PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Instant Replay to blame for the Bad Officiating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I heard one national media guy, I can't remember his name, who actually thinks that all the bad calls have to do with replay. He said the simple solution would be to do away with any challenges.

He thinks that with instant replay, the refs are under too much pressure and can't perform their job very well.

If anything, their would be many more bad calls without replay. Think of Asante Samuel's interception in the Denver game that was originally ruled out of bounds.

Only rarely is a bad call made after instant replay (Troy Polamalu's interception being nullified).

brdmaverick said:
I heard one national media guy, I can't remember his name, who actually thinks that all the bad calls have to do with replay. He said the simple solution would be to do away with any challenges.

He thinks that with instant replay, the refs are under too much pressure and can't perform their job very well.

If anything, their would be many more bad calls without replay. Think of Asante Samuel's interception in the Denver game that was originally ruled out of bounds.

Only rarely is a bad call made after instant replay (Troy Polamalu's interception being nullified).

I agree with part of that premise. Replay isn't necessarily to blame for poor officiating - it is certainly to blame for the increased scrutiny upon the officials however.

On the other hand, it seems that as of these past couple of seasons, refs are using replay more and more as a crutch. In other words, officials huddle up and decide on the safest course of action, then leave it up to a replay challenge to sort it all out. It has possibly taken away some the decisiveness in officiating

The biggest problem with instant replay is it puts too much focus on an imperfect game.

Murphys95 said:
On the other hand, it seems that as of these past couple of seasons, refs are using replay more and more as a crutch. In other words, officials huddle up and decide on the safest course of action, then leave it up to a replay challenge to sort it all out. It has possibly taken away some the decisiveness in officiating

see to me thats whats wrong with replay.. coaches can only challenge twice.. so basically the refs can call it one way if its on the border and basically figure hey we got replay to make sure of it.. so they are making coaches use their replays up.. it should be 2 replays per half or if you win the challenge you dont lose one.

what???

brdmaverick said:

"I heard one national media guy, I can't remember his name, who actually thinks that all the bad calls have to do with replay. He said the simple solution would be to do away with any challenges.
I heard one national media guy, I can't remember his name, who actually thinks that all the bad calls have to do with replay. He said the simple solution would be to do away with any challenges."

What?? Whoever he is he is a d-bag!!!! The only saving grace IS the replay.....what they need to change however IS WHAT IT TAKES TO OVERTURN the call ONCE the replay has been looked at!!!

These morons are making a bad call (such as the rottenburger TD) and then saying "well let's look at what evidence is there to show that he DIDN'T score" The tape on that play shows the ref running along the goal line and holding up his hand with 4 fingers up.....signaling 4th and goal....at the same time a "downed" rottenburger lunges his arms and ball over the goal line and the ref all of a sudden OVERTURNS his initial call and calls it a TD.......horrible call........of course.......and now once it is made....the deal is......must have undisputeable evidence that he DIDN'T get the slightest edge of the ball onto the goal line.......Well with all this great technology.....there was only ONE view that I have seen which should clearly show that HE DIDN'T get in.....but because they couldn't get another viewpoint....they let it stand.....horrible call....and another black eye for the refs and the NFL....as it affected the outcome of the game horribly.....as I have said before....after watching coward for several years......there is a very good chance he would have taken the points and kicked the FG there........one man's opinion

I think ALL turnovers, TDs, touchbacks and safeties should be automatically reviewed. furthermore coaches should be allowed as many challenges as they have timeouts.

Look at the Hasselbeck turnover.

TO1.jpg

TO2.jpg

TO3.jpg

TO4.jpg

Without a challenge the wrong call is made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back