Welcome to PatsFans.com

Inspiration vs. Substance ... The Obama Ministry.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Feb 7, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1710721,00.html

Hopefully Hillary stays the course. Too many voters going to the polls all revved up from the gospel like revival speeches. The country has problems that are not going to be repaired with songs and preaches to make us all feel good. Is Hillary a great candidate ... No. Is she better and more qualified than Obama ... no question in my mind on that.

Funny that in this era of voter disdain for the ultra-religious ... the democrats are jumping for joy for a man running his campaign like a gospel revival celebration at a local storefront turned into a ministry.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

This is why he might have some serious problems in a heads up election. right now style works, but once your the nominee, it becomes more and more about substance. He's extremly captivating as a speaker. That's unquestionable. Where is he on the issues though? That's what people will ask come November. He'll need specific answers, as will McCain too.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

That's a fair statement ... perhaps he will speak well on the issues ... but right now this rah-rah kumbaya stuff is making me want to puke.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He is Deval Patrick times 100.... a nice, light skinned black man that all the white liberals feel comfortable with.... and he will run (win?) on a platform that consists of absolutely nothing but touchy-feely campaign slogans. Then, if he got into office like Deval, he would do absolutely nothing of any significance whatsoever...
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

FBN, I was thinking similarly for the first time the other night. I was about to go to sleep when McCain was speaking (pun intended), and saw Obama coming to the stage and decided I'd wait and listen. My cell phone rings and it's the gf who wants to chat cuz she needs to go to sleep. Anyhow, I tell her Obama is about to speak and that I wanted to listen to him and she says "what for, he always says the same things". I listened to a few minutes and started to wonder about that. Is he a fad? Is he someone who is peaking right now, and attracting audiences, only to fade with repitition? I don't think so, but it was the first time it really crossed my mind. It was the first time I felt that. We shall see I guess. He'll need to add more substance as we go along. Especially when the pubs pick on his record.

Obi, I'd never heard of Patrick till the governors race. When I first saw him on TV, I was impressed with his ability to articulate. However, after hearing "together we can" about 100 times in 2 weeks, I quickly realized that he was an empty suit. He had nothing else to say. I'm waiting for my property taxes to go down like he promised. Obama at least, is a Senator, and he's far more intelligent, and substansive than Deval. Still though, Obama needs more specifics. Deval is totally in over his head as governor. Hey, you get what you deserve. The people of this state never cease to show me how stupid they are. Afterall, we're the Kennedy state right?