PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spikes and Mayo a fiting tandem by Mike Giardi (with video) for Comcast SportsNet New England:

When asked prior to the 2010 NFL Draft which player he wanted most, Patriots defensive lineman Vince Wilfork gave Mike Giardi one name: Brandon Spikes.

The Florida linebacker landed in New England with the 62nd overall selection, joining college teammate Jermaine Cunningham, picked by the Patriots earlier in the second round.

Through a few weeks of training camp practices and just one preseason game, Wilfork has starting singing his praises.

"He's every bit the person I thought he was. Looking at the guy [who] played in college, he brings that same mentality on this defense -- hard-nosed, tough player, loves football," said Wilfork after a joint practice session with the Atlanta Falcons in Flowery Branch, Georgia. "That's exactly what he [brought], exactly what we need on this football team."

It is quite the compliment for an established veteran to describe a rookie in such a way, a glowing review of his passion on the field. That passion, Spikes said, is what he can control.

"I know deep down that I'm a football player and I really love this game. I play with a lot of passion and a lot of energy. That's all I can handle -- I can handle what goes on on the field," said Spikes.

Last edited:
Inside jobs up for grabs by Bert Breer for the Boston Globe:

All we really know at this point is that Jerod Mayo will be starting at one of the two inside linebacker spots, likely on the weak-side. It's a good bet that Guyton and Spikes will have serious roles in the defense, and how Spikes is evaluated at the end of the preseason will likely determine that.

Spikes projects to be a solid run-down player right out of the box as a rookie. The real question is whether he can cover well enough to a) handle tight ends and backs in the play-action passing game or b) stay on the field on passing downs.

It seems likely that Spikes would be the early-down and short yardage SILB, with Guyton coming in to play in nickel and dime looks. But if Spikes shows he can cover, which we haven't really seen yet (his instincts and burst make up for lack of speed in a lot of spots), then it would open the door for more flexibility and rotating, and could even work to preserve Mayo a bit.

And beyond just those guys, Tyrone McKenzie will be under a different kind of spotlight against Atlanta, since he seems to be fighting for his job with Dane Fletcher and special teams-type Eric Alexander. You have to wonder if McKenzie will have to shoehorn his way into contributing more in the kicking game to make it.

Inside look at Patriots rookie LB Brandon Spikes: "He's got a heavy head" by Ian Rapoport for the Boston Herald:

To get an idea for why Spikes is so effective in the middle of a defense, I caught up with old buddy Mike Johnson this week. The Falcons rookie guard was a University of Alabama All-American who faced Spikes in two consecutive SEC title games (left). Johnson also saw plenty of Spikes during the joint practices.

As soon as I mentioned Spikes’ name, Johnson started talking…

He’s a great athlete, obviously,” Johnson told me on Tuesday. “There’s a reason they got him up there and he’s obviously making an impact right away. He stands out on film. He was the same way at Florida. I mean, he’s always going to be an impact guy in a system like that. Just a great athlete, man. He’s got a heavy head, and he knows how to use it and plays with a lot of ferocity.

Thanks to Johnson, the description of having a “heavy head” just jumped up in my most awesome football compliments list. Dude can turn a phrase, that’s true. Anyway, back to Spikes…

Can you tell why Bill Belichick loves the way he reads a play?

Oh yeah,” Johnson continued. “It’s difficult to double team against a defense like that. That’s what they read, that’s what their keys are. They look for four hands on a down guy and explode into the cover guy and Spikes does a great job of that. He did the same thing when he was in college. I think that’s a big reason why they took him and nothing’s changed. He does a great job of reading the backfield and seeing where the linemen are going.”

Last edited:
Mike Reiss of espnBoston is still thinking Tyrone McKenzie may not make the roster.

New England Patriots Mailbag: Reading the signs on the preseason - ESPN Boston

Q. Hello Mike, I had a question that relates to Tyrone McKenzie and his playing time so far. The guys who have received the playing time over him (Dane Fletcher and Eric Alexander) are guys who went into camp as definite bubble guys. Further, the first two games of the pre-season are often seen as proving grounds for those bubble-guys. I know you see it as a bad sign for McKenzie making the cut but couldn't you also see the playing time that has been given out so far as a proving ground for guys who are fighting for a spot on the roster? I just can't see NE cutting him after 1 year when he seems like the type of guy BB would love to "coach up". I suppose the playing time given in Game 3 (when the bulk of the time is awarded to those that end up on the roster) will be a good indicator. -- Randy (Boston)

A. Randy, I think a lot of people will be rooting for McKenzie based on his background and how hard he's fought to get to this point. How can you not? However, I do see some troubling signs for him. I haven't seen him stand out much in camp and, to my layman's eyes, some of the struggles seem to be in the read-and-react area. I also haven't noticed him on first-string special-teams units. Then, when it comes to playing time, it was curious to me that he wasn't leading the defensive huddle against the Falcons. My first thought was "Does the coaching staff not have full confidence in his knowledge of the defense?" Instead, Eric Alexander was leading the huddle, and it's hard for me to believe the coaching staff doesn't have the book on what Alexander can and can't do after seven years. Some might also say he's a pure strong-side linebacker and Dane Fletcher and Eric Alexander are weak-side options. My counter would be that Bill Belichick is cross-training all the inside linebackers and they have to play both positions. Add it all up and I see a player on the roster bubble. I know some look at it and say "You can't cut a third-round pick." But the Patriots did it with Kevin O'Connell in his second year, and one could also make the point that McKenzie is just as much a fourth-rounder (97th overall) as he is a third. In the end, I'm not saying he will be cut; I'd just say don't be surprised if that's the way it unfolds based on the way this training camp has unfolded.

Edit: a whole lot more discussion of Tyrone McKenzie, and Reiss' opinion of McKenzie can be found in this thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...53-mike-reiss-off-mark-mckenzie-analysis.html

Last edited:
Reiss has also not been impressed with Jerod Mayo's performance so far:

New England Patriots Mailbag: Reading the signs on the preseason - ESPN Boston

Q. Mike, after watching the preseason game against the Falcons, especially the first drive, I'm asking again, "What is up with Jerod Mayo?" His rookie year he was all over the field. Since his return from injury, he seems to get pushed around with ease. Still not 100 percent. A cause for concern? -- KB

A. That stood out to me as well, KB. Mayo did not look great in his pass drops and I think it's something to watch going forward. That would be a big concern for the defense if Mayo does not regain his 2008 form, as they're counting on it.

Patriots LB Gary Guyton begins the battle for his own starting spot by Ian Rapoport for the Boston Herald:

The third-year linebacker from Georgia Tech, who just received a new contract, started the entire 2009 season alongside Jerod Mayo. And when Mayo missed a few games, Guyton wore the green dot of the play-caller.

Yet he went down two weeks ago with what I thought was a knee injury that was apparently a hamstring injury, and all everyone talked about in his absence was Brandon Spikes. Cool, but that dude plays Guyton’s position.

How does Guyton handle it?

“Mentally, I just come out here and prepare for every game and every day of practice,” Guyton said yesterday in his first day back. “You never know what may happen, what’s my role going to be. So whatever my role is going to be for the coaches, that’s what I’m going to play.”

That was Guyton’s public stance. That whatever comes from the situation, he’s ready for it. That he’s embracing it. From the team’s perspective, that’s what you want to hear. But I can’t imagine it’s as easy as he’s making it sound.

“Well, just come out here and working,” Guyton continued. “Whatever role it has to be, whatever role I have to do is what I’m prepared to take on. Every day is a competitive day and I look forward to it.”

My own opinion is that the team would benefit from both players settling into separate roles. Spikes the run-stuffer would be a first- and second-down guy, while the speedy Guyton would be used for pass coverage. But time will tell how it shakes out.

Erik Scalavino of Patriots Football Weekly answers a question about Tyrone McKenzie:

Q. My question is about Tyrone McKenzie and his roster status. Against the Falcons, Eric Alexander was the first inside linebacker to come off the bench. Against the Saints, Dane Fletcher saw game action before McKenzie did. His knee doesn't seem to be hindering him, but it is bothersome to see a career special teamer along with an undrafted free agent making a position switch both see the field before a former third-round pick. Am I right in feeling worried that McKenzie doesn't make this team?

A. I wouldn’t put too much stock in who comes off the bench and when during the first two preseason games. Those are typically nothing more than glorified extensions of training camp, when coaches like to, and have the opportunity to, experiment with personnel groupings and give players who normally don’t get reps with the “ones” or “twos” the chance to do so in a game-type setting.

Case in point, BenJarvus Green-Ellis got the start at running back versus the Saints, while Laurence Maroney saw limited action. Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris didn’t play. Next week against Atlanta, Taylor started, Morris saw significant time, Maroney virtually none. Green-Ellis started the second half. Something similar could be happening at inside linebacker.

I was charting the rotation at defensive line during the Falcons game, so I didn’t notice for whom Alexander subsitituted. If it was for Spikes, that would makes sense, because Mayo makes the defensive calls when he’s in the game. During camp, we noticed that McKenzie often subbed for Mayo because he would be the one making the calls with the second or third defense. Perhaps something similar happened in the Atlanta game.

That said, I wouldn’t characterize McKenzie as a “lock” to make the roster, but I would certainly be surprised if he didn’t make it.

Chris Price of WEEI says Positional Battles Are Getting Clearer For Patriots:

Inside linebacker, specifically the spot next to Jerod Mayo in the Patriots’ 3-4: Gary Guyton, who started all 16 games next to Mayo last year — and even wore the green dot on his helmet when Mayo was sidelined with a knee injury early in the 2009 season — entered camp as the de facto incumbent. He was expected to face competition from rookie Brandon Spikes and Tyrone McKenzie, the latter of whom was out all last year because of a knee injury.

But after Guyton went down with a knee problem a couple of weeks ago, Spikes has seized the opportunity, drawing the start in the first two preseason games and getting most of the reps with the starting defense in practice. After spending some time with the starters early in camp, McKenzie now appears to be spending most of his time with the backups, and is clearly No. 3 on the depth chart at this point. (Over the first two preseason games, McKenzie’s playing time has been limited to the second half.) Guyton has since returned, but Spikes has done enough to distinguish himself that it remains a tossup entering the all-important third preseason game.

Winner: To this point, it’s been Spikes.

Bruce Allen writes in depth about Tyrone McKenzie, and responds to speculation he may not make the team.

On Mankins, McKenzie

When making their assessments, reporters are placing a lot of emphasis on the special teams ability of players like Alexander and the versatility of a player like Thomas Williams, who has lined up at fullback a few times in camp.

I’m not fully on board with those assessments. In the Bill Belichick era, finding young players who can play inside linebacker has been a constant challenge. In the first part of the decade, it wasn’t so much an issue with Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson and Roman Phifer here. We knew in the back of our heads that those players were getting along in years and that replacements would be needed, but none could be found until Jerod Mayo was drafted in 2008. The media spouted the thought for several years that “Bill Belichick doesn’t drafted linebackers early” – until of course, he did. Some free agents were tried out (Monty Beisel, anyone?) and failed.

tyrone-mckenzie.jpg

Clearly, finding talent at inside linebacker is a challenge. McKenzie appears to have talent. He also seems like a pretty smart player. I can’t swear to it, but I believe he’s been seen wearing the green dot on his helmet, indicating that he is the one receiving the defensive calls when he is in the game. I really, really don’t think that the Patriots are going to discard a player with potential at such a key position on their defense simply because some other guys can play special teams or line up at fullback.

As for why he’s coming into the games so late, I think it is a combination of things – he is still coming back from a severe knee injury, he’s being eased back into game action after not having played a real game in nearly two years, the team clearly wants to give Brandon Spikes as much playing time as feasible in the preseason to get him ramped up to be the starter on opening day, and the green dot – I think they want to have him learn the play calls, but putting him in at the end of the game perhaps makes it a bit easier to get some practice in with doing it.

I still think the Patriots will find a way to keep McKenzie on the team.

From Richard Hill of Pats Pulpit:

Patriots Roster Prediction #24: LB Gary Guyton - Pats Pulpit

Past Role: Guyton stepped up big the past two seasons after being undrafted out of college. He was a great sub backer as a rookie and was pretty good as a sophomore starter next to Jerod Mayo. Although he possesses prototypical Patriots OLB size and speed, he doesn't own the strength to shed blockers and reach the backfield. Sadly, Guyton was injured this pre-season and rookie Brandon Spikes has stepped up and performed in his place.

Predicted Role: Guyton should go back to being the sub linebacker and should do much better. Spikes is a better player than Guyton and should do well as a starter. Guyton will come on to give Spikes a rest against faster teams, but his primary role will be to give the starters a breather.

Summary: Guyton will lose his starting role to Brandon Spikes, but should have a solid year as a back-up. He doesn't possess the strength or aggression to be a strong player against the run, which definitely hurts his case to be a starter.

Mr. Hill gives Guyton most of the credit he deserves, though he undersells Gary's progress at playing 3-4 ILB and how much better he was doing towards the end of the season. I hope to see the progress continue tonight, and I won't be surprised if NE has Guyton starting alongside Mayo against Cincinnati.

It's rather nice to see Spikes progressing so quickly in this defense, there's hope for the ILB corps to reach the same level of consistency and play-making which characterized Tedy, TJ, and Roman in their day. I see promise from McKenzie, and Fletcher, too - with luck the linebacker poor days are behind the team for the next decade.

New England Patriots' defensive pecking order is coming into focus - ESPN Boston

3. Brandon Spikes is getting starter-type respect. In what could be a sign of the coaching staff's plans to have Spikes in the starting lineup, the rookie inside linebacker has been utilized much like a starter through two preseason games, playing primarily in the first half (66 snaps, 58 in the first half). The 2010 second-round draft choice stepped in when Gary Guyton injured his knee on the fourth day of camp, and it might be hard for Guyton to wrestle the job back from him.

4. Tyrone McKenzie's standing, on the other hand, is tough to read. When training camp began, one line of thinking was that McKenzie would be part of a three-player competition with Spikes and Guyton for a starting spot at inside linebacker. But in the first two preseason games, the 2009 third-round draft choice watched as rookie free agent Dane Fletcher and seven-year veteran Eric Alexander came onto the field before him. Some might say that's because Fletcher and Alexander are playing more on the weakside, but as Bill Belichick pointed out Aug. 15, the inside linebackers are cross-trained at both positions. Also, Alexander led the huddle when paired when McKenzie, which seemed curious.

Rookie Roundup: Brandon Spikes | NE Patriots Draft

Spikes had a solid college career at Florida where he amassed 307 tackles, 6.5 sacks, six interceptions and four TD’s in his three seasons. In the two preseason games for the Patriots, Brandon Spikes has 6 tackles in limited time and looks poised to battle veteran linebacker Gary Guyton at the inside linebacker position next to Jerod Mayo.

Spikes is a tackling machine that diagnoses plays very quickly and has very good speed to the ball, although he has been beaten on a few outside runs. Coverage will be the crucial learning point, as both Mayo and Spikes have given up multiple catches underneath.

Is New England Stepping Forward Or Backward by Mike Lombardi for NFL.com:

One of the many things that I have been impressed with so far this preseason is the overall speed of the Patriots defense. On Thursday night against the Rams, they were not as impressive, allowing the Rams to move the ball and control the clock.

Overall, however, the Patriots have done a complete makeover to their defense, increasing the athleticism and closing speed, thus making every 4-yard gain by the opponent a challenge. Darius Butler, Patrick Chung, Devin McCourty, along with Brandon Meriweather, give the Pats a young and explosive group of cover men. The Patriots are now fast on every level of their defense and the addition of Brandon Spikes to go along with a healthy Jerod Mayo make the Patriots solid down the middle. The concern for a pass rush is real, but they have always been very good at scheming that pass rush, and if the offense can gain the lead, the Patriots will be able to frustrate opponents.

With this talent on defense, there will no longer be any 80-yard runs to open games -- this I can assure you.

Mike Reiss' mailbag, August 31

Q: With Tyrone McKenzie not playing at all on top special teams units this week, his roster spot could be in jeopardy. Could he be eligible for the practice squad if he doesn't make the team?

A: McKenzie is eligible for the practice squad. I see him on the roster bubble at this time.

Regardless of his injury 16 months ago and what little we have seen from him this month, I doubt McKenzie would make it to the practice squad. Some NFL team would surely sign a player who was good enough to be drafted in the third round just a year ago to their roster.

Impressions of Tyrone McKenzie. Belichick was asked his impressions of second-year inside linebacker Tyrone McKenzie and said he thinks he's had a good camp. "Tyrone has done a good job in his assignments, his reactions. Kind of being away from football, I think that's something that a guy like that -- who hasn't played in the league -- has to re-gain or gain in the first place. He's done that,"

Practice count hits 37 for Patriots - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I've been on the "McKenzie makes the team" side of things, and this comment from BB makes me more confident in my expectation.

Practice count hits 37 for Patriots - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I've been on the "McKenzie makes the team" side of things, and this comment from BB makes me more confident in my expectation.

I agree, I never considered McKenzie to be in danger of being cut. I suppose a lot of that was fueled by comments from Mike Reiss, who said he thought he might be gone.

I think some are reading a little bit too much into pre-season playing time. Reminds me of three years ago when many some were speculating Randy Moss would be cut because he didn't play much in his first pre-season with the Pats (fueled by some comments by Florio on PFT as I recall.)

Mike Reiss answers a question on the position:

Chat with Mike Reiss - espn Boston

Q. Doesn't it make sense for Tyrone McKenzie to make the team instead of Woods or another "special teams ace" considering he's in his first year of playing? At least he may have future potential.

A. I thought there was a chance he might be edged out, but I'd keep him on. I agree -- he deserves a bit more time to prove himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back