.

A team that had over 50% of snaps taken by 1st/2nd year players goes 14-2 but doesn't win it all......and we have dummies "thinking" something is wrong.

A team filled with recently drafted young players has years of football ahead. Only a buffoon couldn't grasp this as going forward and pull some nonsense "championship" comment.

Not so at all.

Simply:
Would you rather have one First-Round pick or three Seventh-Round picks?

Everyone would rather have one First.
What? But one is fewer than three, right?

The probability of success changes significantly round to round.
The success rate of First round picks is far higher than Seventh round picks.
Belichick has a famously high success rate in the First. Under any analysis, his success rate in the Second is far lower.

To maximize the expected value of his picks, you would compare the success rate of First and Seconds, and then compare the market value of First and Seconds.

If, for example:
- Success rate of Firsts = 90%
- Success rate of Seconds = 50%
- One First = Two Seconds
Then:
Expected value of First = 90% or Two Seconds (50% plus 50%) = 100%
You would rather have two Seconds: 100% total net expected value is better than 90% total net expected value.

You would need finer tuning than this. But at it's heart, that's the simple calculus.

Notice what the Rams did this draft season. They turned the #2 pick into the14th and two 2nd round picks. The above analysis the the best way to approach the draft when you are rebuilding the roster and need quantities of bodies.

Nobody should be suprised BB traded up this year. With few roster spots available, the need to target specific qualites was more important. This can only happen if the bulk of the team is already on the roster.

The point is that .500 drafting isnt that good when you had the opportunity to draft .750 which is good.

You are just making up numbers. THAT is the point.

Thats been the argument all along.
The OPs and Dues's analysis proves my point.
No it doesnt. Your point is you decided in a vacuum that 50% is bad.

Vollmer missed 12 games last year and inst at OTAs. Are we going to call him a hit based on 1 season? Are we calling Spikes a hit based on the end of last season?
Are you calling them back picks?

Trading back for an additional 2nd round pick has not worked out in terms of winning a World Championship.
When did the Patriots trade back to get an additional second round pick?
You are arguing that something that didn't even happen was a bad move.

The point is that .500 drafting isnt that good when you had the opportunity to draft .750 which is good.

What is this "opportunity" of which you speak? Using your own analogy, you might was well say "65% passing isn't that good when you had the opportunity to complete 80% which is good."

Hitting on 75% of 2nd rounders over the long term isn't just good, it's spectacular. If you set your minimum standard at "spectacular," then disappointment is inevitable.

We talked about this earlier in the thread -- "Trading back for an additional 2nd round pick" is a myth. In every case but 1, the extra 2nd round picks were acquired by trading into the future to gain value, not by trading back. They've actually trade UP in the 2nd more than they've traded out of the 1st.

What is this "opportunity" of which you speak? Using your own analogy, you might was well say "65% passing isn't that good when you had the opportunity to complete 80% which is good."

Hitting on 75% of 2nd rounders over the long term isn't just good, it's spectacular. If you set your minimum standard at "spectacular," then disappointment is inevitable.

We talked about this earlier in the thread -- "Trading back for an additional 2nd round pick" is a myth. In every case but 1, the extra 2nd round picks were acquired by trading into the future to gain value, not by trading back. They've actually trade UP in the 2nd more than they've traded out of the 1st.

It's only a partial myth.

Our idiot "contrarians" can't recognize that "trading back" gives the franchise the ammo and flexibility to expend when "trading up".

It's only a partial myth.

Our idiot "contrarians" can't recognize that "trading back" gives the franchise the ammo and flexibility to expend when "trading up".

They certainly do trade back at times, as seen this year. But the myth is that the Patriots give up 1st round picks to get more 2nds. They mostly push picks forward to future years, earning "interest" in the process.

They certainly do trade back at times, as seen this year. But the myth is that the Patriots give up 1st round picks to get more 2nds. They mostly push picks forward to future years, earning "interest" in the process.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not they decide to go back to that approach this year. We could see the Patriots trade out of round one in order to restart the process.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not they decide to go back to that approach this year. We could see the Patriots trade out of round one in order to restart the process.

Good point...to me, the big shocker of this year's draft was that the Pats didn't acquire a single 2013 pick! But I don't believe any other teams did either, at least on draft day. Maybe it was just such a shallow draft that nobody thought it was worthwhile giving up future value.

I'll randomly predict that they trade their 2013 3rd + 5th for a 2013 6th + 2014 2nd.

Last edited:
Good point...to me, the big shocker of this year's draft was that the Pats didn't acquire a single 2013 pick! But I don't believe any other teams did either, at least on draft day. Maybe it was just such a shallow draft that nobody thought it was worthwhile giving up future value.

I'll randomly predict that they trade their 2013 3rd + 5th for a 2013 6th + 2014 2nd.

What's available will be important.

BB has the discipline to trade a pick if there is no player he wants or if players are available later that he actually wants.

What's available will be important.

BB has the discipline to trade a pick if there is no player he wants or if players are available later that he actually wants.

Yep, that's what made my prediction so random. :) But I have to think that having no extra picks to play with cramps BB's style. As you said earlier, more picks = more flexibility to make moves of all kinds.

Picking up some late rounders for potential camp cuts looks like a realistic possibility this year, too.

There's nothing ironic about it at all. All we're using the percentages from a study.

It was noted that those players who were called misses with less than 4 years in (i.e. Brace) could still change categories. It's silly to pretend that Brace hasn't been a miss to this point, though.

3 years, 13 games played, 0 starts. That's what we've got to go on. He's a miss.

True, but that became a jump off point to a broader discussion.

Money matters, but we'd have to analyze that slot by slot, and not just round by round. You're welcome to have at that, obviously, but I don't see it as being particularly significant outside the top few picks, particularly when (as noted by looking at the Patriots and Giants) both approaches can be successful even for teams with a lot of success who are spending a lot of time drafting at the bottom of the rounds. If the money were really that big a factor, teams wouldn't have been looking to lock up players for as long as possible. They'd have been angling for short contracts that could be addressed earlier into a player's career. It's one heck of a stretch for the Patriots (and/or their fans) to be moaning about the money when they were the team most strident in forcing 6 year deals down the throats of their draftees when such deals were still possible.

Also, the cap was crap for a pretty good period of time. The fact that the current cap has become restrictive and made things a bit more like they were when the cap was first introduced doesn't retroactively make the cap of the past 5+ years more meaningful.

The Patriots use a wide variety of ways to get players. Also, a player like a Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Lewis can cover up for some bad drafting, so "the record" doesn't speak for the drafting. It speaks for the overall program, which is not the same thing.

I don't really get the logic behind the apologists running to argue against the study or cry about someone like Hill/Brace being categorized as a miss. Generally speaking, we're looking at methods of drafting and trying to figure out when/if either is superior and when/if one might wish to change strategies. We're not bashing on BB's drafting here, or anything of the sort.

Oh, my ...

You concluded that the Patriots had a slightly worse than average success rate in the second round. The careful reader understands that your conclusion is contingent on certain assumptions, namely -

• the study cited by Casserly and, in particular, the 50% second round hit rate, provide accurate and valid benchmarks;
  • the unspecified criteria used to sort hits from misses in the study are the same criteria you used to evaluate the hits/misses (e.g., how would Casserly have treated Hill?);
  • your own subjective evaluation of hits/misses is valid and accurate. (On this latter point, I would say that your judgments are certainly reasonable but that other judgments may be reasonable as well.)

There are of course other things to consider -

• the sample size (15 observations since 2000) is way too small arrive at any meaningful conclusion regarding drafting effectivness;
  • injuries are largely unpredictable and account for a significant share of the misses. (By the way, the health aspect of drafting success is largely random and offers little insight into the efficacy of the drafting stategy)
  • the Patriots hit rate may have an inherent downward bias due to their average drafting position, their on-average higher number of picks and the relative strength of their roster compared to others going into any draft

Further, my impression is that the Patriots rely more on observed performance and less on where a player was drafted in making roster and playing time decisions. To the extent that other teams are less willing to recognize mistakes than NE, this creates another downward bias.

Overall, I don't think you can reach a meaningful conclusion regarding any team's draft performance for any single round.

In other areas -

1. Money most certainly does matter at every at every level of the draft. The model used in the paper cited by the OP looked at performance value versus compensation in finding the late first/early second round "sweet spot." I would expect that NE and most other teams have built models that have looked at recent draft history to assess the expected performance value of each pick (this is after all the genesis of the draft pick point value chart) and have overlaid compensation to arrive at some overall utility for any given pick. In the end, all draft decisions are necessarily subjective, but the discipline of building and constantly refining such quantitative models has been proven time and time again to enhance decision-making processes in virtually all aspects of business.

2. Felger's "cap is crap" argument is that any team can manipulate the cap and a small number to player contracts to add players. I do not disagree at all, yet I think it misses a bigger picture. Signing a high profile free agent (or drafting Suh or Bradford) affects the rest of the roster. A big contract inevitably means: 1) you will have to cut players you would like to keep; and 2) you will not be able to sign players that you would like. It's a calculated risk but the cost of a mistake is terribly high and the effects are felt over a number of years. This has been true since the advent of the salary cap. The new CBA did lessen the cost of rookies (especially earlier in the draft) and that has clearly affected the value proposition posited by the author of the paper cited by the OP.

3. The hits are more important than the misses. Wheatley and Gronk were drafted using the same rationale (talented player with injury problems). Gronk's performance value relative to compensation is among the highest in the league. The fact that Wheatley didn't pan out doesn't necessarily make it a bad decision to take him. It's all about risk versus reward. Good decisions can have bad outcomes - that's life.

4. I'm not intending to be an apologist. The Patriots of the past decade are among the most successful franchises in all of sports. Other teams (and indeed other businesses) study the Patriots to see what they can learn about how to be successful. There are lessons here for all of us. And I have no doubt that Bill Belichick and the Patriots are far more critical of their own draft perfromance than anyone here ever dreamed of being. No doubt they study both successes and failures to see what they can learn and how they can improve.

Deus - Sorry for the length of the reply. I agree it's an interesting discussion (and all in good fun).

Last edited:
Oh, my ...

You concluded that the Patriots had a slightly worse than average success rate in the second round. The careful reader understands that your conclusion is contingent on certain assumptions, namely -

• the study cited by Casserly and, in particular, the 50% second round hit rate, provide accurate and valid benchmarks;
  • the unspecified criteria used to sort hits from misses in the study are the same criteria you used to evaluate the hits/misses (e.g., how would Casserly have treated Hill?);
  • your own subjective evaluation of hits/misses is valid and accurate. (On this latter point, I would say that your judgments are certainly reasonable but that other judgments may be reasonable as well.)

It's a list. Based upon a study. The list has the Patriots just under average hit rate in the second round, but clearly above average in the first round. The study parameters for defining a "hit" were in the link. C'mon, Zeus, if you're going to go down this road you've got to at least read the article.

There are of course other things to consider -

• the sample size (15 observations since 2000) is way too small arrive at any meaningful conclusion regarding drafting effectivness;
  • injuries are largely unpredictable and account for a significant share of the misses. (By the way, the health aspect of drafting success is largely random and offers little insight into the efficacy of the drafting stategy)
  • the Patriots hit rate may have an inherent downward bias due to their average drafting position, their on-average higher number of picks and the relative strength of their roster compared to others going into any draft

There really isn't more to consider. It's a simple, straightforward study, which is what makes it so easy to use as a starting point. We can opine that player X might have been the greatest player in history if he hadn't gotten injured, but that doesn't make him a hit instead of a miss.

Further, my impression is that the Patriots rely more on observed performance and less on where a player was drafted in making roster and playing time decisions. To the extent that other teams are less willing to recognize mistakes than NE, this creates another downward bias.

This is one of the Patriots myths that probably needs to be publicly and thoroughly debunked, but I don't really want to waste the time it would take to go down the list of all 32 NFL teams for enough years back to make people happy. Suffice it to say that teams dump bad players. Guys like Cody Brown, Ryan Leaf and Limas Sweed can vouch for that.

Overall, I don't think you can reach a meaningful conclusion regarding any team's draft performance for any single round.

Come on.... :bricks:

1. Money most certainly does matter at every at every level of the draft. The model used in the paper cited by the OP looked at performance value versus compensation in finding the late first/early second round "sweet spot." I would expect that NE and most other teams have built models that have looked at recent draft history to assess the expected performance value of each pick (this is after all the genesis of the draft pick point value chart) and have overlaid compensation to arrive at some overall utility for any given pick. In the end, all draft decisions are necessarily subjective, but the discipline of building and constantly refining such quantitative models has been proven time and time again to enhance decision-making processes in virtually all aspects of business.

No, sorry, but it doesn't. The money differences after round 2 are so small as to be essentially irrelevant when you're dealing with high caps such as now, when they are over $100 million dollars. Furthermore, the flattening of the money at the top of the draft minimizing the financial difference at the top of the draft is, in fact, part of why there's the theory of the "new" sweet spot.

2. Felger's "cap is crap" argument is that any team can manipulate the cap and a small number to player contracts to add players. I do not disagree at all, yet I think it misses a bigger picture. Signing a high profile free agent (or drafting Suh or Bradford) affects the rest of the roster. A big contract inevitably means: 1) you will have to cut players you would like to keep; and 2) you will not be able to sign players that you would like. It's a calculated risk but the cost of a mistake is terribly high and the effects are felt over a number of years. This has been true since the advent of the salary cap. The new CBA did lessen the cost of rookies (especially earlier in the draft) and that has clearly affected the value proposition posited by the author of the paper cited by the OP.

No, Zeus, this has not been true since the advent of the cap. In fact, it became laughably untrue during the last CBA extension, which is precisely the point of why the cap has been little more than an accounting gimmick in recent years.

3. The hits are more important than the misses. Wheatley and Gronk were drafted using the same rationale (talented player with injury problems). Gronk's performance value relative to compensation is among the highest in the league. The fact that Wheatley didn't pan out doesn't necessarily make it a bad decision to take him. It's all about risk versus reward. Good decisions can have bad outcomes - that's life.

You're arguing a personal opinion that's completely outside the scope, which is fine, but doesn't really apply here. In context, the fact that Wheatley didn't pan out does, necessarily, make it a bad decision to take him, because the context is hit or miss and Wheatley's a miss.

4. I'm not intending to be an apologist. The Patriots of the past decade are among the most successful franchises in all of sports. Other teams (and indeed other businesses) study the Patriots to see what they can learn about how to be successful. There are lessons here for all of us. And I have no doubt that Bill Belichick and the Patriots are far more critical of their own draft perfromance than anyone here ever dreamed of being. No doubt they study both successes and failures to see what they can learn and how they can improve.

Deus - Sorry for the length of the reply. I agree it's an interesting discussion (and all in good fun).

The Patriots study other teams, as well. It's not as if the world is all focused on the Patriots. Teams and businesses study the Giants. Teams and businesses study the Steelers.

This is, as you noted, all in good fun, but it's completely undermined if we can't be honest about guys who were misses being misses, and if we have to attack a study because we're worried it might possibly make the Patriots look less than perfect, even though the study was a general study of the entire league and not an anti-Patriots study.

As an aside, since you're looking to discredit the study for some reason, the most obvious potential weakness in the study isn't injured players, IMO. It's good players who don't become starters because of a particular team having excellent players in front of them, like Green Bay with Rodgers behind Favre, although even there Rodgers became the starter in year 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back