Welcome to PatsFans.com

Individual Gun Rights Reinforced by the Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, Jun 28, 2010.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Following their ruling a few years ago about the right to bear arms, the Supreme Court ruled today that the right of an individual to bear arms is "nationwide" and cannot be limited by federal, state, and even local government. This is a pretty significant ruling; what does everyone think?

Justices extend gun owner rights nationwide - Yahoo! News

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

Got to be a lose for those who support state rights and rail against the bigness of the federal government and it's interference in state's rights.

I wonder how this squares with those who are against big government but for for the right to bear arms?

If they're honest they've got to admit these two things are falling into direct contradictions of one another.

They're also going to have trouble convincing people that this administration is attempting to destroy the second ammendment which has been a favorite rallying cry of The Tea Party and other conservatives.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

I suspected that this would be the ruling..

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not really. Even those who support States Rights recognize and support the ultimate authority of the United States Constitution.

People who support states rights have the attitude "If it's not in the U.S. Constitution, then the Federal Government can't do it." The right to bear arms is clearly spelled out in the United States Constitution. You should read it sometime.
    So giving people more freedom in your mind means extending big government? Whuh-huh? :confused:
    Newsflash: The Supreme Court is not a member of the Obama Administration, so I don't see how a Supreme Court ruling could be used to refute a claim that Obama opposes the rights of gun ownership - especially when we look at how the justice Obama put in there voted.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

Has there ever been a more politically partisan court? Maybe it's been like this throughout history, but it seems like the 2nd Amendment is pretty straight forward. These decisions shouldn't always be 5-4, along political lines, like they are now. The DC case was 5-4 as well. Not good IMO.

6. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see how... they're affirming an individual right to bear arms, that can not be infringed by any government. That doesn't sound like big government picking on state rights, that sounds like they're supporting the constitution.

Agreed. It's sickening that our laws are filtered through a political party mindset before they are viewed and ruled on.
    Luckily, I am legally allowed to own guns so when the sh1t hits the fan, I'll be ready!!! heh.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

The rights guarenteed in the Bill of Rights are for the individual and cannot (in theory) be abridged by a state law.

These rulings shouldn't be 5-4. But that is the court we are stuck with. KAgan will be another judge who would ignore the Constitution when it comes to gun ownership.

8. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I must be reading it differently than everyone else:cool: The ruling doesn't address exactly what kinds of regulations states and towns can impose which doesn't really sound like great news for gun owners. It also says that some limitations on the Constitution could survive legal challenges.

Then it cites DC and says Chicago plans to become even stricter. Lawsuits will likely be filed but so far a federal judge has upheld the limitations. An appeal has been filed.

Justices extend gun owner rights nationwide - Yahoo! News

So you have to jump through a million hoops to own a gun, and then only for the purpose of defending your home which to me brings into question public carry for self-defense purposes?

Maybe it's my just my own read but I don't think it's good news at all. If your particular state decides against a whole lot of regulations, can those regulations now be overturned by federal law? :confused:

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 2 / -9

It's very hard to understand the inner workings of The Liberal Brain.

Why would anybody capable of coming to the conclusion that 2 plus 2 equals 4 want to take away the right of an adult law abiding citizen who has been investigated and issued a license to carry a registered legal firearm while completely ignoring the scumsucking savage criminal street bum who carry's one every day and night and will kill with it at the least provocation.

The Law Abiding Citizen Carrys His Gun For Protecton
    The Criminal Dog Carry's His Gun To Kill

Who's Gun Does The Liberal Jack A$s Want To Take Away.............:singing:

I love reading in the news about the little store owner who pulls his gun out from under the counter and shoots the pig robber in the stomach, scumsuckers who are "belly shot" suffer unbelieveable pain and it takes hours for the vermin to die.

10. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,395 / 33 / -53

No Jersey Selected

It is a contradiction. I agree with their ruling, but disagree with their right to make said ruling. We have the right to bear arms, but who is the federal government to tell states what they can and cannot do? I'm torn on this one, I guess.

11. lostjumper

lostjumper Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

yes, this is a very sad day for the United States of America. 4 members of the countries highest judicial court voted against the 2nd amendment. 4 liberal justices showed that they want to re-write the constitution, even though their job is to uphold it. The founders are rolling over in their graves.

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

States signed onto the Bill of Rights when they accepted statehood.

13. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I agree that this is kind of an example of some of the overblown rhetoric that we heard when Obama was elected. While he may not be a card-carrying NRA member, I didn't think that he would have federal agents rounding up all firearms in the country that belong to private citizens. The Alex Jones stuff is a little much for me. But I don't think it's really a loss for states' rights - the Supreme Court is specifically denoted in the Constitution as having the ability to interpret laws and make rulings about them. This is how the system is supposed to work.

As for the 5-4 thing, it was the same thing a few years ago (as I think RW mentioned). To me it should be a 9-0 thing. But this is why we need to pay attention to who we elect as President. We need to elect those who we think will put in professional judges and not ideologues - the problem is that this seems harder and harder to do.

14. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +781 / 6 / -9

That is...err...a novel interpretation of today's ruling.

15. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +781 / 6 / -9

Actually, when the states accepted statehood the Bill of Rights was seen to apply only to the federal government. Do try to keep up.

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

The Bill of Rights is about the freedoms of Citizens, it is ther to LIMIT government, lefties are truly clueless that's what makes you so dangerous to freedom.

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

USA!----USA!---USA!!

at least we lead the world in both gun ownership and guns per capita!

In the US, there are 90 guns for every 100 civilians! That's nine for every 10 men, women, children and babies! For a grand total of 270 million guns.

http://stephensimmonds.blogspot.com/2007/08/worldwide-gun-statistics.html

good thing most gun owning americans are both educated and not paranoid.

18. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

It's obvious for people who have disinterestedly looked at this topic that Justice Alito is correct in stating that the Framers of the Constitution and subsequent Bill of Rights . . . "counted the right to keep and bear arms among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty." The Second Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights.

Incorporation, a long ago settled matter, has included all the Bill of Rights except for the 2nd and 5th. It's long overdue decision.

In fact Geo. Washington called guns "liberty's teeth."