PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inactives: Mallet, Faulk, Price, Thomas, Ellis, Cunningham, Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
After last week, I'm wondering if that's going to change this week. I could see Anderson playing more than just on 3rd downs. He, along with Carter have been our best pass rush. The Giants' passing game is much more of a threat than their running game, especially w/ Bradshaw out and of course with our passing D problems.
That would mean we play our nickel package as the base.
We have done that against the other Manning, but otherwise very rarely.

I believe that our run defense is improved since that time, so long ago.

For the last 13 weeks of last season we allowed the 4th fewest points in the NFL, 2 more than the 3rd ranked Ravens, and 26 fewer than the Jets.
That is not a long time ago.

After last week, I'm wondering if that's going to change this week. I could see Anderson playing more than just on 3rd downs. He, along with Carter have been our best pass rush. The Giants' passing game is much more of a threat than their running game, especially w/ Bradshaw out and of course with our passing D problems.
By the way, I don't know how the pass rush gets a lionshare of the blame for last week.
I know its a kneejerk reaction when the other team throws 50 times to say we should have rushed the QB better, but most of the success they had was with fast developing underneath throws that the pass rush rarely can help against, not the slow developing down the field throws that the pass rush needs to prevent.

For the last 13 weeks of last season we allowed the 4th fewest points in the NFL, 2 more than the 3rd ranked Ravens, and 26 fewer than the Jets.
That is not a long time ago.

That's awesome but you still can't deny the fact that BB's defenses have been coming up awfully short when it matters the most since Super Bowl 38.

2005: Defense was awful as a whole
2006: Historic meltdown in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game
2007: Ugh...
2008: Defense was pretty bad, especially in that 2nd game vs the Jets
2009: Defense was again overall awful and got destroyed by the Ravens
2010: Couldn't stop the Jets at all

Last edited:
By the way, I don't know how the pass rush gets a lionshare of the blame for last week.
I know its a kneejerk reaction when the other team throws 50 times to say we should have rushed the QB better, but most of the success they had was with fast developing underneath throws that the pass rush rarely can help against, not the slow developing down the field throws that the pass rush needs to prevent.

IIRC Ben had only two passes over 20 yards. Most of his passes were short to intermediate. That of course, defeats pass-rushing a great deal of the time.

That's awesome but you still can't deny the fact that BB's defenses have been coming up awfully short when it matters the most since Super Bowl 38.

You can say the same thing about any team that doesnt win the SB.

Again, in that timeframe yuo reference we allowed the 3rd fewest points in the NFL. The Steelers allowed 30 fewer in those 6 years and 96 games, and the Ravens allowed 26 fewer.
Its ridiculous to say we did not play good defense from 2005 through 2010.

IIRC Ben had only two passes over 20 yards. Most of his passes were short to intermediate. That of course, defeats pass-rushing a great deal of the time.
I think that what we are evolving into is a defense that takes 'smart' chances. Hitting receivers, rerouting them, throwing off timing. To do that we have to develop confidence in the safeties to play over the top, and that is a work in progress. I think the 2 deep man under coverage that is becoming popular is something we want to do, but its suicide if you cannot trust the safeties. Barrett is active today, and I think he is a big part of the plan. I know he didn't play great before his injury, but he needs some time and some health.

If you look even further, you can also even say that our defense, even on those years that we won SBs, have given up game-tying drives to opposing offenses in the biggest games of the year. It's just that in those years, Brady has led them to game winning drives.

If you look even further, you can also even say that our defense, even on those years that we won SBs, have given up game-tying drives to opposing offenses in the biggest games of the year. It's just that in those years, Brady has led them to game winning drives.
Hmmmm, now the defense that won the SB 3 out of 4 years wasn't good enough for you. Your posts become more embarrassing to you every day.

Obviously the whole defense was to blame. With the "bend but don't break" defense that we've had for longest time, protecting against the deep pass by giving up the short- and mid-passing routes while simultaneously being able to protect against the run, it would make more sense that the alternative is protecting against the deep pass with a pass rush while moving up the secondary. That would leave the rush D more vulnerable, but against a pass heavy offense, it would make more sense. I'm not an x's and o's guy, but it's something I've been wondering about.

Obviously the whole defense was to blame. With the "bend but don't break" defense that we've had for longest time, protecting against the deep pass by giving up the short- and mid-passing routes while simultaneously being able to protect against the run, it would make more sense that the alternative is protecting against the deep pass with a pass rush while moving up the secondary. That would leave the rush D more vulnerable, but against a pass heavy offense, it would make more sense. I'm not an x's and o's guy, but it's something I've been wondering about.
Do you really think it is productive to discuss whether we have a better idea of football strategy than Bill Belichick? The results show he has a better idea than anyone who gets paid to do it, much less me or you.

Hmmmm, now the defense that won the SB 3 out of 4 years wasn't good enough for you. Your posts become more embarrassing to you every day.

Why put words into my mouth? Maybe you misunderstood my post which was to point out that sometimes good and even great defenses have bad outings.

It's like you automatically respond negatively to everything I posts. You can't even be objective in doing so. LOL.

Why put words into my mouth? Maybe you misunderstood my post which was to point out that sometimes good and even great defenses have bad outings.

It's like you automatically respond negatively to everything I posts. You can't even be objective in doing so. LOL.
You added to a post saying our defense was bad from 2005 to 2010 (when it wasnt) by criticizing the defense in SB WINS.
There was no comment in your post coming close to inferring what you just typed after realize how foolish it was.

Do you really think it is productive to discuss whether we have a better idea of football strategy than Bill Belichick? The results show he has a better idea than anyone who gets paid to do it, much less me or you.

Nope, didn't say anything close to that. Just speculating on how he's going to change things... that is, if he feels he needs to. If there were no speculation by the fans, this board wouldn't exist.

You added to a post saying our defense was bad from 2005 to 2010 (when it wasnt) by criticizing the defense in SB WINS.
There was no comment in your post coming close to inferring what you just typed after realize how foolish it was.

So our defenses did not give up game tying drives? Did you mentally blocked that out of your mind too? I notice you block out a lot of things in your head, but those game tying drives were critical.

Maybe BB should have taken Cunningham's teammate Dunlap, you know the guy who was picked fight after Cunningham who has more sacks than the patriots!

There are so many bad personell decisions that it is hard to keep track of them all!!! I forgot about Cunningham! Just like today I was thinking that Vareen was a waste of a thrid round pick, when I realized that is not true, he is a waste of a second round pick! What great "Vaule" the Pats got with those two second rounders, huh, Ras-I madeofglass and Shane "I can't beat out Danny Woodhead or a 457 year old Kevin Faulk" for playing time.

Shane Vereen time???

Maybe BB should have taken Cunningham's teammate Dunlap, you know the guy who was picked fight after Cunningham who has more sacks than the patriots!

There are so many bad personell decisions that it is hard to keep track of them all!!! I forgot about Cunningham! Just like today I was thinking that Vareen was a waste of a thrid round pick, when I realized that is not true, he is a waste of a second round pick! What great "Vaule" the Pats got with those two second rounders, huh, Ras-I madeofglass and Shane "I can't beat out Danny Woodhead or a 457 year old Kevin Faulk" for playing time.

Ras-I was a similar play to Gronkowski - pick a 1st rounder who didn't play his last year in college and dropped out of the first. Unfortunately, its a high risk strategy that fails often. The good news is that Gronk will probably be the best tight end in football next year. Sadly, Ras-I may be on IR, who knows. So don't criticize that pick of Ras-I.

Now if you want to criticize , then wonder why all the other safeties and corners that were cut in the preseason when we all knew this new guy had the injury bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back