Welcome to PatsFans.com

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by BradyManny, May 23, 2008.

1. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Anybody else seen it yet? I've been a huge Indy fan since I was a kid, and I would say this is the third best out of the 4 (1- Raiders 2- Crusade 3-Crystal 4-Doom).

The first half of the film has the feel of Raiders - it begins off with some intense, exciting sequences and we see some great chemistry and banter between Ford and Shia Lebouf. Somewhere in the middle, the tone becomes less serious, the intensity begins to fade, and Spielberg/Lucas and gang begin to aim more for laughs and less for thrills - still, there is a handful of both to be found. There's also a few iffy things, I won't reference for the sake of spoilers...but just realize going in, that this film is a little bit more on par with Doom and Crusade, and if you keep your expectation level at that, any fan of the originals will likely find this a very entertaining film as well.
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That's pretty much what I come to expect from that crowd. That and thinly veiled political messages. As in Iron Man. The evil US supplying the world with the weapons of war. There's an almost laughable moment when a character reveals his family was killed, as he is dying on a bag that is stamped U.S. and the line "for sale" is visible under that. Of course the fact France hooks up more middle east bad guys than anyone is a point they don't touch on. :rolleyes:

Oh and lots of product placement. Verizon, Burger King, Apple, Dell, Audi, GM
  3. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

I agree about the product placement, but neither that nor its political message deterred me from generally enjoying Iron Man.

As for Indy, I don't think you'll see too much politics in it. Now, there are a few iffy things, and the entire premise for the plot asks the viewer to allow the film to drift further into Sci-Fi and the supernatural than it ever has, but aside that, it is what you'd expect - a well crafted, well produced, high quality B-movie with great set pieces, memorable lines, and some decent gags.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Too many movies scream of politics these days. Personally, I think a lot of the legendary names of Hollywood, have lost their fastball of late. I think they're interjecting to much of their personal beliefs into both film plots, and scripts. Sucks when you only want to be entertained. :(
  5. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I guess I'm one of the few who really liked Temple of Doom. Yeah it was weird and dark but I kind of liked that. Plus the opening scene was pure entertainment.

I've been debating seeing this movie to blow off some real life steam, and I'm hesitating.

it's pretty clear that Lucas and Spielberg have lost their fastballs. Star Wars prequels were like stabbing my eyes out. Wow, they were ******* horrible. I don;t think Spielberg has made a compelling movie since Saving Private Ryan, although maybe I missed one somewhere.

Talent in any walk of life is very precious and it is not a permanent gift. It fades over time.

The ascendant star seems to be Christopher Nolan. Batman Begins had some original vision and intelligence, and I thought the Prestige was genius. Hopefully The Dark Knight can deliver. That's a flick I will definitely try to catch in the big theater.

Putting aside personal politics, we are all Americans... and I really didn;t appreciate the things G. Paltrow had to say about our country and how she preferred to live in England. So I'm not going to see a movie with her if I can avoid it. So I wrote off Iron Man, although everyone seems to like it.
  6. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Ahh yes! I loved Batman Begins. Out of all comic book films that is by far my favorite. Instead of just a CG roller coaster ride it was actually well written. And I think Paltrow is done. I have to say I was quite impressed with her singing voice in Duets and I use to find her quite attractive but, I was surprised by how old she looked in Iron Man. She's only in her late 30s but, she looks 10 years older than that. My only real problem with Iron Man though was too much :blahblah: not enough IIIIIIIRON MANNNNNNN! :)
  7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Oh man it was AWESOME. Raiders and then this easy, IMO.
  8. Keegs

Keegs Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I just saw it yesterday. I loved all the Indys, even Temple of Doom... i think the first scene in the Temple of Doom is the best opening scene in any movie ever.

Indy 4 was good, and the 1st half was way better/cooler than the 2nd half.

I was a little disappointing though since ive been waiting forever for this movie. I realized today that it couldn't possibly live up to my expectations.

here's a good thread from imdb about the "suspension of disbelief"...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/board/thread/107020594

In the other indys, the unbelievable crap was more believable, or ignored by the viewer b/c the movie was done so well... I didn't feel like that was the case with this one...

Some of the scenes were too ridiculous and reminded me of the Mummy Returns or Pirates 2 with the overly-ridiculous action scenes.
  9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +880 / 16 / -24

No Jersey Selected

-Can't agree more. TOD was definitely entertaining despite not having the Nazis and being a bit darker, but it was still entertaining.

-The first two were really bad but the third one was entertaining. They played it perfectly because (even though people wanted to see him), they left Darth Vader off until the end and concentrated on Anakin's turn. Leaving Vader in the whole movie would have been lame since we've seen that three times already. Oh, and Spielberg did "War of the Worlds" which was very compelling.

-Again, cannot agree more. Dark Knight is the movie of the summer for me and I'll be there on opening night to see what was so dark that Heath Ledger had to overdose on sleeping pills just to get a good night's rest.

-Movie stars and musicians need to STFU about their political views. They are monkeys pretty much. Here to entertain us, but other than that, I don't give a damn what their views are.
  10. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

(SPOILER ALERT) Yup, I saw it yesterday and was disappointed for that reason (and I liked all three previous Indy movies). Some of the action scenes were just too impossible and cartoon-like -- the kid swinging through the jungle on vines and landing in the speeding car, going over the waterfalls and staying in the vehicle, falling 100 feet onto stone and getting up and running, dodging multiple machine guns, sword-fighting while straddling two speeding cars racing through the jungle, etc. All Spielberg had to do was make these sequences just a tad more realistic for a sense of danger vs. laughs, and it would've been much more satisfying.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  11. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +706 / 8 / -9

Disable Jersey

Good to see the old (literally) characters again but the lame attempts at physical comedy in the action scenes eliminated any pretense of tension. I know, I know, the hero doesn't buy the farm in these flicks but a good action director amps up the adrenaline. A wasted couple hours but not unpleasent. I'm not pissed about it like I would have been had I seen any of Lucas' Star Wars prequels in the theater. Yak!
  12. jgpatriot

jgpatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought it was good. The movie had a good lines and plenty of action. The wife did not like the explanation of the skulls at the end.