Injury report: Vereen questionable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack Herron

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Bx7E2FxIYAImGHi.png:large

Mark Daniels ‏@MarkDanielsPJ 4m
Collins, Dennard, Vereen, Wendell, Don Jones and Buchanan are all listed as questionable. Edelman, Connolly, Gronk and Siliga are probable

Interesting on Vereen as he wasn't used much last game. I wonder if he's got a more serious injury, BB usually doesn't like to leak anything

Vereen is the one player that really doesn't have a replacement that is even comparable (kinda like the Gronk). The rest of the RBs are not the pass catcher he is out of the backfield. It would be a big loss if he can't go. It would mean a heavier dose of Brandon "why am I on this team" Bolden.

This could be an opportunity for White's first action. If Vereen doesn't go, it will be interesting to see if they dress White as he is supposed to have receiving skills.

Last edited:
Vereen is the one player that really doesn't have a replacement that is even comparable (kinda like the Gronk). The rest of the RBs are not the pass catcher he is out of the backfield. It would be a big loss if he can't go. It would mean a heavier dose of Brandon "why am I on this team" Bolden.

That was the reason we drafted James White. Whether White can fill those shoes is another matter entirely.

This would be a perfect time to get White some playing time, and see what he can do. I know he didn't show much in the preseason, but give it a shot he could surprise. Its not like Bolden has shown much.

White will only get playing time if he has demonstrated the ability to know and execute his assignment in pass protection. As a casual fan, I don't have the first clue about judging that. I'm guessing, based on this fairy regular snaps, that Bolden is at least competent at pass protection.

On the other hand, I'd like them to run so much on Sunday that they wear out all four backs.... :)

White will only get playing time if he has demonstrated the ability to know and execute his assignment in pass protection. As a casual fan, I don't have the first clue about judging that. I'm guessing, based on this fairy regular snaps, that Bolden is at least competent at pass protection.

On the other hand, I'd like them to run so much on Sunday that they wear out all four backs.... :)

Exactly. It's going to be all about whether or not he's proven that he can pick up his blitz assignments effectively enough or not.

As you mentioned, I have no idea as to the answer of this question. I do know that he looked lost many times during the preseason, but he'll have to get some opportunities at some point, and that point will likely occur if/when we have injuries at the position.

It would be a big loss if he can't go. It would mean a heavier dose of Brandon "why am I on this team" Bolden.

With Bolden being a heavy contributor on special teams, showing a consistent 4.9 YPC throughout the past two years, making good progress in the blitz pickup, AND receiving balls out of the backfield last year (20 catches compared to 2 the previous year), it's not difficult to understand why Bolden is still on the team.

Much like you, I don't think he's anything special and I'd agree that his days are likely numbered if anyone better comes along, but in the meantime his understanding of the scheme and ability to do the things that are asked of him (and cheapness) make it more understandable as to why Belichick chooses to keep him around.

Mostly it's likely due to a lack of better talent, as Bolden probably wouldn't be here if Finch, Gray, or Houston had actually shown anything.

Much like you, I don't think he's anything special and I'd agree that his days are likely numbered if anyone better comes along, but in the meantime his understanding of the scheme and ability to do the things that are asked of him (and cheapness) make it more understandable as to why Belichick chooses to keep him around.

Agreed.

And let's be honest. In the salary cap football league, when is your third or fourth backup running back going to be anything special? It's hardly a big surprise to find that that a team has jags filling the jag positions on the roster! :)

If White doesn't show superior pass catching skills, it might be a chance to throw more to Ridley. He seems to have improved in that area and that increases his threat.

If White can't run any better than he's shown, that reduces his effectiveness on third down. You can pick up a little receiver/rb/kick returner type on waivers.

It would be nice to see Vereen play a few games in a row. He had a broken wrist, but missed a lot of games with who knows what? as much as i hate people dogging players for injuries due to violent collisions, there are some players who simply can't take the pounding and i hope Vereen isn't one of those.

With Bolden being a heavy contributor on special teams, showing a consistent 4.9 YPC throughout the past two years, making good progress in the blitz pickup, AND receiving balls out of the backfield last year (20 catches compared to 2 the previous year), it's not difficult to understand why Bolden is still on the team.

Mostly it's likely due to a lack of better talent, as Bolden probably wouldn't be here if Finch, Gray, or Houston had actually shown anything.

I agree with you on almost every topic, but I can't defend Bolden because of his career YPC.

Every Bolden running play is a loss of down, he's not good at all between the tackles or outside of the tackles. White's head spinning is the only reason he hasn't surpassed Bolden and his 5.0ypc is a total fluke. Buffalo game in 2012 where they couldn't stop anything and in 2013 Tampa played that role, garbage time in the 55 point Steelers win and one 33 yard run against Denver (totaled 25 yards on 12 additional carries against Denver).

The only head scratcher is Bolden averaging nearly 5ypc on 5 runs against the Bengals last season. Otherwise his average are so skewed.

You're seeing what he's capable of without a strong run blocking OL in 2014, Ridley picks up yards after contact and Bolden hits the dirt as soon as he's looked at. White at least has some form of elusiveness, or at least he did in college and we've been lead to believe that all throughout TC.

I'd rather bring back Finch or Gray and let them get a shot playing Bolden's role but it may be a similar issue to White - not fully grasping the offense, Bolden does at least win that battle, if only by default because he's in his 3rd season here.

At least this year we have someone (White) who can more or less step into his role if needed.

we drafted his backup JAMES WHITE this year, and he got a lot of praise from Brady and BB even though he looked like crap in preseason

If Vereen is out my FF teams are screwed...but as long as they W. I am good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots