Welcome to PatsFans.com

Inquiring minds want to know about Syrian Nuke Facility

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Apr 28, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Members of congress want to know why the IAEA were kept in the dark about Syria's nuclear military facility.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080428/pl_afp/ussyrianuclearpolitics

S should have shared Syria nuclear intel earlier: legislators

Sun Apr 27, 8:55 PM ET

Top US legislators questioned why the US only revealed this week that Syria had built a military-oriented nuclear facility, and asked why Washington had not shared its intelligence with the UN's nuclear watchdog.

"I was surprised that they hadn't given the information to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)," Senator Diane Feinstein, a member of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said on CNN Sunday.

"And I was also surprised by the timing of it, because there have been some reports that Israel and Syria were looking at a settlement, quite possibly, and this could very well disrupt that settlement," she said, referring to a possible Israeli-Syrian political deal.

Feinstein said she did not doubt US intelligence briefers who said that the Syrian facility was nuclear weapons-oriented -- a charge denied by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

But she said the slow US disclosure was wrong.

"I think it should have gone immediately to the IAEA. That's why the IAEA is there. And by not sharing information immediately, what we do is destroy their verification potential as an independent, outside agency."

Peter Hoekstra, a Republican on the House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, said the data on Syria's nuclear facility presented by US intelligence officials was "compelling information."

Both he and Feinstein said they supported Israel's move to destroy the plant in an air attack on September 6, 2007 as it was nearing completion.

But, Hoekstra said, the two committees should have been briefed at least at that time.

"Because there are a lot of other questions that are out there, questions about how close was this to being operational? Who funded this for Syria? How close was the North Korean/Syrian cooperation in this? And where else might North Korea have been involved in proliferation?"

"And that's why ... if we would have gotten this information seven months ago to the full Intelligence Committee, we could have spent the last seven months going through and peeling back the onion and having a lot more information than what we have at this point."

Asked why the administration of US President George W. Bush only shared the intelligence this week, Feinstein said she did not know.

"I think they're sending some kind of a message, which candidly I don't understand, to North Korea, and I think they're also one way or another influencing an agreement with Syria and Israel. And to me, the timing is very suspect."
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

There sending a secret message to North Korea. Brilliant.
  3. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

i don't really care that we didn't tell anyone. we bombed a f"cking nuke facility in syria. if it had turned out to be a aspirin factory or a school then someone has a right to *****. i love the idea of using joint intelligence to sniff out these scumbags and then just letting them have it. why should we tell anyone and give them a chance to be warned. i hope we bombed them during the day so we at least got a bunch of casualties on the ground. at least we can prove it this time.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

This is all 100% BULL$H!T....

Its takes simple logic to figure outy how much BS is pouring out of both the US intel and Syrian nuke flexing.

Where have we seen these computer generated images before? Where have we seen these videos and slides that are drawings and fabrications before?

all we need is for Colin Powell to be narration this video.

http://www.moonofalabama.org/cia-syria-show.html

from an intelligence angle, these people (CIA and the Pentagon) have a credibility problem with the american public. YOu think they could do a lot better than having a 3D simulated structure as proof of a building's nuclear capabilities.

PLUS

being neighbors with Iraq, and close enough to Israel, you'd think they would have the floor at the United Nations over a year ago...pi$$ing and moaning that Syriahas WMDs. We did that for Iraq, and North Korea. Seems a little late to be coming out with computer models of a building Israel destroyed over a year ago while violating Syrian airspace...

Again...

This whole thing stinks.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

7. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We didn't bomb anything. The Israeli Airforce did. And they did it right after Syria bought and installed some new hi-tech Russian anti-aircraft weapons and radar. The US made Israeli planes flew way up into northern Syria and Syria had no idea, until after their nuke plant was blown into last century. And then they flew out. That's why the Syrians haven't said a freaking word or "flexed" muscles lately. They know darn well they have no chance of taking on Israel in a conventional war, hence the reason they keep funding Hezbollah in Jordan in the hopes to spur more anti-Israel violence.

Syria should worry about the impact Islamic Jihad is having on its own culture, and the fact that blowing yourself up to kill some jews as a way to get into Heaven isn't really that good of a way to live your life.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I think you might need to ask yourself how many nuclear weapons Israel has, and why their neigbors and other nations that the united states claims support terror are trying to get them???

Thats just the tip of the iceberg with this whole thing. The real questions still reman for me.

1. Why is it now that all of this 'evidence' is coming out a year AFTER Israel suppoidly flew into the middle of Syria, dropped bombs on a nuclear facility and flew out?

2. Why has Syria been quite for the last year about this?

Its strange.....real strange.

seems to me that both of those happenings and questions would be great fodder for each side's position in drumming up support for its position in the region.
  9. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

11. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

maybe it's time for israel to bomb the sh!t out of Lebanon again. is that the only thing the arabs understand? they keep letting hezbollah and hamas drop rockets on israel and give shelter to those camel humpers, but when israel retaliates and blasts the living sh!t they start to cry. maybe another 6 day war is needed. maybe this time israel should keep all the land they take.
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I have relatives in Lebanon. I'm glad you're in an impotent position on this matter. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
  13. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

i am curious to find out what those relatives in lebanon think about the harboring of terrorists that goes on there. have you ever had a chance to ask them? i wonder what most of the lebanese people think about having hamas or hezbollah in their country. israel has made it clear that they will not tolerate attacks against their country brought by terrorists skulking around in palestine and lebanon. do the lebanese realize that by allowing the terrorists to live among them they are actually putting themselves in harm's way?
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

They're not Lebanese. They work for an engineering company. Not there permanently.

I have asked him about that. His impression is that the Lebanese government is not representative of most of the people. Israel is extremely hated because of past occupations. Hamas cannot be trusted. Most of the regular people of Lebanon are just like us. They want to be able to live in peace, take care of their kids, and be left alone. They're too busy trying to do that to be involved in politics, but if pressed, the majority would side with Hamas and consider Israel a menace and an invader.

That's not gospel, just anectdotal. Not sure what value it has.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I think that most PEOPLE are like that...meaning they want to care for their families, watch their kids do better than they did and be left alone. I'm sure if you poll every human on earth, you'll find that 99% of them say that. War Pigs have the power though.....

Politicians hide themselves away
    They only started the war
    Why should they go out to fight?
    They leave that role to the poor
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

You really can't fukc with the Isreali's. I have my issues with how they deal with Palestine, but I do respect them for not taking poop from nobody. I guess when you've been close to being exterminated like you were some insect infestation, you tend to have a much shorter leesh than most. I just wonder what Israel would do if we weren't constantly keeping them in check. They flew in over Syria, and demolished a nuke facility, and no one knows till a year later. Imagine how that made some some people feel on the recieving end.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

SYRIA: More questions about alleged nuclear site
    Professor William Beeman at the University of Minnesota passed along a note today from "a colleague with a U.S. security clearance" about the mysterious Syrian site targeted in a Sept. 6 Israeli airstrike.

The note raises more questions about the evidence shown last week by U.S. intelligence officials to lawmakers in the House and Senate.

The author of the note pinpoints irregularities about the photographs. Beeman's source alleges that the CIA "enhanced" some of the images. For example he cites this image:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2008/04/syria-more-ques.html
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

MAybe he should go over and visit the site and roll around in the dirt, no radiation poisioning no problem. I sure the Syrains would be happy to let him go there since they weren't doing anything wrong.
  19. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I know anyone can say anything, but did you read the first few comments over there? I'd say that those people have just as much credibility as the anthropology professors "friend".

Feel me?
    ;)
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

one question i'm left with....

at this point, precisely why is Diane Feinstein "surprised" that Congress is being kept in the dark regarding ANYTHING?