Welcome to PatsFans.com

Incredible Consistency: 45 games without a multiscore defeat

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patchick, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I was just looking over the Patriots' schedule, and I realized that they have played 45 straight games without being "out of a game" -- losing by more than one score (eight points).

That's an unbelievable record of consistency which no other team comes close to. Only one other team, Seattle, made it through even this season without a thrashing. The Ravens, also considered models of consistency and also playing in their second straight AFCC, have been thoroughly whupped twice in each of the past two seasons.

This is a disciplined team that competes. Ravens fans with visions of a blowout dancing in their heads are very likely to be disappointed.
  2. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I love fun facts.
  3. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

all that does is make for shorter fingernails...lol
  4. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Last double digit playoff loss by the Pats: 33-14 to the Ravens in 2009. I bet BB isn't forgetting that one.
  5. randomk1

randomk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

14-2,13-3(SB trip),12-4(some very close losses from 15-1,AFC game so far)

Yeah...the pig is ripe for the slaughter!
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

It is amusing when the pundits claim that this is not a dynasty, as we have only won 3 superbowls instead of 5.. but this statistic proves what most of know, despite all the whyning and bytching about our defense or how BB does not know how to draft or other such nonsense.. we are a dynasty, enjoy every minute of it.
  7. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Arguably the most "impressive" "save" in that string was the San Francisco game. Down 31-3 against the best defense in the NFL, and still evened up the game and only lost by 7. A bad game in some ways, but a very good test of resiliency in others.
  8. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Looking back on that game, now that the Patriots are hosting the AFC Championship, I see that defeat against San Fran as a positive for the team actually. I'd go as far as to say that the way that game unfolded did more for them than a comfortable win would have.
  9. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I disagree a little bit. You have to know the Patriots, from being way ahead so many times, are quite aware that the 49ers let up, the same way the Patriots sometimes do when blowing out another team. It's a false sense of security to think the Patriots are on par with San Fran. That game more or less showed that they are not.

There may have been some overconfidence from thrashing Houston the week before, but I take very little comfort in the fact that the Patriots came back.
  10. randomk1

randomk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They started playing more prevent but once Brady was in a groove they really couldn't stop it. Their D looked gassed and I think there were reports of guys talking about "a lesson learned" after the game. Coming back from a deficit like that against what is considered the #1 D is definitely something you can build on and learn from.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  11. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you high? Oh, I'm sure San Fran played looser after being up 31-3, but the Patriots eventually tied the game. It's not like they were up 31-3, the Patriots ended up losing like 34-24 and the score didn't accurately reflect the game because the 49ers were never in any danger of losing. They went from having a 28 point lead, to the game being tied in the span of 15 minutes. The game was very much in doubt at that point. If you believe all that was a product of the 49ers "letting up", you must take Harbaugh and their players for absolute spineless fools.
  12. ivanvamp

ivanvamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd suggest that the play that saved the 49ers bacon in that game was the kickoff return immediately following the Pats' TD that tied it up at 31. That was enormous. If they start that drive at their own 20, I think NE wins the game.
  13. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Which only proves my point. I mean, how do you let your team be in that situation? How can anyone argue that comeback was the mere product of the 49ers playing soft? It boggles my mind.
  14. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

frantically knocking wood....
  15. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Yes they could. And they did when they went back to more press-man looks, forcing one drive to stall at midfield and the other to stall on a 4th down attempt in the shadow of our own goalpost.
  16. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So they let up 28 points because they just didn't really bother to stop the Patriots?
  17. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

No, it's because they gave a lot more zone looks to try to force the Patriots to use more time off the clock in order to score. They also underestimated New England's ability to strike downfield once those looks were implemented. Add that with a few timely stops by our defense, and the Patriots were back in the game. They went back to giving Brady more press-man looks late when the game was suddenly in doubt and they stalled our offense again.

This is really common knowledge. It was talked about pretty extensively in the media and on this board.
  18. randomk1

randomk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So they come up short after coming back from 31-3? (nvm horrible STs and Kyle Arrington giving up a TD immediately). All i was saying was that even though the team lost i still liked what they showed in that game.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

More incredible to me is that they only lost 2 games by more than 7 points in the Bradyless 2008 season.
  20. TinhWoodhead

TinhWoodhead Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i thought 8 pts is still a one score?
  21. Nehalem

Nehalem Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it was 5 timely stops in a row.
  22. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

That's fine. And I agree with that part of your post. Hopefully it was a lesson that the team learned and, should they meet SF in the Super Bowl, will learn to apply it.

They were impressive once the offense stopped coughing the ball up. Eliminate one of those turnovers, the special teams return, or teach Arrington how to tackle, and the Patriots could have pulled off one of the most memorable comebacks in history.
  23. CityOfChampions

CityOfChampions Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Am I reading this wrong or something? The Patriots are on par with San Fran. We had 4 or 5 turnovers and really crappy play yet only lost by 7 after being down 31-3. That won't happen again.
  24. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I know of at least one game where they should've received a thrashing.
  25. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

No sh**, huh?

Oh well, all streaks come to an end.

Regards,
    Chris
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.