PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Individual matchups on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFan37

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what people think will be the best of the one-on-one battles Sunday afternoon.

My first pick is Hobbs-Evans. Hobbs is short with quick feet, a terrific jump and good speed down the field. Evans is taller, probably faster in a straight line, and it's a draw who's quicker, though I'd bet on Hobbs. They're both strong -- Evans is tough to jam at the line.

Evans great disadvantage is behind the LOS, the guy throwing the ball (though he did well in the preseason). We can expect that BB will rotate coverage to Evans side to give Hobbs help over the top.

This is one matchup I'm looking forward to.

Any others?

I would expect that there will be some safety help given to Hobbs.

Losman doesn't have the fortitude or pocket presence to really hadle a consistent pass rush. Knock him on his heals a few times and then he we start looking to run.

I expect that in the second half we will have Rodney creeping up and be stacking 8 men in the box to contian any run by Losman.

I figure given their aniemic o-line that our front three can shut down McGahee on thier own.

Alllll right. Aside from your thoughts on how the game is going to go in general, anybody else have any thoughts on particular individual matchups you're looking forward to seeing.

Graham and Spikes comes to mind.
Light and Schobel.

Just thought I'd generate some good game discussion.

I think what could determine the outcome of this game will be special teams.

The Bills have a good one, and the Pats with a few ST players already on the IR, this could be an area to watch..

The most important matchup for the Bills is first-round pick Donte Whitner and/or veteran Troy Vincent vs. Ben Watson.

With a decimated receiving crew, Brady will probably rely heavily on the tight end and, given his success with underneath passing, I suspect Brady to throw his way heavily.

Last edited:
B-LO said:
The most important matchup for the Bills is first-round pick Donte Whitner and/or veteran Troy Vincent vs. Ben Watson.

With a decimated receiving crew, Brady will probably rely heavily on the tight end and, given his success with underneath passing, I suspect Brady to throw his way heavily.
Good point. Watson will probably be featured in the game plan. I'm also thinking a key matchup will be Caldwell on whoever plays him. For all the bad press Caldwell gets, Brady has to go to him on several occasions. He doesn't have much choice.

Who's the CB who takes Caldwell?

Big Vince vs Bills center Fowler.

I have not seen Fowler play but if he is not up to the task, expect Big Vince to spend a lot of time in the Bills backfield being disruptive. If Vellarier(sp) has to help then that would open it up for our LB to shoot that gap.

PatsFan37 said:
Who's the CB who takes Caldwell?
I'm assuming that Clements will cover Gabriel so, in that case, Terrence McGee would take Caldwell.

B-LO said:

I agree. Buffalo taking away Brady's most important receiving option would be big. Don't know how easy it'll be for a rookie, even a talented hard-hitter like Whitner, but with Troy Vincent helping out, it's a match-up to look for.

patsox23 said:
I agree. Buffalo taking away Brady's most important receiving option would be big. Don't know how easy it'll be for a rookie, even a talented hard-hitter like Whitner, but with Troy Vincent helping out, it's a match-up to look for.
Yes, and if it takes two safeties or a safety and LB to "limit" Watson, that opens up Troy & Gabe & Reche outside, or Faulk underneath...:woohoo:

The match-up I'm looking for is more of a group thing, I'm anxious to see how Mankins, Koppen, and Neal plug the middle in pass protection, or clear it on interior runs against the Bills' new penetrating DTs.

How about Rodney, in his first real game back, againt McGahee.

Matchups I'm looking forward to:

O'Callaghan vs Chris Kelsay: Ryan's first game, I'm anxious to see how he does against Kelsay.

Seymour vs Mike Gandy: All of the DL vs OL matchups are in our favor, none more than this one.

Kick-off coverage vs McGee: This guy is super dangerous.

Ichiro said:
Matchups I'm looking forward to:

O'Callaghan vs Chris Kelsay: Ryan's first game, I'm anxious to see how he does against Kelsay.

Seymour vs Mike Gandy: All of the DL vs OL matchups are in our favor, none more than this one.

Kick-off coverage vs McGee: This guy is super dangerous.
Yep, he's the best in the game. I also hope Smith returns punts and kicks for you guys, since he use to be our returner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back