Welcome to PatsFans.com

Injuries in the secondary?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Sep 28, 2006.

1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 17 / -2

Will it take ten seasons for us to analyze this situation, and not call it bad luck? Do we need better training and conditioning? better warmups? different schemes? bigger, stronger players? What are the variables? What can be improved? Or do just need better karma? better luck?

I understand that we will always have injuries. But the patriots seem to always have injuries in the secondary.

We also always have running abck injuries, but so does everyone else.

THIS YEAR

HURT
    Jones to IR
    Mitchell to IR
    Gay to IR
    Hawkins out for weeks
    Wilson hurt and questionable
    Hobbs hurt and questionable

STILL RECOVERING
    Harrison

HEALTHY
    Samuel
    Sanders
    Scott
    Poteat
    ----------------------------------

Yes, I know we've recovered from worse. Yes, I know we've won Super Bowls with less.
  2. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

I don't see how MOST of the injuries that we've suffered at the position have anything to do with conditioning or the training staff. I lean toward us needing better karma/luck.
  3. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ya know, I was asking the very same questions last year. I believe that the Pats' DB's are smaller than what is now needed in the league, and I too question the strength and conditioning program. Far too many injuries each year on this team as compared to others.
  4. TNPatsFan

TNPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It really is weird. I don't know how it can be coincidence as it happens every year. But there's no logical explanation.

Then again, maybe it is something about conditioning or just BB unwilling to give injuries time to heal for DB's. I read today that Gay was seen walking around the locker room without a limp. Doesn't sound to me like he has an injury so serious that his season had to end.
  5. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Most regard the Pats as one of the best conditoned teams in the league.
  6. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Understood. Yet this is the fourth year that the secondary has had the injury bug. Look back, and you will see the injuries going all the way back to 03.
    04 was worse, and last year was just horrific. This year does not promise to be much better. These guys might just be too small to keep up the beating the larger receivers are giving them. They cant bump and run as well, they cant go up for the ball as well, they cant tackle as well, and they get hurt...a lot. If the team insists on using smaller guys, then there should be some adjustment to the training and nutrition regimens to get these guys stronger, tougher, and more durable. This problem, at least on the surface, is beginning to look systemic.
  7. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +217 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Well, the first question we can ask is: what sort of injuries are we talking about? An injury like Rodney's is catastrophic, unpredictable and just as likely to happen to a linebacker or a lineman as far as I can see.

For other injuries, there may be more of a pattern. Quite a few are shoulder or hamstring. Could they be avoided with better training, conditioning, stretching, warm-ups? I don't know, but I think it's a question worth asking, MGT.

(By the way, the "small guys getting injured" theory doesn't apply to Tebucky, does it, Shirtsleeve?)
  8. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

What else is new?
  9. Lockdown06

Lockdown06 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In my own personal opinion, I'd be really surprised to see Hobbs and Wilson miss the game this week - I think both of those guys are serious competitors, and I doubt they will want to miss such an important game (i think the team badly needs to win this one to regain a little swagger.)
  10. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, Mike.

But there has been a pattern here that cannot be ignored. BTW..OT...did you try the Boston Ale? Look also for smuttynose pale ale. Very good.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 7 / -23

These guys take a tremendous beating, and this is no surprise...however we seem to get more than our share. I read somewhere that our training staff is among the best in the NFL, remember Josh Miller credited the staff at Gillette with giving him 5 more good years in the NFL because of the regiment they developed for him. Have read similar comments before, I do wonder if our tendency towards "smaller dbacks" are a factor.
  12. TNPatsFan

TNPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hear this a lot. Most DB's in the NFL are small, especially CB's. Are the Patriots DB's really that much smaller than the league average?
  13. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dont dare make a definitive comment here, because I cant remember the source, but I will say I believe that the Pats are both shorter and lighter than the league average at corner. Gonna try to find that source to give definite numbers.
  14. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +217 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Ot

No, I didn't see it where I shopped. I had a Brooklyn Pilsner and then drank (rather, ingested at high speed in order to maintain a small amount of psychological self-control) a couple of Heinekens. I've got some more of the Pilsner in the refrigerator as well as a Harpoon IPA and a couple of Sam Adams Hefeweizen. What should I drink to seal the win in Cinci? ;)
  15. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Ot

Wachusett Green Monsters! Amost 10% alcohol, from what I have been told. That will seal something anyway!:D

Try the Smuttynose or the Sams Boston Ale. Others might be Steelrail Pale Ale by the Berkshire Brewing Co. or experiment with your local micro-brewer. Those three are very good ales. The Sam's is an amber and thus heavier than the others. Good luck!
  16. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +234 / 18 / -37

#50 Jersey

What is the pattern?

Mitchell - Catastrophic injury
    Jones - Catastrophic injury
    Harrison - Catastrophic Injury
  17. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Maybe they play their DB's more physical than other teams. That way the DB's give/receive more contact.
  18. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +119 / 26 / -18

No Jersey Selected

Bingo...and bingo.
  19. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

But many of the guys who go down are the bigger ones....Law, Harrison, Gus Scott, Chad Scott, Mitchell, Jones, Gay.

Poole is really the only teensy one who always ended up on IR.

There are other guys who are at times nicked...which is to be somewhat expected in football. The ones that really hurt are when guys end up on IR.
  20. Dragda

Dragda Yes, it's really me... PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

The best way to do that is to post something intentionally inaccurate. All of us know-it-alls will leap to post the accurate stats to prove you wrong. Works every time.

:p