PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Inactive players

Status
Not open for further replies.

outhere

Rookie
Reaction score
Just a question about the whole inactive player policy. Why does the NFL do this? It doesn't really make sense to have players on your roster you can't play. I mean what happens if 2 QBs get hurt and the 3rd one is inactive. Is there some rational reason buried in NFL logic for this policy? If there isn't, is there movement to make all 53 on the roster playable?

A) For teams know what to expect from the other

B) To prevent one team from having an advantage is the other has injured players

C) To prevent over-specialization of players (more players, fewer duties)

Just a question about the whole inactive player policy. Why does the NFL do this? It doesn't really make sense to have players on your roster you can't play. I mean what happens if 2 QBs get hurt and the 3rd one is inactive. Is there some rational reason buried in NFL logic for this policy? If there isn't, is there movement to make all 53 on the roster playable?
My bet is $$$. That is always the NFL answer.

I'm guessing players need a certain number of active games to get an accrued season for pension benefits.

When the roster size was raised is when the inactive crap started. Has to be $$$.

My bet is $$$. That is always the NFL answer.

I'm guessing players need a certain number of active games to get an accrued season for pension benefits.

When the roster size was raised is when the inactive crap started. Has to be $$$.

Maybe. But accrued seasons depend on whether a play is on the roster, not whether he is active or not. It may or not be the same for benefits.

The QB position is the only one where the QB, who is inactive, is actually dressed and can play. But if the #3 QB enters the game prior to the 4th quarter, neither the #1 or #2 QBs can re-enter the game.

Maybe. But accrued seasons depend on whether a play is on the roster, not whether he is active or not. It may or not be the same for benefits.
Yeah, I honestly don't know, but when I think of weird NFL rules, I always follow the money trail...

Also, there is more than one kind of accrued season, as we found out with Guss Scott.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing