Welcome to PatsFans.com

Insta flip-flop

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 4 / -6

Is Romney is the most unprincipled presidential candidate ever? It's sad to watch him grovel for votes. I want Romney as the nominee because he is the least dangerous of the Republicans, but he is an embarrassment with his gaffes (Cadillac owning wife, NASCAR team owning friends, not caring about the poor, calling himself unemployed), his refusal to make a case for himself except by pandering to the Tea Party, and the ease at which he flip-flops. He's made himself into a weak candidate, and the only rationale I think for his flip flops is that he's charged with saving the Republican Party from the Tea Party, not with defeating Obama.

Mitt Romney Backtracks On Comment Opposing Blunt Amendment [UPDATE]

In an interview with Ohio News Network on Wednesday, Mitt Romney said he opposed a controversial amendment that would allow employers to opt out of covering any kind of health benefit for moral reasons. But minutes after his answer was broadcast, the Romney campaign was insisting he actually backed the bill.

“I’m not for the bill, but look, the idea of presidential candidates getting into questions about contraception within a relationship between a man and a women, husband and wife, I’m not going there.”

But within the hour, the Romney campaign was insisting that the opposite was true.

“Regarding the Blunt bill, the way the question was asked was confusing. Governor Romney supports the Blunt Bill because he believes in a conscience exemption in health care for religious institutions and people of faith," said Andrea Saul, a spokesperson for Romney.
  2. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

your trees are just the right height! i like cars!

squirrel!
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Actually, I believed him the first time re: Blunt Amendment.

I think the reason he has such trouble staying "on message," is because his personal message is far different than the message he's handing out to get elected.

I think he's a fairly liberal republican playing dress-up Tea Party with a bunch of stuffed animals.

[​IMG]
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

5. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

This is my opinion of him too Mrs. Not that I view a "liberal Republican" as a bad thing; as in my mind there are much worse "political persuasions". But he clearly is a more liberal Republican that has to get the far right (Tea Party/Religious Right) to buy into what he is selling, or in this case, has to pretend to be selling what they would be buying.

And Patters - I would argue that Romney is the most dangerous Republican still in the race. Elections are won and lost with the Independent vote. If Santorum were to get the R nomination he would have a tough time carrying any of the Independent vote (I am actually on record here saying he might win 10 states). I would actually take that statement a step further and say that if Santorum gets the nom. that "guarantees" an Obama reelection.

Romney, while certainly not perfect (none of them are) and definitely not my first choice for the nom; I would think has a decent chance against Obama, at the bare minimum the best chance of this sad sack R crowd.

It's all about the Independents Patters. We know Obama will carry people who share your views of the world, but can he carry people who prefer their government to be more down the middle*.

D

*And before anyone jumps in and says "but Obama has governed down the middle"...don't bother. Im not saying he is a "Commy" or any other overdramatic name that has been tossed his way, but I think most people, forced to look at his first term objectively, would say that it has been left of center. Also note that this opinion isn't a vote of confidence in the Republican leadership in Congress; they have been a collective waste of Oxygen. I can dislike some of the things Obama has done, while at the same time hating the current working partners (Congress)
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +533 / 2 / -9

You can't trust any filthy politician that wears a Barn Jacket, Takes Off His Suit Jacket And Tie, Or Wears Blue Jeans when giving a lying dishonest bullsh!t loaded speech.

STAY HOME THEY ALL SUCK

AMERICA HAS NO MORE PRESIDENTIAL HERO'S

SHERIFF JOE IS STILL LOOKING FOR THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE (god love him)

Death To The Great Satan America
    GOD WILLING
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +875 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

I think he would be a much better President than a candidate.

He has to talk sh!t to get the one toothers and fanatics to vote for him ... it's not easy drilling into cement.

In a general election I am sure we would get to see the
    real candidate and make a good choice then between him and Obama.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I remember him running for governor. He definitely seemed more comfortable pandering to lefties than he does pandering to righties. Why is it that crack pots like Ron Paul are the only ones who campaign the way they(d) govern?

Its a pretty established fact that campaigns are geared towards people with an 8th grad education and I'm sure there's a good reason for that. I wonder if we could ever get things to a point where its best to campaign with a 12th grader in mind if we'd end up with more campaigners like Paul?
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +515 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

What a snob!!!

:D:D:D
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 5 / -2

Mitt Romney isn't a great candidate, but Obama is anything but a great president. It will be a very close race should gas remain around $4-5, and the economy pot holing its way along. Afterall, there's a reason why the dems were pushing for Michigan voters to pull the lever for Santorum. They may not fear Romney, but they certainly see him as their toughest match up. In the end it will come down to how things are around September and October. If we'rer sputtering along and not much is better, then Romney will have a decent shot. If were moving upward and theres a solid sign of promise, then Obama gets reelected.

Something to also pay attention to is the debt limit. We might reach it around election time. If we do, that could be an interesting issue.
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

OT: I don't think independents expect pols from either party to be down the middle, but instead to be toward the middle -- and there is certainly an argument that Obama has done that (though I think there's also a very good argument that it wasn't entirely by choice and he would have preferred to be further left)
  12. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Agreed, my awesome typing voice is lacking again. That is the point I was speaking to.

There are certainly things he has been more toward the middle on for sure. But many people (some on here) would argue that since Obama hasnt been as "liberal" as they would want (whether by choice or circumstance) that by default it is "centrist".

Good friend of mine says that Obama has been a Centrist. I argued that Obama has still led from the Left, just not as Left as my buddy lies on the spectrum. I guess it all comes down to where you "stand" on the spectrum.

If I was a die hard liberal (such as my buddy), I would say Obama has been "toward the center" but in reality, if you are all the way left....you cant go further left, can ya?

From my "spot" in the spectrum; pretty much middle - zigs left or right (slightly) from time to time, Obama has been left of me.

Communist left? Certainly not. But left nonetheless.

D
  13. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +467 / 6 / -7

Obama = Bush

Romney = Kerry

Only that, assuming Romney is the eventual nominee, I expect him to lose to Obama by more than Kerry did to Bush.
  14. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

they do all suck. but jesus, republicans are the most retarded, by a far margin
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 5 / -2

Romney 10x > Kerry. At least 10x. Which isn't saying much btw.
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +467 / 6 / -7

Not even remotely true. In fact, Kerry probably has more draw with the party base than Romney does.

Romney's like a mix of Kerry's patrician aloofness and Biden's foot-in-mouth disease.
  17. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Everytime I hear Mitt talk I throw up a little in my mouth.....the man is a POS.....I guess Mr.O will have another 4 years of false promises and lies.....oh and war!

Atleast Mr.O will kiss me before he bends me over......:cool:
  18. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

at least obama killed some mother ****ers lol
  19. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

lol,

Yeah I'll give hime that! He did order and plan the death of Osama so he get's props for that!
  20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +875 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Meanwhile ...
    who wouldn't love to see the group who really run this country ... and the man who chairs that group?