PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In your opinion,what portion of players in the NFL opt for $$$ compared to winning?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What Percentage Of Players in Today's NFL opt for money over titles?

• 10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20%

• 30%

• 40%

• 50%

• 60%

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 70%

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • 80%

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • 90%

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • 100%

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
We see it every year where a player comes off a team that is loaded for a championship run the following season, yet turns down that teams offer and obviously that teams chances to win a championship by going the other way and signing with a team that has vitually no chance to make the playoffs and has been .500 or less for much of the past decade or two.

With that being said,what percentage of players in the NFL from 10% to 100% do you feel opts for more money and lucrative long term secured deals with teams that are very unlikley to win a title compared to playing on a team that has a more talented roster,better coaching and a much better chance of winning it all in any given year but refuse the offer because it was not as much as the other,lesser talented team?

Curious minds want to know your opinion?

Last edited:
Re: In your opinion,what portion of players in the NFL opt for $$$ compared to winnin

We see it every year where a player comes off a team that is loaded for a championship run the following season, yet turns down that teams offer and obviously that teams chances to win a championship by going the other way and signing with a team that has vitually no chance to make the playoffs and has been .500 or less for much of the past decade or two.

With that being said,what percentage of players in the NFL from 10% to 100%do you feel opts for more money and lucrative long term secured deals with teams that are very unlikley to win a title compared to playing on a team that has a more talented roster,better coaching and a much better chance of winning it all in any given year but refuse the offer because it was not as much as the other,lesser talented team?

Curious minds want to know your opinion?

An "opinion" on % numbers is pretty useless. A study, while imperfect, would tell us more, but I doubt anyone will attempt that study.

But if I had to guess, and % numbers are pretty terrible usually when guessed, I'd say that less than 10% turn down ANY money for wins. I also guess that it's virtually 0% that refuse anything significant.

Most players are influenced by their Agents, and agents couldn't give a damn whether they win or lose, they have to get their small (%-wise) cut.

So my stupid guess would be a little less than 100% in this poll, but that's not an option. I'd say maybe 95-98%

Last edited:
Re: In your opinion,what portion of players in the NFL opt for $$$ compared to winnin

Can't really put a number on it, but when it comes down to it, players will chase the money much more often than not. Sometimes if you're lucky you get to have both (Adam Vinatieri in 2006). Players who take a discount to stay with the Patriots aren't guaranteed to win more. How many people this time last year thought the Saints (8-8, last place in NFC South) had a better shot at winning the Super Bowl than the Patriots (11-5, second place in AFC East)? Heath Evans got a pay raise to leave New England for New Orleans, and he got his ring right away.

Especially in the NFL where contracts aren't all guaranteed, players are going to chase the money more than anything, and hope that the winning would be the gravy on top. They go from a winning team to a losing team, and hope to invoke a winning spirit with their new teams. A guy like Watson, who took a 6-year, rookie salary contract, is going to the Browns as an opportunity to earn money he never got (and probably never was going to get) with the Patriots, and to be a focal part of a rebuilding team's offense. And given Cleveland's lack of a proven offensive threat, and the uncertainty of the quarterback situation, I can see Watson thriving as a safety valve for whoever the Browns put at the helm. And let's face it, the Patriots as constructed right now (I am aware the offseason is still young) are not built to win a Super Bowl. They are currently a thinned-out version of last year's 10-6 team. This is the wisest career move for Watson, and that's why it's not as simple as saying he, or other players in his situation, is leaving just to get paid.

tedy bruschi is gone......its 100% now

There was no option for 99.9% so I went with 90% :)

Depends on the money gap. I'd estimate that just about 100% of players would take a $10 million salary on the Browns over a minimum salary on the Colts.

why would anyone sign for less? i wouldnt. its nice to win, but its nicer to be richer

Last edited:

It also matters where the player is in their stage of their careers.

IIRC, Rodney Harrison picked the Patriots over taking more money with the Raiders because he wanted a ring and it was getting late in his career.

On the other hand you have Ty Law, who was fulfilled with winning 3 rings with the Patriots and decided to chase the biggest contracts he could find at the end of his career.

Guys like Tedy Bruschi, Troy Brown, and Kevin Faulk are special exceptions, as they each won 3 rings and had opportunities to sign elsewhere, but were happy and content in New England and didn't see the need to start their careers over in new locker rooms just to chase a few extra bucks.

I think a more clear picture would be to look at the age of players willing to take less money to play for winners vs the age of players willing to take more money to play for losing teams.

The way I see it, the older the player gets and the less time left they have playing in the NFL, the more likely they'll take less money to try to win a championship. I believe that young players want to get "paid" now because they always have time to try to win a championship later on.

The question is somewhat flawed, in that it holds out money and titles as the only two options.

Players are no different than other people: sometimes money isn't the most important thing. But that doesn't mean winning is, either. General lifestyle and enjoyment of life for both you and your family are sometimes most important.

Obviously money is a key ingredient to making your life easier. But once your financial needs are sufficiently met, most people look to improve other areas of their life. And winning also makes your life better, but it's not the only thing that can do so. And it's far from guaranteed, so risking your lifestyle for a chance at a ring is something not everyone will do.

I voted 90% on the poll, but what I really meant was "only 10% of players opt for titles" rather than "90% opt for money". Because titles % is probably only 10% but money is probably less than %90. Though I admit agents skew the % from what the general population would do.

well....actually, there are ways to get both.....both branch and givens got a couple of rings, then went for the money. vinatieri took the money and got another ring.

then there was damien woody, daniel graham

but given the average NFL career is what 5 years, anyone who does not take the money is not too bright

I think early in their careers, it's mainly about the money. After a while priorities may shift toward: (a) playing their whole career in the same place; (b) moving to closer to home; or (c) winning a championship. After they win a championship, then substitute "more money" for "winning a championship."

Last edited:

part of the problem is that the league itself forces it to be about money......

say you're a 2nd or 3rd rounder...you play for not much more than the minimum and if you're really good, you don't get what you feel you deserve until the shackles of restriced free angency are removed.

before his kneww blew up, welker was getting ready to make it about money by asking to redo his contract

the pats get away with 'underpaying' a pro-bowler like samuel until they had to tag him.......5 years in watching all kinds of other players take in 20X more is enough to make anyone be about money.

I am just using the pats as an example because that's who I am familiar with.......every other team is the same.....its just the way the NFL is set up to exist

but given the average NFL career is what 5 years, anyone who does not take the money is not too bright

Agree 100%.

The average NFL career is 3.5 seasons, according to the NFLPA. The average salary is $1.1 million. Given that about 10% of the players have big contracts that inflate the average, the median salary is a lot lower.

I've also seen some data that is reputedly from the NFLPA, but that I can't find a source for, but it makes sense: Running Back Careers are shortest at 2.6 years average; WR's follow at 2.8 and Corners 2.9 years. Longest careers belong to Kickers and Punters, who average 4.9 years. QB's average 4.4 years.

Bottom line for the vast, vast majority of players is that they should get as much money as they can as soon as they can get it. The privileged few who command big salaries might have the luxury of leaving a few dollars on the table, but most don't.

Agree 100%.

The average NFL career is 3.5 seasons, according to the NFLPA. The average salary is $1.1 million. Given that about 10% of the players have big contracts that inflate the average, the median salary is a lot lower.

I've also seen some data that is reputedly from the NFLPA, but that I can't find a source for, but it makes sense: Running Back Careers are shortest at 2.6 years average; WR's follow at 2.8 and Corners 2.9 years. Longest careers belong to Kickers and Punters, who average 4.9 years. QB's average 4.4 years.

Bottom line for the vast, vast majority of players is that they should get as much money as they can as soon as they can get it. The privileged few who command big salaries might have the luxury of leaving a few dollars on the table, but most don't.

What would be an interesting study for someone (NFLPA) to do would be to look at the JAGs who move for the dollar and compare that to the JAGs who stay put and to compare their post-career endorsement-type earnings.

I think the poll is bogus...and here's the reason why...FIRSTLY how many players HAVE that chance?? It's not like there are 100% free agents in the league at any given time...a GREAT DEAL are tied to teams via the draft and such..so...one would need to EXCLUDE them from the total...and then..look at who's left....
I agree it depends on stages of a career a great deal...and such..but it's a LOT harder to come up with a percentage given the large portion who are under contracts when first in the league.

This question doesn't make quantitative sense. There are multiple factors that weigh into a new contract. I don't think a player will ever leave millions on the table, but I know some players who would take a marginal amount less to sign with a winner. A lot of times FA's end up with bad teams because they offer big money and an opportunity to start. Plus, some of the biggest free agents egos allow them to believe that they are going to go to any destination and still win solely because they are there.

Of course money is a significant factor, these guys have a limited amount of time to make money that will support themselves and their families for their entire lives. That said, every player is in a different situation, some haven't won and have already gotten paid, these are the men likely to take significantly less to sign with a team that is obviously in a good situation to win.

Last edited:

will if you look at it like this. say a big name FA gets offerd this much by the jets. a team that went to the AFC champ game.

but the texans who did not make the playoffs are offering 2 million a year more. at first you would say he is takeing money over winning. but if you take a better look. both the jets and texans were 9-7 and the texans have a better QB and offense. so a FA may think he is the guy to take this team to the next level.

just look at the New Orleans Saints they went from 8-8 to 13-3 and won the super bowl. the pats. eagels. colts. and steelers. are not the only teams in the NFL so why take less to play for one of the so called winning teams.

There are a few rare guys like Bruschi who just love to play and don't care so much about the money. But football is a business and these athletes have very small windows to earn their money before their bodies are worn out. So I totally understand why over 90% of football players do want to get paid and get paid well.

AND I don't see anything wrong with that. After guys have earned their cash and gotten older, then usually titles become more important to them because they have already secured a large bankroll. That's when you see some of the older vets taking discounts to play with teams they feel give them the best chance to win.

There are a few rare guys like Bruschi who just love to play and don't care so much about the money. But football is a business and these athletes have very small windows to earn their money before their bodies are worn out. So I totally understand why over 90% of football players do want to get paid and get paid well.

AND I don't see anything wrong with that. After guys have earned their cash and gotten older, then usually titles become more important to them because they have already secured a large bankroll. That's when you see some of the older vets taking discounts to play with teams they feel give them the best chance to win.

Somehow I sit and wonder of how some of these guys complain and squawk about receiving 15 Million guaranteed instead of 20 Million and this is even for guys who may be out of football at 30 years of age

Is there really anyone in here even if you are 30 years old that 15 Million dollars isn't enough to live for the next 30-50 years and EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE at that? - Couldn't see me spending that unless I was to buy things I didn't need and often at that.

I'll never understand why 15 Million isn't enough and to go from a great team to a crap team for 5 million more?....Today's players are beyond spoiled - take them in a time capsule back to the 70s and see how money was paid back then,those players played as hard back then as they do today (inflation considered).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes