Welcome to PatsFans.com

Indiana Lawmaker Worries Women Will Lie About Rape

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

I don't know what makes me sadder....that some dude, who's never been in the position and who's never going to BE in the position, can say something like this about the women he claims to represent or that a majority of Indiana lawmakers must agree with him - since the proposed amendment exempting rape and incest from the new, stricter abortion law was voted down.

Eric Turner, a Republican state representative from Indiana, argued this week that a proposed amendment meant to add exceptions for rape and incest to a strict anti-abortion bill should not be considered because it would allow women to lie about cases of rape or incest in order to receive the procedure.

"I just want you to think about this, in my view, giant loophole that could be created where someone who could -- now i want to be careful, I don't want to disparage in any way someone who has gone through the experience of a rape or incest -- but someone who is desirous of an abortion could simply say that they've been raped or there's incest," Turner told his colleagues during a debate on HB 1210, a bill he introduced.

Turner's comments came in response to a proposal by State Rep. Gail Riecken (D), who brought forth a measure designed to scale back the legislation, which, if passed, would make Indiana one of the most restrictive states in the nation for abortion.

Indiana State Lawmaker: Women Seeking Abortions Could Falsely Claim Rape Or Incest

2. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,003 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Could they not?

I think he tried to be careful in how he phrased it, but there is no way that was going to sound good, especially to many women or anyone who supports abortion as a principle. If their goal was to restrict abortions, then his comment makes sense in that paradigm.

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

the problem with the statement, from a relatively objective, unemotional view, is that if you think there should be an exception when those things really occur, then you're saying that's too bad because of the potential for others to abuse it. That's a pretty bad approach to policy.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

This guy wants all abortion banned including rape and incest conceived pregnancies. He's using a straw man arguement, which in his state, passes for logic.

That being said, he makes a valid point that could easily be resolved by the requirement of filing a criminal complaint or identifying the rapist. Absent that, then the woman would have to go to a smart state and, if she's got any brains, stay there.

What to do about the woman who is raped and doesn't report it for fear or shame or guilt...I don't know.

I am opposed to telling a woman that she can't have an abortion, but I'm also opposed to living in a state like Indiana and expecting something in the way of reasonable culture.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 14 / -28

When I read this earlier, my sentiments were that another man trying to control a woman's body, and decisions associated with it.

Right now the pendulum is swinging one way, and soon it will come back to reasonableness...

These type of statements will incur the wrath of many..

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

I would think in the case of rape and incest that the crime should be reported.

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

Yes, you would think so, wouldn't you?

But you do see how it is for a woman, don't you?

I mean, here's a lawmaker, an elected official, one would think he is reasonably well educated and intelligent, and he's vocalizing the opinion that he suspects that women lie.

The logical conclusion a female might reach here is that men, especially men in important positions like a state representative or a lawyer or a judge or a police-officer, think that women lie.

Most especially they get the message that they are suspected of lying about rape and/or incest.

Not that women don't already know this, 13, don't get me wrong. We've always known that there are people of both sexes, but most especially men, who think that women lie about things like rape, incest and sexual abuse.

But this, this brings it all back home again.

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

what do the italics signify here, mrs?

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

Emphasis, anger, disgust.

Take your pick.

10. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Women and men are both known to lie.

Mr Turner was involved in a debate on the subject of abortion legislation and I think he made a fair point.

I disagree with his legislation, but I think somebody trying to develop new laws should examine all aspects.

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

He is acknowledging the fact that a woman who wants an abortion who hasn't been raped would use the claim of rape to circumvent the law. This is obvious, the remedy is that the rape be reported to the police.

12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

That doesn't solve the supposed problem.

13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

that's fair -- I'm skeptical, though, that he always does so

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

I think a person would be hesitant to report a rape that never happened. If the person were caught they could be charged with a crime. Seems a reasonable approach, nothing is perfect of course.

15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

I would hope so, but if his concern is an exploitable loophole, that still exists.

16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you saying that women don't ever lie about rape?

[​IMG]

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 14 / -28

If someone comes to you and tells you that they have been raped, then you have a duty to report it.. gee that was too easy....

18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Whenever some service, benefit or monetary reward is available to people
    based on presenting some kind of criteria there will be some that lie about meeting it. Drug addicts fake injury or pain for pills, dishonest business people lie about expenses and income, tax payers cheat and yes some women lie about rape. Some may lie to get at a partner, some will lie to extort money but when it comes to claiming rape to get an abortion I think it needs a little more understanding. I'm not saying it's completely justified but I think from a woman's point of view it would be tempting and might be even desperate. I know I'm a male and my opinion is worthless:rolleyes: but if I'm at least a little right then the lawmaker does have a point.....though I think the magnitude of it is pretty small. The law itself is another argument entirely though.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cute Little Al Sharpton:
    Charge: In 1987, a 15-year-old black girl named Tawana Brawley went missing and was found four days later covered in dog feces and with racial slurs written on her body. She claimed that at least two and possibly six white men, one of them carrying a badge, had repeatedly raped her in the woods in upstate New York. Sharpton took up Brawley's cause and defended her refusal to cooperate with prosecutors, saying that asking her to meet with New York's attorney general (who had been asked by Gov. Mario Cuomo to supervise the investigation) would be like "asking someone who watched someone killed in the gas chamber to sit down with Mr. Hitler." According to the Associated Press, Sharpton and Brawley's lawyers asserted "on 33 separate occasions" that a local prosecutor named Steven Pagones "had kidnapped, abused and raped" Brawley. There was no evidence, and Pagones was soon cleared. Sharpton then accused a local police cult with ties to the Irish Republican Army of perpetrating the alleged assault. The case fizzled when a security guard for Brawley's lawyers testified that the lawyers and Sharpton knew Brawley was lying. A grand jury investigation concluded in late 1988 that Brawley "was not the victim of forcible sexual assault" and that the whole thing was a hoax.

A troubling story about Al Sharpton. - By William Saletan, Ben Jacobs, and Avi Zenilman - Slate Magazine

20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

That should be made part of the law and a police report should be filed.