Welcome to PatsFans.com

Inexperience And Chemistry Holding Back the Patriots Defense

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsFans.com Article, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFans.com Article

PatsFans.com Article In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Inexperience And Chemistry Holding Back the Patriots Defense
    By: Ian Logue

Listening to some of the reactions Sunday afternoon, it's kind of surprising that fans didn't seem to realize that the Patriots defense was going to have their fair share of struggles early on this season....

2. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The twitter complaint is so god damn stupid. Chris Johnson eats McDonalds before every game. If twitter or any other type of social network is holding a player back they probably aren't that good in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  3. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Its going to take more than a few weeks to get this defense to a respectable level.

This is the NFL and not Madden - you can't flip a switch and suddenly you have a defense good enough to contend for a championship,the guys are young and will make mistakes,do stupid penalties and will be out of place at certain times,its called growing pains.

I expect this defense to take 1 or 2 years to develop and thats a big IF these players show talent down the road.

I am not throwing in the towel on the season because of our defense just yet,but I am realistic and realize if this team is to go anywhere in 2010 the offense MUST put about 30-35 points on the board nearly every game - anytime this team fails to score at least 28 points they will most likely lose.

4. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +174 / 3 / -1

Wise words. There's a reason that only two QB's have four rings (Joe and Terry) and only two others have three (Troy and Tommy). It takes time to build the two generations of Defense and Offense around great QB's that would be needed to win more. Let's not forget that TB has already had a shot at his fourth and was Tyree'd out of it. We also overlook the fact that the average career span of an NFL player is 3.3 years and that players in the trenches are on the lower end of that average.

5. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +85 / 4 / -3

I wonder if I watched the same game as multiple posters here.

A couple people mentioned Butler was beaten repeatedly during the game, and I actually heard the announcers say the same thing, but as I watched the game, I saw him only in on 3 plays.

This is what Ian wrote:

I saw him in there on a 7 yard out to Lee Evans and a run by Spiller. The other play was an incompletion. I wonder if Ian meant Arrington and not Butler? Because Arrington gave up a big run to Spiller as well.

Hmmmmmmm.

6. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +866 / 6 / -14

#75 Jersey

I think the coaching staff should insist they perform their assignments even if it means dumbing down the defense for a while.

Great article, right on point. Consider we expected growing pains even before the loss of Bossen and Warren too. I think we have the core of a great defense in their somewhere.

7. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +350 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

That was really more of just an observation. I just couldn't believe he (it was Gary Guyton) would Tweet at 11:30 at night before an important division game. I was up when he did and I was thinking, "Umm...shouldn't you be sleeping?"

Obviously Wilfork and the other guys handle it just fine...but you don't see Wilfork or any of the other guys tweeting at that hour the night before a game.

8. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +866 / 6 / -14

#75 Jersey

I think he does, then when they start bumping into each other, he can evaluate who gets it and who'll take time.

Then it will be back to "this is a football":D

Seriously, you've got great athleticism, why risk loss of confidence and bad habits? Make sure the technique is right and let the athleticism make plays. Get the basics down, then get more intricate.

9. Ian

Ratings:
    +350 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I wrote that before I watched it again, and I saw two plays where he was too far off and didn't close as quickly as he did in week one, and another where there was an incompletion. However, had the throw been better it probably would have been a completion. He obviously got outplayed by Arrington in this one, and I really hope he gets back to the way he looked during the opening game.

As I wrote it's just so strange watching him now...he's so tentative compared to the Bengals game. If you go back and watch the first couple of possessions by Cincinnati and watch how quick he broke on the ball and came up and made the hit, it's quite a difference from what we've seen the last couple of weeks. I don't know if he's just not dealing with it well or what his issue is...obviously I don't want the kid to fail and want to see him improve, so hopefully he gets it figured out.

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,144 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

reminds me of when they asked Terry Glenn what his diet secrets were for being a great athlete.

He told them he loved junk food ... ate it every day.

11. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +471 / 6 / -14

People are forgetting a lack of talent and mediocre personnel decisions have something to do with it also

12. VectorPrime

VectorPrime On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How, prey tell, do you know that our defense lacks talent?

13. Ian

Ratings:
    +350 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

Regarding the difference in the line-ups (7 different starters from last year):

Sunday's Starters:

Brace
    Wilfork
    Gerard Warren
    Cunningham
    Jerod Mayo
    Spikes
    Ninkovich
    Arrington
    McCourty
    Patrick Chung
    James Sanders

Here are the starters from week 3 last year:

Ty Warren
    Vince Wilfork
    Jarvis Green
    Derrick Burgess
    Gary Guyton
    Adalius Thomas
    Tully Banta-Cain
    Shawn Springs
    Leigh Bodden
    Brandon Meriweather
    Brandon McGowan

So obviously it's going to take a few games to get the timing and communication down between these guys.

14. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +85 / 4 / -3

I agree that he's not playing well, but even Reiss has him in there on only three plays with only one ball being thrown his way for a 7 yard gain.

That's why i asked.

Personally, I believe Butler has never looked as bad as Arrington did yesterday. Arrington made the same mistake against Spiller that Butler did, but I've never seen Butler lose his man twice by 15 yards. So, I can't say Arrington played better than Butler yesterday.

15. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -0

owww, wilfork is the only guy that on both those lists.....

16. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,084 / 32 / -49

No Jersey Selected

Yeah, I pointed that out to him the other day. But mav doesn't seem to want to read that. He almost seems content in his own ignorance.

17. Coach42

Coach42 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +72 / 8 / -12

#87 Jersey

Well if you want to take an optimist's approach you got to think that his D should improve more through out the year than an older veteran D. Right? Right?????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.