PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inside Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused because traditionally the TE lines up on the offensive right, the defensive left.
And if the offense can put the TE on either side, then the ILBs would seem to have to be interchangable. What am I missing?
If you put a LB who is good on the TE side on the right side and one who is not on the left, I'm just going to line my TE up on your left every play.
Maybe I'm missing something but your desciption invites me to put 2 of your players out of position.
I'm also confused that you have the TE on the Dright and the rolb, solb, rushing the QB. Arent we more likely to rush the WOLB so that area is less threatened by receivers?

You're missing what is the primary responsibility of the TE........blocking.Most teams line up the TE on the offensive left,next to or set back from the LT.

There's a couple of reasons for this:
1.this is the QB'S back side.....the better rushing OLB is here and the bigger ILB is here.There's a fallacy around that the great LT's,don't need help.
Trust me.....they all need help.
2.running plays.....most teams,like the pats for instance,are "left handed"......that doesn't mean they run left,all the time.....but it means that having the TE in the left....gives a left-handed "look" to the defense.
If your lining up with TE's on both sides,you're giving a "balanced" look to the defense.....causing the "mike" LB,to adjust his defensive alignment to adjust for this balanced look by the offense.

You can line up the TE on the right side all the time....but,why would you?......for a left-handed qb,sure........for a righty,like most nfl quarterbacks?.......no way.....I'm not going to risk even one back side hit on my quarterback.....just to fool the defense with a strong right formation,all the time?Besides,you can always adjust your formation to strong,by putting the TE in motion.

This from the PFW BLOG today:

From Wayne … “Which player is the best positive surprise?”

Sticking with the linebacker theme, I like what I’ve seen from rookie Dane Fletcher, the converted ILB from Montana State. He’s made some plays and shown good athleticism. Of course, I’ve been impressed with Taylor Price and the rookie TEs, but there’s no surprise there. So, I’ll go with Fletcher as my surprise pick thus far.

You're missing what is the primary responsibility of the TE........blocking.Most teams line up the TE on the offensive left,next to or set back from the LT.

There's a couple of reasons for this:
1.this is the QB'S back side.....the better rushing OLB is here and the bigger ILB is here.There's a fallacy around that the great LT's,don't need help.
Trust me.....they all need help.
2.running plays.....most teams,like the pats for instance,are "left handed"......that doesn't mean they run left,all the time.....but it means that having the TE in the left....gives a left-handed "look" to the defense.
If your lining up with TE's on both sides,you're giving a "balanced" look to the defense.....causing the "mike" LB,to adjust his defensive alignment to adjust for this balanced look by the offense.

You can line up the TE on the right side all the time....but,why would you?......for a left-handed qb,sure........for a righty,like most nfl quarterbacks?.......no way.....I'm not going to risk even one back side hit on my quarterback.....just to fool the defense with a strong right formation,all the time?Besides,you can always adjust your formation to strong,by putting the TE in motion.

Not sure I agree, I think the TE is more often on the right side. But there is no way we can really resolve that that I am aware of so we can agree to disagree.
In any event, whether its the right or left that is predominantly strong, I think we can agree its closer to 50/50 than 90/10. Which brings us back to the original point, don't all ILBs on our team need to be able to play strong or weak almost interchangably?

Bill Belichick talked extensively about the ILB position earlier this week.

Bill Belichick Press Conference - 8/4/2010

Q: I'm curious on your thoughts at the competition this far at inside linebacker, particularly the new and younger players.

BB: I think all of them have done well. I think Jerod [Mayo] is doing well. Gary [Guyton] got off to a good start, definitely ahead of last year. Eric, also. Tyrone [McKenzie], it's really his first chance and Brandon [Spikes], Thomas Williams, The new guys have been with us a little bit - Dane [Fletcher] - but the new guys have come in and I think they've all done well. A big part of that evaluation will be in the kicking game, as well as on defense. Some of those linebackers are a little more first and second down, some of them are a little more third down. Some of them are probably a little more of the kicking game. Some might have a combination of all three. So I think players have different values and probably different strengths [in] what they can bring to the team. But [they're] all competitive in their respective areas. And then just how it all fits together and how, of course, they perform when we get into the preseason games and continue to evaluate here through these practices. But I think it's a pretty solid unit, good depth and they bring a number of different skills to the position.

Last edited:

Q: You mentioned Dane Fletcher. He's made the move from where he played in college from linebacker to defensive end. Was it a quick transition for him?

BB: Surprisingly quick, yes. It's not like he's running with the first team, so he doesn't get a lot of snaps, but he's a very quick learner and he's an instinctive player. He's got a long way to go, but he's made a lot of improvement and he's done well with his opportunities in the spring and now in training camp.

And on another ILB:

Q: How has Tyrone McKenzie done in camp so far and what kind of unique challenges might he face?

BB: Tyrone was in a similar situation to Brandon Tate. Tyrone missed the whole year. Brandon missed all of training camp and the early part of the season, then was here for a few weeks, then wasn't able to finish the season. Both guys were really starting from just a year of being around here and not really a whole lot of on-the-field time. But I think that both of them have made a good transition and they really are more like veteran players than they are like rookies. Tyrone is a smart kid. He really understands the defense. He's good with the calls and the communication and adjustments and really understands what we're doing. He just needs the practice repetitions of actually doing it, taking on blockers, reading keys. Linebacker is a position that's so much dependent on a player's instincts and his ability to figure out where the ball is going, and runs, and play-action passes, and making those kinds of decisions and quick recognition as soon as the play starts. There's not a way you can prepare for that in the weight room or running laps around the track; you have to be out there with 21 other guys. These practices have been good for him, both in the spring here and in training camp. I think he is moving well. He's active and I'd say, again, he's more like a veteran player than a rookie, but he still has a lot of on-the-field fundamental work to do. Again, [it's] a similar conversation with Brandon Tate.

Same press conference, BB is asked about Gary Guyton.

Q: Gary Guyton is a guy who has played well for you on the inside and really developed over the last couple years. If you needed to, is he a guy you could move to the outside or do you see him as strictly an inside guy?

BB: Gary is a pretty versatile player. I think he can do a lot of different things. He's smart. He's big. He's athletic. He runs very well. He has had a variety of roles for us on regular defense and our sub defenses. I wouldn't rule it out. But he's done well inside, as you mentioned. He's made a lot of progress over the last two years. I think this camp he started at a higher level than he finished last year. [He had] a good offseason, again, [he has] just more confidence, a better understanding of the defense and offensive play recognition, those kinds of things. I think he's in pretty good shape where he is, but could he play out there? I think he would be competitive out there, yes.

A little bit more on Guyton, this in regards to his speed:

Q: Obviously, you're not lining up your linebackers and having them run a 40-yard dash, but would it be fair to call Gary Guyton the fastest linebacker that is on your roster?

BB: There are probably other linebackers that would probably not be willing to just concede that, so I don't know. We've never put them out there in a race. He runs well. I think there are other guys at the linebacker position that also run well. They probably feel like maybe they are the fastest. I don't know. Speed can be measured in a lot of different ways and for linebackers, there are not a lot of 40-yard dashes like there are for corners and receivers. A lot of it is really more probably 20 yards and a lot of it is five yards. And a lot of it is sideways, not forward. But no doubt about it, Gary runs well. He's certainly one of the fastest linebackers on our team. I think we have other guys that are in that same range. If he's faster then they're close; if they're faster than him, he's close.
http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=43832&pcid=155&cp

And some questions and answers about Brandon Spikes:

Q.Does Brandon Spike's playing style remind you of anyone you have coached or seen over the years?

BB: I'm not really sure exactly what his style is. Our defense is a lot different than what they ran at Florida. Obviously, he's a big, physical player, but I'd like to watch him in our defense a little bit. I think he's got some unique skills. For a tall player, he's got probably more quickness than most guys, probably a little more leverage than a lot of other tall players. He does a lot of things well. It's kind of not by the book but [it's] effective. So I don't know. It will be interesting to see how he... I was just talking to him down there this morning about a couple things that he was doing that are not exactly the way that everybody does them, but he does them effectively and I don't think he needs to change them, but it's just a little bit different. And so how he adapts to certain situations might not be quite the same as, say, Jerod or Gary or somebody else does it, but I think he does it and has done it effectively. It will be interesting to see how some of those things come together. Some may change and become a little more conventional. Some may be a little less conventional, but hopefully equally effective. He's an interesting player to coach

Q: Are you talking about fundamentally or mentally?

BB: Both. Both. He sees some things that I'm not sure everybody sees. He's kind of got a little bit of his own... He's an instinctive player and he sees things. I don't know if they are exactly the textbook way you would read the plays, but he reads them. It's interesting to kind of work him into our system, really being a 4-3 middle linebacker in the front and system that they played [that was] just different than what we do. And now he's playing more on the guard, being uncovered with the guard as opposed to being covered playing behind a one technique or a defensive guy in front of him. It's just a little bit different, but he does things well. It's a transition, but a good.

Q: When you saw Brandon Spikes in college, you talked about how he does some things unconventionally.

BB: I didn't say that about his college play. I'm just saying in the transition in coming to us...when I watch him play, I mean, he's a good football player. Now that he's in our defense, some things he does are a little bit different than the way we would teach it, but he still does them well. That's what I was trying to say. Maybe I didn't say that.

Q: And you won't change it, or you're not inclined to change it?

BB: We'll see how it goes. We'll see how it goes. We've already changed some things. That's part of bringing a new player in and working with him, just like Gerard Warren or Brandon Spikes or pick a player. Guys that have been successful, how much do you want to change it when they've been that successful? But at the same time, maybe there is a better way to do it or maybe in our system, the way they do it just won't mesh. Or maybe it will; it just depends. I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. Five things could be one category and five things could be in another category. It's just part of the whole process and again, those are things you don't see in the spring when you are just going through assignments and trying to get the communication, get everybody to know what to do and be in the right spot and those kinds of things. When you're actually out there in pads and taking people on and reading things at more of a full-speed tempo, you see it a little bit differently.

Oh brother, BB is such a homer. ;)

Great stuff jmt57, Thanks for posting it.
Thanks, have been way too busy & have some catching up to do, haven't been on here since Monday ... missed some of the recent Pats news, hope I'm not too much 'yesterday's papers' or redundant with the columns and links.'

Thanks, have been way too busy & have some catching up to do, haven't been on here since Monday ... missed some of the recent Pats news, hope I'm not too much 'yesterday's papers' or redundant with the columns and links.'
Your Herculian effort to keep us informed was missed.

Your Herculian effort to keep us informed was missed.
Ehh, the biggest effort made was that of twelve ounce curls, that of the liquid variety, hardly Herculian ...

Ehh, the biggest effort made was that of twelve ounce curls, that of the liquid variety, hardly Herculian ...
In all seriousness though, these threads with all the reporting going on in a single thread for each position are going to be awesome to go back to toward the end of camp. Terrific idea you had. If it takes a few Sam Adams to get it done, cool.

Mike Reiss shares his thoughts on Brandon Spikes:

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Although inside linebacker Brandon Spikes has yet to play a preseason game, and there are sure to be some growing pains, I wouldn’t be surprised if he remains in the starting lineup at inside linebacker even when Gary Guyton returns from injury. Young players are going to be thrust into some key roles this year in New England and that’s what has me most intrigued about reporting on the team.

Just want to chime in to say this is a great thread, between jmt57's terrific reporting and AJ & I44's discussion of the ILB positions.

Several LB's vying for inside track by Erik Scalavino for patriots.com

“I think all of them have done well,” Belichick continued. “A big part of that evaluation will be in the kicking game, as well as on defense. Some of those linebackers are a little more first- and second-down [players], some of them are a little more third-down. Some of them are probably a little more of the kicking game. Some might have a combination of all three.

So I think players have different values and probably different strengths [in] what they can bring to the team. But [they’re] all competitive in their respective areas. And then just how it all fits together and how, of course, they perform when we get into the preseason games and continue to evaluate here through these practices. But I think it’s a pretty solid unit, good depth and they bring a number of different skills to the position.”
spikes.jpg

The player who seems to have emerged first is Spikes, the rookie from the University of Florida. The new Number 55 has been spending more and more time next to Mayo when the defense lines up as a unit. The skills he seems to bring to the Patriots defense are his vision and football intelligence. According to Belichick, Spikes often diagnoses a play completely differently than defenders are taught to do in New England’s system. Yet, he still makes the play more often than not.

Furthermore, Spikes is switching from a 4-3 middle linebacker position, in which he played at Florida, to the 3-4, the main difference being that in a 4-3, the inside backer typically has a defensive lineman in front of him for support. In the 3-4, Spikes lines up with no one between him and the guard. Which means his responsibilities require a different approach.

“He sees some things that I’m not sure everybody sees,” Belichick remarked. “He's an instinctive player and I don’t know if they are exactly the textbook way you would read the plays, but he reads them. It’s interesting to kind of work him into our system. It’s just a little bit different, but he does things well. It’s a transition, but a good one.”

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive From the Hart: Practice 19 observations

While the coverage drill was going on in front of the media tent, the linebackers and tight ends were going at it on the far end. Aaron Hernandez and Thomas Williams took that phrase literally, as the latter tackled the rookie at which time the former Gator threw the ball at the former practice squad linebacker. Then, as he does after seemingly every play, Hernandez took his helmet off. For what it’s worth, and for whatever reason, No. 85 takes his helmet off more often than any player on the field.

Just an overall observation from the last week-plus, but Thomas Williams likes to throw his body around. Not sure if he crosses the line, but he does a lot of hitting and tackling. He’s either making a name for himself with the coaches or making some enemies among his offensive teammates. He certainly plays with a high motor and is physical.

An old (from last November) profile on Williams by WEEI's Christopher Price: It Is What It Is Meet the new guy ? Thomas Williams

Williams played middle, outside and inside linebacker at USC, starting at all three positions while playing for Pete Carroll. He also filled in as a fullback and on special teams as well. In 49 games at Southern California, he started at strong-side linebacker for eight games as a sophomore, at fullback for two contests as a junior and as a middle linebacker for four games as a senior.

The 24-year-old said he would be willing to play anywhere it takes in New England.

“A linebacker is a linebacker — that’s how I look at myself,” he said. “I just want to help any way I can.”

thomaswilliamsou71.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back