Welcome to PatsFans.com

Inconvenient Truth Disclaimer

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, Oct 5, 2007.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I heard about this on the news and thought it was pretty interesting. Apparently, British classrooms will be required to show a disclaimer about Inconvenient Truth if they show it in class, stating that it is politically biased and contains possible inaccuracies (link - http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2007/10/03/teachers_to_warn_pupils_about_truth_bias/6597/). I think it's a fair way to handle showing the film in a classroom setting. It shouldn't be flat out banned from classrooms, but people should certainly know the ideological viewpoints of the people involved. That's pretty much a must for anyone reading/viewing/listening to anything designed to transfer information. Context is so important and often overlooked.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bingo!!

//
  3. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I think they should also have a parental permission form - similar to what they had at the grade schools down in MD. If they where going to show a R rated movie, you had to get your parents permission. If they where going to show a movie with sexual context - Parental permission. If they where going to show a stupid movie that makes absurd claims based on "factual" information that really isn't factual at all - Parental permission.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Why even show it?
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Another "Bingo!!"

If it's just political posturing -- which it certainly is, coming from the man who's still crazy with bitterness for losing to "a moron" -- then it should be treated as just that: a paid political advertisement.

I'll start taking AlGore seriously when he gives up his own fleet of SUVs, helicopters, and private planes, not to mention his private home that uses ten times the amount of energy that an average family (including Geo W Bush's) uses. When he takes his "save the earth from internal combustion pollution" by riding a bicycle, then he'll gain at least some cred. Not until.

//