PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Indy Star -- Brady spurned receiver. Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan37

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Help me out with this. First, I'm having a hard time believing it's true, but if it is, which receiver do you think it was?

He can be equally demanding of teammates. His father recalled a regular-season game several years ago that the Patriots won handily, yet his son was fuming afterward. He had suffered an interception because the receiver ran the wrong route. That receiver did not have another ball come his way the rest of the season, according to Brady Sr.
...From this IndyStar article, toward the bottom.

Bethel? Andre Davis?

On Nov 13th at Miami, Brady threw 2 INTs and Bethel caught his last pass for the year. Was that it? Anyone remember that game?

Of course, that was last year, not several years ago. I'm not willing to go through the all the stats, but maybe someone remembers.

PatsFan37 said:
Help me out with this. First, I'm having a hard time believing it's true, but if it is, which receiver do you think it was?

Bethel? Andre Davis?

On Nov 13th at Miami, Brady threw 2 INTs and Bethel caught his last pass for the year. Was that it? Anyone remember that game?

Of course, that was last year, not several years ago. I'm not willing to go through the all the stats, but maybe someone remembers.

Not sure - but my only coment would be that depending on how long ago this was, the coaches would have to have been willing participants.

Maybe today he has complete authority on play calling but a few years back he wouldn't have been able to boycott a player for the remainder of the season without the coaches backing.

Donald Hayes?

Ok I started a search from the 2004 season. In 2003 there weren't any games that Tom threw an INT and the Pats won handily as all games were close. I'm guessing it came in 2004 because it says from a few years ago.

vs Arizona. Pats won by 11 and Tom threw 2 INTS
vs Miami. Pats won by 14 and Tom threw 1 INT
vs Seattle. Pats won by 10 and Tom threw 1 INT
vs Buffalo. Pats won by 23 and Tom threw 1 INT
vs Cleveland. Pats won by 27 and Tom threw 1 INT

Vs Buffalo. Tom throws 2 INTS but the pats win by 28
Vs the Jets. Tom throws 1 IN but the pats win by 10, this was also the 2nd to last game of the year.

I can't really find a player that sucked enough that Tom wouldn't throw to so it's anyones guess really.

TomBradyWoot said:
Ok I started a search from the 2004 season. In 2003 there weren't any games that Tom threw an INT and the Pats won handily as all games were close. I'm guessing it came in 2004 because it says from a few years ago.

vs Arizona. Pats won by 11 and Tom threw 2 INTS
vs Miami. Pats won by 14 and Tom threw 1 INT
vs Seattle. Pats won by 10 and Tom threw 1 INT
vs Buffalo. Pats won by 23 and Tom threw 1 INT
vs Cleveland. Pats won by 27 and Tom threw 1 INT

Vs Buffalo. Tom throws 2 INTS but the pats win by 28
Vs the Jets. Tom throws 1 IN but the pats win by 10, this was also the 2nd to last game of the year.

I can't really find a player that sucked enough that Tom wouldn't throw to so it's anyones guess really.

I'm thinking its 2002...

2005 is last year, 2004/2003 is a few, 2002/2001 is "several". There were som e blow outs that year when TB threw an int. The game against the jets stands out...

We've had a lot of receivers in here over the last few years. It could've even been someone who only played a bit, like a Dedric Ward, J.J. Stokes, or Jed Weaver. Too hard to speculate.

I've always suspected that the coaching staff had no confidence in Bethel's ability to run the right route.

Tim Dwight, post KC game last year. Never heard from again.

as long as he is an ex-receiver for the pats iam happy

I personally think that this is false, why would Toms father make a statement to the Indy star about his son. That is asinine. Do not believe every thing you read. This guy is the same guy who thinks dungy is as good of a coach as BB. “That they are evenâ€. Not even close. The only way I would believe it if tom said it and it was reported in The New England area. I definitely do not take anything that is written by the Indy star about the Pats seriously

The article is from yesterday's USA Today, written by Tom Pedulla. The Star just carried it today.

It's not Hayes. I checked and it doesn't fit the profile.

None of the games in 2003 fit the criteria. Looking at 2004, it could've been these games...

Wk 2 @ ARI: 23-12

Both of Brady's INTs came when throwing to David Givens. Obviously we can rule this one out.

Wk 5 vs MIA: 24-10

Brady's only INT came when throwing to David Kasper, but he threw a pass to Kasper again later in that game.

Wk 10 vs BUF: 29-6

Brady threw an INT on a pass intended for Bethel Johnson. This looked for a while like it was going to be it, but then Brady threw 3 more passes his way in the final game of the season against the 49ers.

Wk 13 @ CLE: 42-15

Givens again.

The story is pretty much horse dung.

That article made me feel so lucky to be a Pats fan...

Think about what it would be like to be a Cleveland or Baltimore or Dallas fan and read that...

We're lucky, folks. Cherish it.

Grizzafted said:
That article made me feel so lucky to be a Pats fan...

Think about what it would be like to be a Cleveland or Baltimore or Dallas fan and read that...

We're lucky, folks. Cherish it.

I definitely am. During the MNF game, I was talking to my brother and telling him how I never got to see Larry Bird play, and that Tom Brady is basically the Larry Bird of my generation. It's amazing to think that we got him 7 NFL Drafts ago as a second day flier.

rtunstal said:
I personally think that this is false, why would Toms father make a statement to the Indy star about his son. That is asinine. Do not believe every thing you read. This guy is the same guy who thinks dungy is as good of a coach as BB. “That they are evenâ€. Not even close. The only way I would believe it if tom said it and it was reported in The New England area. I definitely do not take anything that is written by the Indy star about the Pats seriously
Yeah, I'm sure a reporter just concocted that entire story and then used a made-up quote and attributed it to Brady's father. Falsifying a story is the cardinal sin in journalism and always results in termination, but I'm sure the writer hates the Pats so much that he was willing to put his entire career on the line just to spite Tom Brady.

PatsFan37 said:

Bethel? Andre Davis?

Let's see, a story out of Indy about the Refs favoring the Pats, and now a story out of Indy about TB's discontent with a past receiver. Someone in the Indy organization planting stories? Who in the Indy front office would do that???? If this conspiracy has any merit, I'm thinking expect more to come.

I highly doubt the story is completely true, and I'm also convinced the reporter didn't make it up. It's probably someone like Kasper or Bethel from the example above. Going the whole year and only getting one more ball thrown your way or only getting a couple in the last game could easily turn into "never got another ball" when the story was told a few years later.

These types of stories tend to grow bigger over time ... in a decade, the story will be that the receiver in question never played another game in the NFL.

My guess is Kevin Kasper in early '03. The guy was never involved in another game as far as I can remember...and let's be honest, did anyone really notice?

gettin' ready to head down to the Razor....the anticipation is like watching paint dry...Minny feels like last year....this totally feels like a playoff game.

I am pretty sure it was Bethel and Brady eventually blamed himself for being stupid enough to throw it to him in the first place. Don't know if it was an interception, so much as a drop or non-catch on an important 3rd down.

There is something about it in the new book on Tom Brady - Moving the Chains. Both Brady and his father are quoted in the book.

What was said about Bethel was that he couldn't understand the offense or run the right routes. It was never said whether he was arrogant, stupid, lazy, or all 3 - just that he never got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back