Welcome to PatsFans.com

Insurance won’t cover child's critical leukemia treatment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Mar 17, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

Primary Physician Care, a privately-owned insurance company based in Charlotte, North Carolina, has now twice refused to pay for a 3-year-old's special leukemia treatment recommended by doctors at Duke University Hospital—even after the child's mother called the insurance company and spoke personally to the president.

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880313132&source=rss
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

In this particular case its sad to say, but the therapy regimen he is being put on has almost no chance of success. Should the insurance company be forced to pay for treatment that will most likely have no effect on outcome? Honestly I don't know the right answer to that question. You'd like to have them pay for every opportunity, but is that realistic? It makes for a tough decision. If he's my child, sure, I go for it, I'd try anything, but at some point a cost - benefit analysis needs to be made by the people paying. This unfortunately will be true whether the program is run by a private company or by the government. In fact I worry that a government run program will be even worse at these kinds of decisions than the current private system. There's only so much money to go around in providing healthcare, and exhausting every single therapeutic opportunity no matter what the chances of success will bankrupt the system.
  3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

I hate insurance companies !

They should have to pay as long as the procedure is approved by the
    AMA and two doctors sign off on the recomendation of treatment.
  4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

As long as you don't wind up being one of the people complaining about the cost of your health insurance, that's fine.
  5. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I like the idea of putting the decision making in the hands of doctors rather than bureaucrats. I guess the question is would the cost of that kind of process be prohibitive? I mean a doctor is going to try anything that has even a 0.001% chance of working irrespective of cost. Of course it should be tried, but is there any system that cold actually pay for all those treatment options? I'd love to think that there is, but I'm skeptical it would work, even with a huge, highly funded government run program.

It sounds awful, but at some point the decision, and the payment, has to be left up to the individual, doesn't it?
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Wtf.............
  7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There's one ridiculously vague passage in the article:

"But then his doctors heard from doctors at Duke University Medical Center about a treatment protocol that has proved effective in cases like Paxten’s."

Fact is that most insurance companies will not pay for protocols unless used for the original purpose intended. Sorry, but that's a fact of life. If every insurance company had to pay for every treatment that worked in "cases similar to such-and-such" then we'd all be paying... oh, about $250,000 annually for health insurance.

This is a fundamental difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals love to play on emotions... here's a picture of a cute kid that has a very deadly disease - how can you be such a heartless bastard and not help...? Conservatives approach from a much more logical, rational standpoint.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You're oversimplifying. The kid's doctors approve of the procedure. We don't know who it is in the insurance company that disagrees. The exact person or people who denied payment is secret. We're not talking about putting magical stones on the kid's body to suck the evil spirits away. We're talking about a well-documented procedure that's working. The kid is unquestionably getting better.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Of course the doctors approve - they've got nothing to lose. But as I said above, insurance companies generally do not approve of protocols except for their original intended purpose.
  10. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Funny, how the same people who were screaming to keep Terry Schiavo breathing in a vegetative state for 15+ years at great cost are now protesting to pull the plug on a 3 year old kid who is alert and wants to live because of the "high cost".

Congratulations. You folks just defined yourselves in this thread.
  11. shmessy

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Update:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/paxtenmitchell

Hello Family and Friends of the Mitchell’s! This is Beth Riddick, Minister with Children, at First Baptist Church Asheville, NC. Rob and Amy asked me to send this update. After much talking, praying, and consulting with doctors Rob and Amy decided to take Paxten home for as they said, "There are no more treatments in the medical world." In a matter of a few hours, plans were in place for a Make a Wish trip to Disney World and to have supportive care once they are back home in Asheville. They will be leaving for Disney World first thing Tuesday morning, 3/18, and will return Tuesday, 3/25. Several folks are also working on a party for Paxten for Thursday, March 27. Once those plans are finalized I will send another update with all of the details.

Before leaving the hospital, the nurses and staff gave Paxten a Scooby-Doo Party with cake, balloons, streamers, and games. Paxten had a great time with all of his hospital friends! Paxten is still a little irritable, but that is from all of the steroids still in his system. Hopefully, he will be feeling much better in the next day or so and will enjoy being at Disney World out in the fresh air and sunshine!

Over the next few days and weeks, Rob and Amy want to focus their attention, care, energy, and love on Paxten, Arie, and being at home as a family. For that reason, they will be limiting their correspondence and they have asked me to send updates through Caring Bridge. They are so appreciative of all of the support, love and care that they receive, for that is giving them strength for these days. Please feel free to continue posting words of encouragement and prayer here and they will read them as they are able.
  12. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No no, you didn't read, the treatment was NOT effective, and was NOT expected to be. The doctors will approve anything that has anything above a 0% chance of working (which they should), even if its just 0.001%. Can any system afford to pay for any procedure no matter what the cost? I just don't think so.
  13. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Who was paying for Schiavo's care? A separate issue, but I approve of using some method other than starvation to end lives in that situation. I mean, I wouldn't even let a goldfish starve to death, much less a human, no matter what their mental condition.

Sorry, way off topic there, but I did want to point out that not everyone that is supporting the insurance co's decision here was on board with the Schiavo thing.
  14. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My hats off,sir.
    Bingo , another gem from Shmessy.

[​IMG]
  15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

So I'm assuming this is stating that the super magic potion actually didn't/doesn't work or did I midread that ?

Also, quit putting us all into little boxes, I was not for keeping the vegetable alive but also realize we shouldn't be spending huge dollars on quackery.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The update leads me to believe things went south; but the link was pretty clear with the statement:

which can be found 3 or four lines from the bottom if you follow Wes' link in post 1.

Anyway if the kid's gotta go, I hope he goes easy:(
  17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You go into the box you're in because of statements just like this. "[T]he vegetable", as you so eloquently referred to her, had a name. It was Terry.
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

This update in today's newspaper has the sad details:

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/NEWS01/80317116

Deepest prayers are with little Paxten and his family.

I'm sorry, but I stand by my belief that the DOCTORS and FAMILY should make the decision, not some accounting bureaucrat in a cubicle who has never met the patient.

I make no apologies for hoping that Paxten can get through the next 4 weeks without chemo so he might be eligible to go to Houston cancer facility for another attempt. And I make no apologies for wanting the insurance company (who gladly accepted the Mitchell's premiums) to pay their fair share to try to save a little boy's life.
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +189 / 7 / -23

Oh I can tell, your sig is logical and rational.. as are most of your posts, what a freaking laugh that you could even post such tripe.
  20. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Sorry, you guys are just so sensitive :)