PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Info needed on these 3: Everette Brown, Orakpo, Selvie

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So, I'm starting my draft research very late this year. Stumbled upon these three intriguing prospects that could be moved to olb in a 3-4. Who has tons of info they can throw at me about these guys?

I do think Selvie is better suited as a DE. ORapko is a possibility but doubtful.

some strengths of Selvie who reminds me of Jason Taylor.

George is a mean, lean pass rushing machine. He has an excellent burst off the line. He has those long legs and arms that give a DE the advantage when rushing the passer. George is an excellent teammate and plays within the context of his team's defensive game plan while making impact plays all game long. He does a solid job meeting his blocks and stuffing the run. He shows leadership skills through his play on the field and has a habit of impacting at the important part of a game. He is a smart player who looks to be very coachable. George has the potential at the next level to be an outstanding DE. He has franchise DE written all over him.

Info gotten from the Huddle report.

He does a solid job meeting his blocks and stuffing the run.

Something we haven't had in an olb since Willie left

He shows leadership skills through his play on the field and has a habit of impacting at the important part of a game. He is a smart player who looks to be very coachable.

Comes through in the clutch, and is coachable....me likes what I hear, thanks!

Also from the huddle report on Orakpo:

Summary:

Brian is a "jack of all trades, ace of none" type of player. He can rush the passer, but does it mostly on effort. He can stop the run if he is prepared for the run to come his way. He is the type of player who needs to be in an attack style of defense to impact. I personally think he would be a star in a defense like the Pittsburgh Steelers. I also feel that in a front four rotation situation like the Giants have, he would become a core player and a fan favorite. Some teams will rate him high and others might not give him a first grade rating, but I think just about any team in the draft will love this kid if they draft him. You have to love a kid who does not stop until the whistle is blown. Brian will be happy if he is just considered a disrupter because he looks to be a very good teammate. If you have a two gap defense, then I suggest you don't draft Brian unless you plan on moving him around and rotating him in and out and changing up your down lineman from 2 gap to 1 gap attack defense on passing downs!

Last I heard on Selvie is he was planning to stay for his senior year to raise his stock after the problems he had with his ankle this year.

Orakpo is carrying a high first round grade, from what I've read he could be developed into an OLB for NE, but you have to look at the Gholston and Crable rookie years to understand why I feel that's the wrong price for him.

If Brown comes out, he'll get snapped up by a 4-3 team in the Top 15 if not Top 5. The same arguments apply to him as Orakpo.

I'm not high on any of them as a 3-4 OLB for NE. All seem better off playing with their hand on the ground. It's not clear that any can play in space. Brown has an amazing spin move, Orapko is a combination bull/speed rusher, and Selvie's best skill is his motor and work ethic. I could see Orapko at best becoming a Merriman-type player for San Diego, but think it's more likely that he would take the slow path to adapt at OLB like Gholston, especially in a system like NEs which demands more of its OLBs than just rushing the passer.

I think Greg Hardy may end up better than any of them, though he is high risk.

I'm not high on any of them as a 3-4 OLB for NE. All seem better off playing with their hand on the ground. It's not clear that any can play in space. Brown has an amazing spin move, Orapko is a combination bull/speed rusher, and Selvie's best skill is his motor and work ethic. I could see Orapko at best becoming a Merriman-type player for San Diego, but think it's more likely that he would take the slow path to adapt at OLB like Gholston, especially in a system like NEs which demands more of its OLBs than just rushing the passer.

I think Greg Hardy may end up better than any of them, though he is high risk.

Greg Hardy - OleMissSports.com—Official Web Site of University of Mississippi Athletics

Pretty impressive size on Hardy at 6'5 255. What do you mean by high risk? Does he have injury issues? Also will he be around in round 2+ or is he a solid 1st round prospect?

http://www.extremesportclips.com/video/2565/Greg-Hardy-Highlight-Reel.html

I know you shouldn't get carried away from highlight reels but what I notice right off the bat the kid looks like he has a ginormous wingspan. He shows some relentless pursuit as well as awareness to bat down passes. And apparently you don't try to run a fake FG against Hardy. :)

Last edited:
Don't think Greg Hardy played against Tech in the cotton bowl.... foot injury still plaguing him.

I'm not familiar with all the details of Hardy's college career, but he seems to have shown streaks of immense talent interspersed with injuries and some inconsistency. He dominated in the Florida game this year, and then hasn't shown up in others. I'm not sure, but I vaguely recall that he may have been benched at one point due to lack of effort. There is a recent threat on nfldraftscout about him. He is also a junior, and undecided. A lot of people seem to think he would be better of going back for another year to prove that he can more consistently play to a high level, but there is no doubt that he has shown flashes of being a potentially dominant DE.

From what I can tell he is more of a true 4-3 end than a 3-4 tweener in any case, and I doubt his inconsistency would make him a likely pats candidate, but the physical ability is there in spades.

Selvie and Orakpo grade out as 4-3 DEs more than they do 3-4 OLBs. However, as Box mentioned, the rumors are out that Selvie is going to forego this draft. Its probably a very good move on his part since so many juniors are declaring, it will automatically raise the stock of the juniors who play out their senior years.

Brown is one who could be intriguing and his name has been bandied around by some.

Personally, I am like others and I don't see BB spending a 1st round pick on a conversion project.

Personally, I am like others and I don't see BB spending a 1st round pick on a conversion project.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. And, while I do understand the reasoning (that you lose one if not two of his rookie contract years just waiting for him to develop) we desparately need a difference maker on the edge. And, if we can't sign a guy like Suggs, where else are we gonna get him? I'm a big Crable fan, but I don't see him being an impact guy like a Willie in his prime, and I personally feel we need someone like that.

I don't know if anyone in interested, draftdaddy.com has video link to some of the draft prospects. Everette Brown, Orakpo, Selvie are in the list..

draftdaddy.com/features/video.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye