Not open for further replies.

Xzibit23

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
http://www.insidebayarea.com/turn2/ci_7157248

T.O.'s lovable charm trumps jerk like Moss

By Ben Maller
Article Last Updated: 10/12/2007 10:10:13 AM PDT

MOSS is the poster boy for pro athletes who jump off the ship at the first sign of trouble. Moss will always be known as the guy who never really wanted to be a Raider.

Moss' performance this season in only a handful of games with the New England Patriots has exposed his stay in Oakland as a complete fraud. In two seasons with the Raiders, Moss had 11 touchdown catches. After five games this season with the Pats, he's already grabbed seven.

New England might have the best coach and possibly the best talent in the NFL, but this doesn't excuse Moss' apparent lack of effort during his time with the Raiders.

I've joked on my radio show about the "Raider Nation" filing a class-action lawsuit against Moss for stealing money from Al Davis and the fans who purchased tickets during his two-year stay with the Silver and Black. There is no excuse for his lack of effort in the Bay Area.

I've always believed that great talent will rise up, even on a team as bad as the

Raiders have been the last few years.

Terrell Owens' act hasn't gotten old to me. T.O. is one of the great divas in the NFL, and no question, he's an acquired taste. Unlike Moss, Owens is a guy who always makes his team better. Donovan McNabb and the Eagles haven't been the same since Terrell left Philly.

I've heard from people who cover the Cowboys who say that Owens is on a mission to win a Super Bowl to cement his legacy as a Hall of Famer.

Moss comes across as a jerk, while T.O. has a lovable showman's charm to him.

One of my "Twilight Zone"-like nightmares as a radio host and fan of the NFL is to wake up one day and live in a world where all of our sports stars are like Marvin Harrison of the Colts. They would have to shut down sports-talk stations from coast to coast; columnists would have little to write about.

As good a talent as Harrison is, he's as exciting as a stale package of rice cakes. Sure, the Colts will retire his number some day, and he's a lock for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but give me T.O. or even Moss over guys like Harrison.

They make sports entertaining!

Ben Maller is host of the "Third Shift" on Fox Sports Radio, heard from 11 p.m.-3 a.m. in the Bay Area on KNBR-1050. Maller also compiles a popular daily rumor column on FoxSports.com.

Hey guys..first post here, lemme start by saying I'm, first and foremost, a Vikings fan but still follow Moss when I can. Anyway, as a Vikings fan, I saw shades of Moss' negative behaviour when the team was excessively losing, although it was really minimal and was waaay overblown in Minnesota, mainly because of one stupid quote that was misinterpretecd. Anyway, thats beside the point...he definetely sulked last year in Oakland and let it effect his performance. While they were abosolutely horrendous, he should've sucked it up and given his best effort on every down. If there has been one legitimate complaint about Moss, its been that he doesnt respond well to excessive losing, it infuriates him to the point that he becomes detriminental.

Now with that being said, this is some the stupidest, most irresponsible form of sports journalism(if that's what you want to call it) you'll see. I understand that the writer is probably a Raiders fan and doesnt like seeing Moss suddenly returning to form, which is perfectly understandable. BUT that doesn't mean you should mindlessly personally attack a player you dont know, especially when considering InsideBayArea.com isnt some guy's blog, and is actually a site that gets A LOT of hits and is a huge media outlet and news source for the larger bay area community.

But unlike other baseless Moss bashing articles, what makes this article stand out to me, and why I'm posting it here for you guys to see, is because of how Terrell Owens of all people is painted as this fun loving misunderstood WR, and its all being done at the expense of one Randy Moss, who is the true jerk. Now, who is actually more of a "jerk" the guy who took plays off last year due to frustration playing for a terrible or the guy who has publicly thrown teammates under the bus in press conferences, the guy who "innocently" tried to hint that his QB was a closet homosexual, the guy who has routinely throwin crazy fits on the sidelines chasing down and yelling at his offensive coordinators, yelling at his QBs for all cameras to watch (something Moss has never really done). Does that seem lke extremely "fun loving." If anyone would be equipped to tell which one of these 2 guys are jerks, it would be their teammates..and thats where the differnece is most visible. Moss has been liked by all his teammates everywhere he's been, he's never had run-ins, he was defended by Viking players after he was traded when some journalists tried to paint the Moss era in a negative light. TO on the other hand has basically had run-ins with coaches, offensive coordinators, quarterbacks, and teammates at every stop. He continously berated Donovan Mcnabb publicly even though McNabb, probably the least confrontational QB in the game, didnt respond and was trying to take the high road. he continued doing it when there was no reason to instigate it, and when McNabb welcomes him with open arms his first year in Philly. I guess that's what we call "fun loving" these days.

What makes all this even more ******ed is he calls Moss' a jerk right after he jetted a bunch of kids to a game, which is the type of stuff he's been doing for years but has never tried to get recognition for it. Now what tells you more about a person's character...that or his play on the field?? Most people dont even know the amounht of goodwill Moss' built in Minnesota. He would routinely make personal visits to kids hospitals, unannounced. These visits were only known because the hospital staff would later leak it, and people who worked at these hospitals would tell stories about how he would see a kid in a hospital bed, would talk to the kid and have fun with him, then as soon as he left the room he would start choking up,. But he's never tried to defend himself, because he has never been about that, while TO has been the opposite...the guy who has to hold a press conference to tell the world why he's so great, to tell why it wasnt "his fault."

Anyway, dont wanna keep on rambling but Randy Moss the most misunderstood athlete of his generation,

Thanks for posting and welcome. So far Randy can do no wrong and there is no reason to think he will. Players come to this team and drink a lot of Kool-Ade. It looks like Moss was pretty thirsty.

Being a Vikes fan when Moss and C-Pep were hot must've been some fine times. Hang out with us and relive some of them again.

Good luck to the Vikings. (the only team that has a mascot with a real face)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes