PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In your opinion,what portion of players in the NFL opt for $$$ compared to winning?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What Percentage Of Players in Today's NFL opt for money over titles?

• 10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20%

• 30%

• 40%

• 50%

• 60%

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 70%

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • 80%

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • 90%

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • 100%

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: In your opinion,what portion of players in the NFL opt for $$$ compared to winnin

I think you are overlooking the point. It isn't necessarily that "$15 million isn't good enough". It is that they can get a 25% raise just go go elsewhere in the country, where there may be other positives outside of football as well (climate, family, taxes etc.).

As we've seen recently with Darren Sharper, many players DO equate love and appreciation from a team with what that team offers financially, but I don't get the immediate assumption that Sharper no longer wants to be on a winner.

Young players are prone to go after that money with all the uncertainty and lack of guaranteed money in the NFL. Many veterans see that their careers are winding down and want to get all the money that they can before it happens. I don't think they are being as selfish as we sometimes make them sound considering the commercial success of the league. As ridiculous as it is, these players are extremely valuable assets who are worth the millions and millions they are worth. It only makes sense to get near market value unless you are already in a position to support yourself and, in many cases, many others for life after retirement.

Last edited:
Re: In your opinion,what portion of players in the NFL opt for $$$ compared to winnin

I think you are overlooking the point. It isn't necessarily that "$15 million isn't good enough". It is that they can get a 25% raise just go go elsewhere in the country, where there may be other positives outside of football as well (climate, family, taxes etc.).

As we've seen recently with Darren Sharper, many players DO equate love and appreciation from a team with what that team offers financially, but I don't get the immediate assumption that Sharper no longer wants to be on a winner.

Young players are prone to go after that money with all the uncertainty and lack of guaranteed money in the NFL. Many veterans see that their careers are winding down and want to get all the money that they can before it happens. I don't think they are being as selfish as we sometimes make them sound considering the commercial success of the league. As ridiculous as it is, these players are extremely valuable assets who are worth the millions and millions they are worth. It only makes sense to get near market value unless you are already in a position to support yourself and, in many cases, many others for life after retirement.

I know what you are saying....Just 15 Million dollars in the bank is an awful lot of money at 30 or so years of age

Can anyone,even with a few kids see themselves running out of 15 Million bucks in less than 30 years?....I can't...and I am a gambler - I just think crying about 5 million and sentensing yourself to a team like the Rams or Lions instead of playing for an elite team for a bit less unless its incredibly less the is dumb - As Brady has said,NFL players are overpaid.

I know what you are saying....Just 15 Million dollars in the bank is an awful lot of money at 30 or so years of age

Can anyone,even with a few kids see themselves running out of 15 Million bucks in less than 30 years?....I can't...and I am a gambler - I just think crying about 5 million and sentensing yourself to a team like the Rams or Lions instead of playing for an elite team for a bit less unless its incredibly less the is dumb - As Brady has said,NFL players are overpaid.

By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.

Recession or no recession, many NFL, NBA and Major League - 03.23.09 - SI Vault

Its not just that that, theres also a role on the team
Example Ben Watson, im sure he got offered more money from the browns but they also offered him a bigger role on the team

Yeah,Its a shame because I really wonder how they waste so much money

If I had 15 Million I am sure I could do everything I wanted and more and thats even if I lived till 85 or so,but some get too crazy with the cash and buy frivilous stuff which I am sure these guys do often,thus being broke after having 15 Million is no surprise in the sporting world,especially the athletes who get all caught up in the drug and alcohol problems after leaving the league.

Divorce is another issue and depends if your spouse is a ***** or not :)

Last edited:

What would be an interesting study for someone (NFLPA) to do would be to look at the JAGs who move for the dollar and compare that to the JAGs who stay put and to compare their post-career endorsement-type earnings.

at the very top, yeah, i agree Deus. But at the bottom or middle, these guys aren't looking at a whole lot of endorsement money. Maybe they catch on with a local insurance or real estate broker...

it all depends on what you mean by "a bit less." We're talking about a million dollars here like it's chump change, but most folks work a long time to see that kind of bread. Many, if not most, never see it in a lifetime. These guys are entitled to every dime that the market says that they are worth is my point.

And, remember, the Uncle takes 35--38% (depending on when the Bush tax cuts expire) of everything over a couple hundred thousand and the state takes another chunk, as much as 8% in some localities. So, the $15 can become $8 or $9 pretty quickly.

We're talking about "entertainer athletes" at the top of their profession. They should be paid as such. Being on a champion or contender is a "nice to have," but maximizing your potential during a very brief, highly risky career is a necessity.

Why shouldn't these guys have a chance to build wealth for themselves and for their families...generational wealth? It's one of the great things about this country.

It's not just about what they might or might not "run out of" in a lifetime, but about what they can build for descendants they'll never know. They have unique skills that are uniquely valued by a market; more power to them for maximizing their potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back