PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ineligible receiver rule changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy COW are Raven's fans bitter about losing in the playoffs lol!!!

Decided to pay a visit to their forum to see how they reacted to the rule change... omg hahahaha

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/t...triots-ineligible-receiver-shenanigans/page-4

Enjoy!

Such a sad and bitter group! I talked to one of my coworkers today who is also a head football coach for a local high school. He pulled up 5 different plays on HUDL of teams that he has played against that ran similar plays. He said that the officials don't even declare over a loud speaker who is eligible/ineligible. It is up to the defense to just figure it out. Pretty sad that 15-18 year old teenagers can figure this out on their own and the Ravens can't even after the official points to a player and says, "don't cover him."

Last edited:
These comments on PFT are just gold

-They finally got one right.

Whether the Patriots’ gimmick was technically illegal or not, it’s hard to argue that it wasn’t against the spirit of the substitution rules.

-There go the Patriots, ruining it for everyone else again.

-Patriots: building a legacy of dishonest cheaters.

-Hahaha another asterik on that superbowl trophy

Not sure any of these fans have any clue what goes on in games

its not stupid logic, its always been illegal, they just outsmarted the refs because there was no specific rule deeming this illegal, leaving the refs confused, even though these tactics broke the rules which generally outline deception and trickery.
Well this guy's clearly a master of stupid logic...

Next up hopefully they'll outlaw the unsporting and deceptive practice of disguising blitzes.

Given that Belichick's suggestions for rule changes are usually ignored (the exception being taller goal posts), and that his use of the rule book in a manner that embarrasses opposing coaches and teams usually leads to changes in the rule book, the next time he wants a rule change or a new rule, he just has to figure out a way to humiliate a team under the old rule and the NFL will subsequently make the change he wants without him formally having to ask that it be considered.

BB noted that this will impact other formations like the punt coverage........I will find it hysterical when the rule comes back to bite the Ravens in the *** on punt coverage or some other formation they had no idea that it impacted.
You just KNOW that's how it's going to end. ;)

So no peep when Detroit ran the same formation.

So no peeps when Panthers/Vikings heated footballs on the sideline or Rodgers admitting he likes his footballs overinflated.

I guess if it involves the Patriots, only then it's important enough to look at.

Also, college football hasn't banned this tactic. Good to know that college players and refs can handle exotic formations but the pros can't. SMH

Holy COW are Raven's fans bitter about losing in the playoffs lol!!!

Decided to pay a visit to their forum to see how they reacted to the rule change... omg hahahaha

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/t...triots-ineligible-receiver-shenanigans/page-4

Enjoy!

It's hilarious hearing Patriots fans whine about the "whining Ravens" though. The goalposts are each 5 feet higher than they were a few years ago. I'm sure they remember why. Hypocrites.

That group is insufferable. And equating this to a rule that helps ensure that to get 3 points, a field goal actually has to go between the goal posts, wow. Seriously, to them being awarded missed field goals was seen as some valid tactic unfairly thwarted!

I even saw one poster claiming the "general rule" is not to be deceptive. All this on the first page that pops up! I can't bear to read any more of it.

Hell, a draw play is deceptive. That's the whole point.

In the history of the world, innovation is despised. Van Gogh killed himself. Mozart died poor and hated. Galileo was tormented by the church.

To be fair to Harbaugh and the Ravens, their issue was more about how the officials handled things than about the moves themselves.

The rule change is overkill (Welcome to pretty much everything in the U.S. in the 2000s!), but they did have a point.

The narrative is not being conveyed in this way though, it's being conveyed as the Patriots being unethical and undermining the spirt of the rules that the league has in place.

So the official pointing out and saying "Do NOT cover him!" was not enough?

But the refs could be pointing to someone in the stands wearing a jersey when they announce the number and say they're ineligible. It's all very confusing and complex

The Pats are getting better at a faster rate than the rest of the NFL. Maybe the losers can come up with a rule change to fix that.

Hate to disagree about the Pats always being prepared, but from Wikipedia: "On September 21, 2008, the Miami Dolphins used the wildcat offense against the New England Patriots on six plays, which produced 5 touchdowns (four rushing and one passing—from Ronnie Brown himself) in a 38–13 upset victory."

But you are right that Belichick didn't complain. He studied film and in the next Miami game completely stopped the wildcat.

Exactly, Belichick got his teeth kicked in by a team unveiling a new, crazy scheme designed around deception and confusion..

And after the game, he didn't whine to anyone with a microphone that the Dolphins deceived them and that it shouldn't have been allowed.. because Belichick isn't a LOSER, he took his licks, studied film and accounted for the new formation so that he wouldn't be fooled next time.

And the wild cat wasnt just run like 3-4 times like the play the Pats used, it netted the Dolphins nearly 300 yards of offense and a couple TDS and was the reason they won the game... but only a gutless loser would go before a bunch of reporters in a press conference and whine that it wasn't fair..

That's why BB and the Patriots are winners and Champions.. they just deal with whatever obstacle is in front of them and keep going forward.

I think BB was (justifiably) POed at himself and his staff for not adjusting to the wild meowser by the 2nd half of that game.

I think BB was (justifiably) POed at himself and his staff for not adjusting to the wild meowser by the 2nd half of that game.

Or maybe he realized that winning the war meant losing the battle, so to speak (IOW, by letting the LOLphins have their fun the first time around, they were signing the death warrant for the Wildcat offense, in much the same way that BB has figured out the Andrew Luck Colts).

I must admit I'm somewhat disappointed that we won't get to see the various permutations on that formation with laterals back to Vereen, more TD receptions for solder, Gronk at tackle, and maybe even an ineligible receiver as part of a stack formation. Part of what makes the NFL so much fun is the IQ required of these behemoths and athletic freaks, but there is a distinct contingent that prefers to cater to the LCD among the physically gifted.

That said, I can think of many worse rule changes that have been made in the past few years, and by that standard, this one isn't that bad. Still, there's plenty of time for new points-of-emphasis that will cheapen the game, so there's still hope that all hope is lost.

Next time they play the Ravens have Hooman declare himself ineligible and Solder declare himself eligible on the same play just to see their brains melt.

The narrative is not being conveyed in this way though, it's being conveyed as the Patriots being unethical and undermining the spirt of the rules that the league has in place.

But the narrative being conveyed in whatever manner is irrelevant to whether or not the Ravens had a valid point. It's basically going to end up like the so-called "Brady rule", which is actually just an amendment to the Carson Palmer rule, but which has been re-named after Tom as a derogatory. Yes, the idiots will misunderstand, but the underlying reasoning will still be solid.

Mr Goodell, this is Mrs. Harbaugh...little Johnny's mother. It is just so unfair that Little Johnny has to play by the same the same rules as Little Billy when we all know that Little Billy is a lot smarter than my Little Johnny .
So the rule is now changed. Please welcome the NFL to the dumbing down of the rest of our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes