PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ingram AND Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricktak

Banned
Reaction score
With all the Patriots picks this year, is it possible they make a bunch of trades adn get two blue chip players in the first round? I think it's very possible and my vote would be for them to get Mark Ingram and JJ Watt. If Ingram makes it past Miami, he could fall into the 20s and it's very possible that Watt could be there still at 17. I could see them trading up from 28, to go up a couple of spots to get Ingram too. It would be a like a fantasy draft but the Patriots have stockpiled enough picks to get someting like this done. They get a stud on offense (Ingram) and a stud on defense (Watt).

Last edited:
If I was in the war room I'd only take Ingram if he fell to 28. Even at that point, if a trade offer comes in for someone to swoop up Ingram, I'd trade the pick into 2012 and pick up a 3rd or whatever makes the trade equivalent.

Ingram's available at #28? You can't say no to that. Use #33 to deal down.

If the choice is basically between Ingram or a stud guard, I have to admit to leaning to Ingram.

Bad thing about RBs: They don't last long.
Good thing about RBs: They can be productive fast. (But this assumes they can block well enough.)

Last edited:
I'm all for Watt, but Ingram is an upgrade of BJGE. He's got nice burst, good vision and sheds well. However I question his production as being a product of that massive line. I also doubt his ability to play in a zone play. I don't think he is quite the cutter that scheme requires. With the TE depth and the emphasis we saw placed on wham and crack blocks it's not unreasonable to anticipate a shift to more directional stuff which Ingram makes sense for. If they still intend on going spread gun 20 to 40 snaps a game it wouldn't make sense to go with a back like Ingram.

I'm more on the trenches side of the argument. I want a a guy who can play the four technique and kick in for sub and an interior lineman. Never forget the importance of interior lineman when you have a QB whose game revolves around sliding up.

Last edited:
An RB absolutely, positively must be useful on passing downs.

It's nice if he's competent both as a blocker and receiver.

It's great if he's more than competent at at least one.

It's awesome if he excels at both, like Faulk; then it's almost OK if he's not much of an RB.

Last edited:
An RB absolutely, positively must be useful on passing downs.

It's nice if he's competent both as a blocker and receiver.

It's great if he's more than competent at at least one.

It's awesome if he excels at both, like Faulk; then it's almost OK if he's not much of an RB.

If Leshoure can pass-protect at all, he might be a better fit than Ingram. I wouldn't be shocked if BB got his DE at #17, traded the #28 to (e.g.) BUF for the #34 + #100, then traded the #33 for something in the middle of the 2nd + a 3rd and took Leshoure with the #34 and OL or OLB with that mid-2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes