Welcome to PatsFans.com

Inconvenient Truth? Iraq election hailed as 'great success'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jan 31, 2009.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

There's a chance this is a little premature but can we start to say that Iraq has more potential now than ever to be a free, complete with more human rights country than it ever had before Saddam was toppled? Could it be when it's all said and done that it might have been worth it? LOL, I can only imagine the long face on Michael Moore right now.:rolleyes: I know this article made me smile as I read about the Iraqi's pride and celebration of their right to vote their concience in peacful settings around the country.

Iraq election hailed as 'great success' - Conflict in Iraq- msnbc.com

No reports of major violence as 14,000 candidates fight for 440 seats

BAGHDAD - Iraqis held their most peaceful election since the fall of Saddam Hussein on Saturday, and voting for provincial councils ended without a single major attack reported anywhere in the country.

"No security breaches took place during the election. Things went as we planned and as we hoped," Defense Ministry spokesman Major General Mohammed al-Askary said.

"I consider it a great success, like a wedding."

Iraqi forces are determined to show they can keep security in the country as U.S. troops begin to withdraw almost six years after the invasion to overthrow Saddam.

There was something of a holiday atmosphere in many parts of the country. In normally traffic-choked Baghdad, children took advantage of a ban on cars to play soccer in the streets.

Video

Women pave new path in Iraq
    Jan. 30: Thanks in part to a new 25 percent quota for women officials in Saturday's provincial elections, women are playing an increasingly high-profile role in Iraq.
    Nightly News

"How can we not vote? All of us here have always complained about being oppressed and not having a leader who represented us. Now is our chance," said Basra voter Abdul Hussein Nuri.

'Picture of trust'
    The 140,000 U.S. troops in Iraq had patrols on the streets and helicopters in the sky but mostly kept a low profile. A U.S. armored column was seen weaving down a Baghdad street between children and rocks placed in the road as makeshift soccer goals.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +828 / 27 / -33

It only cost over 100,000 Iraqi's their lives, many women and children, and about 5,000 Americans.. not sure how any of this can be valued..

3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +573 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Personally, I could have cared less had Saddam stayed in power. Just like I could care less if they're now democratic. The US is not the world police running around trying to free countries. If that was the case, why pick Iraq and not the other 50 non-democratic nations?

No matter what, it was wrong of the U.S. to invade iraq. That's a fact, not an opinion.

4. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

If the country continues to progress the way it is, it could be full of people who see a great value. There seems to be a great many today in fact. This is a good thing for them and i think for the world and it means there's indeed light at the end of the occupation tunnel. Did you read the article?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,038 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

The American Revolution cost 50,000+ Americans their lives in the name of democracy. Would you say that wasn't worth it? Could you not see how that could be valued? Or would you rather being living under British rule still?

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That was for our own democracy!
    I don't recall another army coming in and kicking out the Brits for us. Those were Americans who died.

There is no comparison.

7. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah...good for them. Great value for them is right. They didn't have to lift a finger for it...at least until after we were done doing the job for them and spending a trillion dollars of our money.

It won't last long after we leave, when they will revert to their medieval culture and resume their own misogynous, tribal, murderous ways.

8. fierce

fierce Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Yeah cause the French didn't come to our aid at all. :lame:

9. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

They're lifting their fingers by taking more responsibility for their own security now. I hope you're wrong about them reverting to the old ways, are you? Not trying to be a smart ***** but sometimes I think people route for this to fail for political posturing purposes.

10. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Are you comparing THE American Revolution to George Bush's Iraq War?? :confused:

11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,038 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

The French Navy HAMMERED the British on the shores. They actually helped us win the war. If the Brits had left America and re-armed, we'd all probably have British accents by now.

EDIT: Damn! Somebody already beat me to the punch.

12. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,038 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

My how people forget how many of us were chomping at the bit to go into Iraq in 2003. George Bush's Iraq War huh? It only turned into that after a few years. I wish I could bring up the CNN poll asking Americans what should be done with Iraq that was taken in 2003.

13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

How many French died?
    The French came to our AID. They didn't initiate the war and didn't fight the entire war for us by themselves.
    That's an idiotic comparison. Not even close.
    ...talk about lame....:cool:

14. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +154 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

Popular opinion in the US on the invasion of Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2nd guessers are lame.

15. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +154 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

[​IMG]

Please show me where it says George Bush? Or Barack Obama?

16. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Good for them.
    I am not rooting against the Iraqi People. I hope they can pick up where we left off. My problem is that we should not have even been there in the first place. Just because we did what we did and the Iraqis are where they are today because of it is not a justification for going into Iraq. If that was the case, we should be invading Burma, the Congo, Zimbabwe, and any other sh!thole that isn't free. Any of these places could have been taken out by American forces and "rebuilt" as a western-style democracy...why not?

It's not our job to free the entire world. If we decided as a country that it was our job, then I could see it, but we haven't and it isn't. You and I both know that Congress was negligent when they authorized use of force. You and I both knoww that the White House bullsh!tted the People about the "danger" posed by Iraq.

I am rooting for the families or our guys and women who died there or got permanent injuries like amputations, brain injuries and broken families. I care about the tens of thousands of dead Iraqis and countless injured ones, too, but not as much as our own. They paid a price for these surviving Iraqis who didn't have the balls to take out Hussein on their own. It was not our job to free Iraq.

17. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

18. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

I only hope that the joy you feel for the Iraqis will make you want to experience the same joy for Americans when Obama spends similar amounts to help people without health insurance, in danger of losing their homes, etc. One thing is clear, though, Obama's belief that the troops could come home in 16 months seems to be a justified one. Though, Iraq might recover from all the death and destruction needlessly imposed on it, one wonders how the antiAmerican resentiment of those who lost family or their homes because of the war will play out.

20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +3,038 / 40 / -63

No Jersey Selected

Guarantee you that if we pull out of Iraq in 16 months and the current government is toppled by radicals, it will be our fault "because we pulled out too fast and didn't make sure the Democracy would stand". Isn't that the way it always works out? America is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Right now, all people do is ***** that we're still in there. If something like that happens when we leave, people will ***** because we left too fast.