Welcome to PatsFans.com

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism - (MERGED)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 2, 2012.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Not exactly the same thing, but this brings to mind something Huxley has the kids being drilled in saying in Brave New World:

I'm sure your old man was making a much more arch distinction... as in, know-it-alls not really knowing much but talking a lot.

Just brought this to mind.

PFnV

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I just find it humorous when Obama worshipers try to diss Cruz's intelligence when he is smarter than Obama. :D

3. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +199 / 13 / -7

I think it is hard to really know what politicians really believe, I suspect they are mostly opportunists, they see a way to make money and wield power and say what it takes to achieve those goals.

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

I think to be effective, they have to be opportunists. I also think that when they take "opportunism" to extremes, well... today. It's a fine line (self-interest versus self-interest in the service of a common interest.)

So I can tell you without much compunction that most politicians, no matter what they say on the stump, really only care about their pet political projects. I think they'd all like to do something remembered favorably by history, and I think that's ego-driven. I think that along the way they need their donors' money, and deals with the devil get made. I think there's an element of some character you don't like in every politician: the used car salesman, the three-card-monte con-man, or in Obama's case, the college professor.

But it's just as destructive to be a pure ideologue as it is to be an opportunist. It's a matter of balance -- assuming that we accept a few things: 1, that normal people don't try to be candidates. That's just from personal observation. They're abnormal -- pathological in the bad cases, extraordinary talents in their field in the good cases. They're not just some guy you want to get a beer with. 2, that they're in it for power. It might be power to go "I'm the freakin president!" when they go to bed at night... or it might be power to do good for the country, something that actually makes a difference for the better. But they still want power. 3, that they're pretty much shameless and they're egomaniacs. Given our process of weeding them out, that's what we're selecting for.

We can only do better once we demand better: when we stop re-posting or re-tweeting or hooting and hollering about the great one-liner in the debate, etc.

That's the level at which we presently process politics. I think that's changing a little... I hope so.

PFnV

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

there are some good politicians ... a few I can mention is current RI Senator Jack Reed and former RI Senator Claiborne Pell. People that are/were not often in the news unless they were part of a bill that was good for the people. They work in the background in DC ... that's where all the good ones are ... they don't seek publicity ... they seek a legacy that says they truly were the public servants of their constituents.