PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inactives

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There will be inactives in every game. Sometimes the last inactive depends on the game plan. Inactive almost always chose from the following roster spots (if they exist). To me, these are the bottom roster spots. We will have extensive discussion of the critical positions. IMHO, these six should never be considered critical.

#8 OL
#9 OL
#5 WR
#6 WR
#6 DL
#7 DL
the most injured or perhaps a developmental player

Backup linebackers and defensive backs are usually active because they are usually of top coverage STers.

These players are NOT critical to the success of the team, unless there are injuries at their positions. None will get significant reps unless there are two injuries at their positions.

There will be inactives in every game. Sometimes the last inactive depends on the game plan. Inactive almost always chose from the following roster spots (if they exist). To me, these are the bottom roster spots. We will have extensive discussion of the critical positions. IMHO, these six should never be considered critical.

#8 OL
#9 OL
#5 WR
#6 WR
#6 DL
#7 DL

Backup linebackers and defensive backs are usually active because they are usually of top coverage STers.

These players are NOT critical to the success of the team, unless there are injuries at their positions. None will get significant reps unless there are two injuries at their positions.

Not critical but by the end of the year it is more of a battle of attrition, the 45-53 players become essential and many are forced to be starters.

None of the spots above should be addressed through free agency unless it is for vet minimum.

Quite frankly I don't understand why their has to be "inactives". YOu have a 53 man roster, wha tis the purpose of not having all 53 palyer dress and be ready to play, if needed.

I know "it is what it is". But does anyone know the real reason that there are inactives? I'd appreciate hearing from someone who knows the answer.

Quite frankly I don't understand why their has to be "inactives". YOu have a 53 man roster, wha tis the purpose of not having all 53 palyer dress and be ready to play, if needed.

I know "it is what it is". But does anyone know the real reason that there are inactives? I'd appreciate hearing from someone who knows the answer.

To prevent players from getting too specialized. The more players a team has available on gamedays, the more they can have player A in to do this and player X to do that.

And since inactives are posted before the game, teams can have an idea of which injured players will not be playing.

#8 OL
#9 OL
#5 WR
#6 WR
#6 DL
#7 DL

Excellent point, stemming from the Hill thread.

Essentially, here's how these shook out this year:

#8 OL - Britt (4th OT)
#9 OL - Mruczkowski/Yates (4th G/C)
#5 WR - Kight (First to be active if injuries elsewhere)
#6 WR - Childress (Woods before Childress was promoted)
#6 DL - Hill (4th DE)
#7 DL - Smith (3rd NT)

To prevent players from getting too specialized. The more players a team has available on gamedays, the more they can have player A in to do this and player X to do that.

And since inactives are posted before the game, teams can have an idea of which injured players will not be playing.
IIRC the reason teams declare inactives is so there is not too great an advantage given to the team playing with less injuries. Only playing with 45/46 players instead of the full 53 usually ensures each team will have the same number of healthy players available.

IIRC the reason teams declare inactives is so there is not too great an advantage given to the team playing with less injuries. Only playing with 45/46 players instead of the full 53 usually ensures each team will have the same number of healthy players available.

Thanks, that makes a little more sense of the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back