PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ingram at #17?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No....Stevan Ridley, L.S.U. in Rd. 5.

Hes one of the best backs in this draft and nobody is talking about him! He runs so hard and he doesnt dance he just hits the hole. He really reminds me BenJarvis Green-Ellis which is a good thing. Hes also excellent in blitz pickup and he doesnt turn the ball over. He had two fumbles the first game of the year and never fumbled again the rest of the season!

I would even take Ridley late 3rd. We need RB depth and hes the best power back available after Ingram but hes going rd 1.

Drafting Ingram would give the team two BJGE's. Not the greatest athletes in the world, but pretty good running backs who play their position extremely well. They have a good zone back who contributes on 3rd in Woodie, and Faulk is likely up in the air. They need a good homerun back who can set up his blocks in the directional game and cut/burst in the zone game. It's really the only type of back they're missing and having such a back would lend further ambiguity to their two TE set.

Ingram= BJGE if he was on Alabama
Leshoure= Maroney^2

Anybody in particular that you like?

No clue. I'll leave the actual legwork to you guys while I lurk, read, and research. Then I'll come up with a pseudo-snarky opinion that's basically in line with what the good posters think by mid march which I'll support with excessive terminology.

Magnificent!!
too%20funny.gif

I'd much rather grab Deangelo Williams in free agency, myself. That would set up the draft to fall pretty much perfectly for me.

Wow...I couldn't agree less. To my thinking, it makes no sense to take a 28 year-old, constantly dinged-up RB and give him a big contract for the privilege. Williams, IIRC, was a four-year starter at Memphis, and has taken the lion's share of carries since. As good as he's been the last 5 years, his production isn't going to be worth the price tag going forward.

I'd rather take the 21 year old 2-year starter getting paid a rookie salary for four years.

Lather, Rinse, and Repeat.

That being said, running back shouldn't even be a consideration at 17, and barely one at 28 & 33.

Beautifull.

Bill is drafting my next binky ... Noel Devine.

He could be the next Devin Hester ... seriously.

I think Noel Devine reached his peak in 2008. Seriously. Where's Steve Slaton these days? He was a much better prospect than Devine ... all speed and little else. Those Rich Rod skill recruits aren't built for the NFL...they were built to get him a better head coaching gig.

Drafting Ingram would give the team two BJGE's. Not the greatest athletes in the world, but pretty good running backs who play their position extremely well. They have a good zone back who contributes on 3rd in Woodie, and Faulk is likely up in the air. They need a good homerun back who can set up his blocks in the directional game and cut/burst in the zone game. It's really the only type of back they're missing and having such a back would lend further ambiguity to their two TE set.

Ingram= BJGE if he was on Alabama
Leshoure= Maroney^2

i would hardly lumb BGE in the same universe as Ingram.

that being said, Ryan Williams sounds fine too. Ill take any one of the three

Ingram is one of a very few players I would consider at 17, but even so my preference would be to take defense at 17 and hope Ingram drops to us at 28. If not, take Leshoure at 33, and we have pretty good youth, depth and versatility at RB position between BJGE, Woody, Faulk and the rook.

At 17, I'd hope for a DE or OLB... or in a complete fluke hope to see Dareus drop to us. If those are all gone, trade back and take Ingram in the mid-20s.

Ingram is one of a very few players I would consider at 17, but even so my preference would be to take defense at 17 and hope Ingram drops to us at 28. If not, take Leshoure at 33, and we have pretty good youth, depth and versatility at RB position between BJGE, Woody, Faulk and the rook.

At 17, I'd hope for a DE or OLB... or in a complete fluke hope to see Dareus drop to us. If those are all gone, trade back and take Ingram in the mid-20s.

Not to mention that if a CBA gets done before the draft, their could be a large number of FA RBs that would fit the bill. These could all be possibilities.

Ryan Grant
Micheal Bush
Ahmad Bradshaw
DeAngelo Williams
Cedric Benson
Joseph Addai
Pierre Thomas
Ronnie Brown

Now im not saying they all will be FA, but some may not be with their current teams when/if FA starts.

Personally, in this scenario, I like Grant, followed by Brown, Thomas and then Addai. And i think Grant is gettable with the emergence of Starks. If we grab a FA RB, we get a guy that we know what they can do and cant do, plus gives us one less draft pick to burn on a back.

I think Noel Devine reached his peak in 2008. Seriously. Where's Steve Slaton these days? He was a much better prospect than Devine ... all speed and little else. Those Rich Rod skill recruits aren't built for the NFL...they were built to get him a better head coaching gig.

I don't know about that. I guess you have no where to go but down after releasing the most insane and freakish HS highlight tape of all time, but I think Devine is pretty good still. Given his build and speed people usually discount his ability to run up the middle. I really don't buy into that. You look at back who are built like mac trucks who cant hit holes. I like to think of players like CJ & JC who are patient and slither through holes at the line and avoid huge hits. I'm not saying he is as good as either of those players, but Devine has the ability to kick it outside or go up the gut. He is a really good runner who I think will be a steal wherever he is picked. Could be a home run hitter

i relly dont want the pats drafting any position that they are not great at drafting like RB WR OLB that high... if they stay at #17 they need to go with DE OL or CB thats what the pats are good at drafting and thats how u win games any ways by stoping the run not giveing up big plays in the passing game and protecting the QB

Last edited:
Gawd no! When was the last time that the Patriots drafted an impact RB? Curtis Martin? Ack.

BJGE and Ingram have a lot of similarities.

Both are listed at 5'10 215 pounds.

Both of their strengths are similar: Physical, between the tackles runner, decisive, determined (pushes pile for extra yards), ball security.

The main weakness of both is the lack of breakaway speed, or "homerun threat". However, Ingram is projected to run a 4.45 to a 4.5, while BJGE ran a 4.6, which is very slow for an nfl runningback.

Both played in the SEC. The poster above made a very good point IMO. If you took BJGE in his senior season (playing on a 3-9 Ole miss team that went winless in SEC play), and put him on Alabama, his stats would be different. Vice versa if Ingram played on a bad team.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't been a fan of Ingram for #17, #28, #33. RB isn't that top of a need and he is too similar to BJGE anyway. I'm not sold on Ingram being the next stud back either.

Not to mention that if a CBA gets done before the draft, their could be a large number of FA RBs that would fit the bill. These could all be possibilities.

Ryan Grant
Micheal Bush
Ahmad Bradshaw
DeAngelo Williams
Cedric Benson
Joseph Addai
Pierre Thomas
Ronnie Brown

Now im not saying they all will be FA, but some may not be with their current teams when/if FA starts.

Personally, in this scenario, I like Grant, followed by Brown, Thomas and then Addai. And i think Grant is gettable with the emergence of Starks. If we grab a FA RB, we get a guy that we know what they can do and cant do, plus gives us one less draft pick to burn on a back.

I would really like to sign Pierre Thomas because he can play all three downs and he doesnt fumble the ball. Deangelo Williams is the most talented RB on this list but he will cost too much money. Ronnie Brown would also be a solid addition and at limited carries the injury risk lessens as well. He does fumble a lot though! My ideal scenario is signing someone and then taking Stevan Ridley in the mid rounds to have a BJGE 2.0

I would really like to sign Pierre Thomas because he can play all three downs and he doesnt fumble the ball. Deangelo Williams is the most talented RB on this list but he will cost too much money. Ronnie Brown would also be a solid addition and at limited carries the injury risk lessens as well. He does fumble a lot though! My ideal scenario is signing someone and then taking Stevan Ridley in the mid rounds to have a BJGE 2.0

i would be a huge fan of getting Thomas, depending on how is ankle is. From what i read, the Pats tried to trade for him last year and it didnt happen. So maybe we can get him (healthy) this time around. Always liked him. He runs hard, catches the ball really well, is good around the endzone and like you said dosnt fumble much. I totally agree with you about Ronnie Brown too, he may be injury prone but, we wont need him to carry 20-25 times a game. Any of the 3, Grant, Thomas or Brown would be fine with me.

i would be a huge fan of getting Thomas, depending on how is ankle is. From what i read, the Pats tried to trade for him last year and it didnt happen. So maybe we can get him (healthy) this time around. Always liked him. He runs hard, catches the ball really well, is good around the endzone and like you said dosnt fumble much. I totally agree with you about Ronnie Brown too, he may be injury prone but, we wont need him to carry 20-25 times a game. Any of the 3, Grant, Thomas or Brown would be fine with me.

This was the slant of the most widely-circulated rumor report, but I'm not buying it. Beyond the fact that at least one of the original reports out of New Orleans implied that it was Payton who initiated the talks, the terms of the deal (as widely reported) don't make sense for the Pats having "tried to trade for" Thomas.

First of all, at the time, the Pats had only four healthy corners - McCourty, Arrington, Wilhite and Butler. Why would they initiate trade talks to shed one of them, especially for an RB who was already injured and who would be a free agent at the end of the season anyway? And how would that offer have been phrased? "We like Thomas so much that we'll give you a CB who we've already benched in trade as long as you kick in a 3rd-rounder" WTF?

An original report I read out of New Orleans speculated that Payton was trying to unload Thomas (who he apparently doesn't "like" anymore) while he could still get something for him and made an offer to the Pats. The Pats, presumably in the course of performing due diligence, listened to Payton's offer ("engaged in discussions") and countered a Thomas-for-Butler proposal by asking for a 3rd in addition, which thereby ended the discussion.

As long as were discussing drafting RBs, as a side note, I picked up the following from NFP about a heavily-recruited high school junior. It's possible that, in 4-5 years, we'll be having this discussion about this kid.

2010: Rushed 81 times for 1,136 yards (14.0 average) and 16 touchdowns. He also caught a touchdown pass. However, he played in only six games on the season due to a foot injury.

That would be Barry Sanders, Jr.

As long as were discussing drafting RBs, as a side note, I picked up the following from NFP about a heavily-recruited high school junior. It's possible that, in 4-5 years, we'll be having this discussion about this kid.

That would be Barry Sanders, Jr.

His numbers are pretty impressive, but Jonathan Gray dwarfs Sanders production.

Gray has rushed for 6,021 yards and 109 touchdowns in the last two seasons at Aledo High School — staggering numbers for the rising senior.

He scored 45 rushing touchdowns in 2009 and 59 in 2010. That's just insane...

Last edited:
His numbers are pretty impressive, but Jonathan Gray dwarfs Sanders production.

He scored 45 rushing touchdowns in 2009 and 59 in 2010. That's just insane...
59 touchdowns in a season...even if he played 20 games that's still 3 a game.

Would be interesting to follow his progress over the next few years. Fascinating to see if this sort of kid can actually translate to College and then NFL level play.

Given the playmakers on defense will be off the board by #17. Do we turn to offense? An if so......

Would Ingram at #17 fill the RB void left by the departures of Faulk, Morris and Taylor?

That would give us a potential 3 headed monster of Green, Woodhead and Ingram?

Ingram is tremendous between the tackles and rarely gets stopped for negative yardage. Except when playing Auburn hardly never fumbles and is more than willing in blitz pick up.

But he is not the fastest, not that great catching the ball and seems to be eternally nicked up or dinged.

28, I'd consider it. 17, too early.

Mark Ingram

Alabama RB Mark Ingram could be a real possibility for the Patriots at No. 17 in the draft.
The consensus top running back available this year, there's a school of thought that Ingram won't slip past the Dolphins at No. 15. A great blocker and pass catcher, however, he would be a nice complement to BenJarvus Green-Ellis if he fell to the Pats at No. 17.
-Rotoworld.com
I would really like it if we drafted Ingram, although I would prefer to take a DE at 17.

Re: Mark Ingram

Alabama RB Mark Ingram could be a real possibility for the Patriots at No. 17 in the draft.
The consensus top running back available this year, there's a school of thought that Ingram won't slip past the Dolphins at No. 15. A great blocker and pass catcher, however, he would be a nice complement to BenJarvus Green-Ellis if he fell to the Pats at No. 17.
-Rotoworld.com
I would really like it if we drafted Ingram, although I would prefer to take a DE at 17.

im with you bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing