Welcome to PatsFans.com

InnoculationGate - or - So Much for That Theory.......

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

"The Lancet" medical journal has retracted a controversial 1998 study that linked the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine to autism and bowel disease, the British publication announced Tuesday on its Web site.

The move to retract the study comes just days after the study’s lead author, Andrew Wakefield, was found guilty by a British panel of acting unethically in his research on autism.

Study That Led to Anti-Vaccination Movement Retracted
  2. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

People are looking for something to blame the condition on and a simple vaccine against diseases that are all but eradicated was a juicy target.

No shock in this news...blame will just move on to another target.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +930 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

We have several members in here who have autistic children. It's the law that your child gets those shots. Has to be a tough day to hear this news. I don't really know what to say other than I still believe the parents on this one ... parents/children affected have a strong opinion on this. Parental intuition is as strong as science IMO. The study could have been better and more thorough but that does not in itself refute what parents have experienced.

Local Mother Speaks out About Autism and the MMR Vaccine

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

"Intuition" of any sort is nowhere near as strong as science - unless, of course, you want to agree that anyone who "thinks" there's such a thing as global warming is entirely correct in their assumptions.

A bad study is a bad study - and fudged results are fudged results - regardless of whether they're about causes for autism or causes for global warming.

I understand that parents have gone through hell and back regarding their autistic children - but if I were one of them I'd be mad as hell that this much time had been wasted on a faux cause instead of valid reseach being done to find a real one. I'd also be mightly upset if I'd been one of those parents who refused to allow my child to be innoculated against MMR or Whooping Cough because I believed the scientists who drew the faulty corralation - and my kid suffered brain damage, hearing loss, or death as a result of contracting a totally preventable disease becaue I refused an innoculation that someone knowingly and falsely told me was dangerous.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 6 / -2

I'd be curious to know if there are any other studies that have determined that there's a link as well, aside from this particular study, that was done over a decade ago. That would go a long way in certifying whether or not any connection is indeed incorrect.

With all the lies, cover ups, non truths, and made up data that is being exposed in the MMGW debate, I'd hope that people will be as quick to denounce that movement, as they will this one.

I will say this, what role does Big Pharma, and/or liability play in all of this? If it were proven that innoculations were the cause of disability A, B, and/or C, wouldn't someone, or something, be responsible for damages? I'm really asking here. I'm not sure if there could ever be any legal price to pay if the connection were true. Just wondering anyway.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

It's hard to sort through but it appears that there have been numerous studies done since then and none of them back up the linkage of the original (and now declared faulty) study.

In 1998, a study was released that suspected a link between autism and the MMR vaccination. The study was a small study of 12 autistic children, and while its' findings weren't conclusive; the results suggested a possible link between the MMR vaccination and autism. Since then, numerous clinical tests have been performed and none of them have shown there to be a link between autism and the MMR vaccination and most importantly between autism and the vaccine preservative thimerosal. The Academy of Pediatrics, the CDC and the Institute of Medicine are all in agreement that the MMR vaccination is not the cause of autism.

Debate: Are the MMR vaccine links to autism unfounded? - Helium

Anti-vaccination Web sites tell horror stories, but a study of 22 of them published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in July found their content is largely unsupported by peer-reviewed scientific literature

Vaccinations May Cause Autism?

Science got a booster shot this week when a special court in Washington confirmed what scientists and pediatricians have been saying for years: Vaccines are not a cause of autism in children.

The verdict, which came in a case seeking compensation from the federal Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, should help reassure parents who haven't been sure whom to trust about their child's health. "It was abundantly clear that petitioners' theories of causation were speculative and unpersuasive," the court wrote.

Washington Court Finds Vaccines Are Not a Cause of Autism in Children - WSJ.com

It is believed that autism is likely a result of both genetic and environmental factors. Scientists have found a number of genes that are present in individuals with autism and have found that families with one autistic child have a one in 20 chance of having another autistic child. Similarly, families of autistic children often show that relatives or even parents display mild disabilities in communication and interaction.

The most prominent environmental factor being considered as a cause of autism is childhood vaccines, typically given to a child at 18 months. Many parents report their child reaching all their developmental milestones at the appropriate time, then suddenly seeing those skills, such as motor abilities and frequent babbling, slowing and even reversing in development. Higher incidence of aggression is also commonly reported after these vaccines, another symptom sometimes associated with autism. The CDC and many other organizations have been considering this potential cause mostly on a case-by-case basis. There is currently no conclusive evidence connecting autism to inoculations.

Ten Things You Should Know About Autism
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Again,there's a pile of information to sift through regarding the connection - but at a quick read-through of several articles all I could find was that there have been several law suits brought forth and none of them have been won because there is no scientific proof of linkage between vaccines and autism.

There is also the matter of the following to consider, however, which may have prevented more lawsuits from having been filed.

Vaccine manufacturers have largely been protected from litigation since enactment of a 1986 law that established a no-fault compensation system, including hearings held in a special federal court.

Article: Debate rages on over whether inoculations are to blame for autism spectrum... | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 10 / -26

This reminds me of the inane argument that some babies that were breastfed turned into Heroin addicts..

Right now no one seems to know the who or why... it is very easy to find a scapegoat... big pharma is easy.
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +930 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I don't think I care to equate parental intuition with how someone thinks about global warming ... bad comparison.

Science has a very long way to go in solving the mysteries of parental intuition. As someone who was a Mr. Mom to my 3rd child i was fascinated to see I had mother instincts buried deep within my brain. How can you disagree with a parent who knows their child changed the day they had that shot? I wouldn't dare even try.

I'd like to think that the shot production was better, that everything was studied properly, and that politics is somehow not part of the equation. But I've read too many stories of medicine and government being in bed with each other and hiding things from the public.

I am nowhere near as trusting as the average person or the average forum member here. Deceit for profit is all too common out there ... especially so when the government i involved - don't trust them - never will. But thanks for your thoughts on the topic. Mercury is a horribly toxic substance as many parents so unfortunately know.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +577 / 2 / -9

There is big money in disease, sickness, death, imagine if cures for cancer, aids, heart attacks etc were found next week, imagine telling the Dana Farber Institute For Cancer "we found the cure, your all fired"

They blew it with Polio, when the Salk Vaccine was discovered they put it on the market the next day, thehn the polio clinics fired everybody and closed.

I believe The Cure For Cancer was discovered years ago and they hid it $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GOD DAMN GOVERNMENT THE MAFIA CAN BE TRUSTED MORE
  11. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:ditto:
    Always follow the money.
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

You might have a hard time following the money in this case. Virtually every state, city, county or town has a free vaccine clinic for children where any parent, whether insured or not, can take their child to receive free immunizations.
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I agree about following the money, but I also feel that most everyone, big pharma too, wants to make an honest buck and will make every effort to do so before going the other way. There's 2 million babies in need of those vaccinations every year. That's a cash cow that nobody would mess around with. My speculation is that the pharmaceutical companies would be ruthless in tracking down even minor impurities in their product to keep that money rolling in, let alone an impurity that caused brain damage in the patient. Its always easier to have a safe product than it is to have an unsafe one and go to all sorts of lengths to hide it.
  14. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The clinics aren't anything close to the money we're talking about. :cool:
  15. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

it's easier but not always the way it is done when the bean counters have their way such as Toyota who was slow to respond to complaints.

The issue is the rate of autism is increasing dramatically to 1 in 100. Is it better diagnoses or is something, not necessarily the vaccines causing it?

Higher Rate of Autism in Children: Is New Number Real? - TIME