Welcome to PatsFans.com

In US, record numbers are plunged into poverty

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 15 / -14

It's this kind of news that makes me distrust the religious right. Why, on the political front, are they most visible in cost-free solutions to controversial issues (such as gay rights and women's rights), but are not visible in a most fundamental issue for religion: poverty? (And, of course, this terrible news reflects yet another failure of the Republican Party.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070225/ts_alt_afp/useconomypoverty;_ylt=AuSQnwzP4gS5s5Pml4B1x6cDW7oF

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The gulf between rich and poor in the United States is yawning wider than ever, and the number of extremely impoverished is at a three-decade high, a report out Saturday found.

Based on the latest available US census data from 2005, the McClatchy Newspapers analysis found that almost 16 million Americans live in "deep or severe poverty" defined as a family of four with two children earning less than 9,903 dollars -- one half the federal poverty line figure.

For individuals the "deep poverty" threshold was an income under 5,080 dollars a year.

"The McClatchy analysis found that the number of severely poor Americans grew by 26 percent from 2000 to 2005," the US newspaper chain reported.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 15 / -29

The great divide gets greater, never ceases to amaze me how little has trickled down and the arguments agains increasing the minimum wage. Know lots of folks who are considered middle class who are really struggling with the high cost of energy, etc. OTOH take a ride by any shoreline community and the building of big footprint houses continues, in this economy the rich are getting richer. Have contended all along that the Iraq conflict, or whatever it is called, has not effected most of the decision & power brokers in this country. If their lifestyle was effected then there would be less "power" support for whatever we call what is going on in Iraq.

3. iguide

iguide Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would like to point out that there are many Christians and Jewish people that give generously to programs that benefit the poor and they certainly are not all in the elite economic class but are everyday middle economic class people. In additions just because someone is a Christian does not mean they are the religious right. You may have not have meant your statement to sound so broad but it did come off that way to me.

While I will agree that I am not a fan of trickle down economics I see as many or more problems with democratic social programs that support entitlements and do not empower people to improve their economic positions or desire to try and improve themselves personally, educationally or economically.

Just remember,,,,,,,,,,,, Democracy is the worst kind of government......... Except for all the rest.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

I'd love to know how many of these poor people actually bothered to finish high school and are actively trying to do something to help themselves - as opposed to sitting around on their asses blaming others. I'm not saying they all fit that description but just saying "there's more poor people" is woefully inadequate.

5. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How dumb can you be if you cant get a job making more than $9,900 a year? You can work part time at Stop & Shop and make more than that.

I too would be very interested in hearing the demographical info on these people.

Stay in school kids!

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +700 / 7 / -2

Give me a break with this crap PAtters. People are poor because they are lazy, dumb, and irresponsible. Sure, some truly have some troubling circumstances, but laziness and irresponsibility are key. Blaming religious people is an absolute joke. Some idiot who has multiple children out of wedlock, or gets knocked up by multiple men, has no one to blame but themselves. The welfare state is growing bud. We're under 5% unemployment, the only people who are making under $9k a year are the people who choose to. I'm tired of paying for lazy, irresponsible people. If you want more money to go to welfare, go get a second job, and donate your own time and money to the cause. I see what welfare is everyday. It's a total sham. Maybe 40% of the people who get subsidies actually deserve them, and that's giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Feb. 26, 2007, 8:08AM

Welfare state growing despite overhauls

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER Associated Press Writer
    © 2007 The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The welfare state is bigger than ever despite a decade of policies designed to wean poor people from public aid. The number of families receiving cash benefits from welfare has plummeted since the government imposed time limits on the payments a decade ago. But other programs for the poor, including Medicaid, food stamps and disability benefits, are bursting with new enrollees.

The result, according to an Associated Press analysis: Nearly one in six people rely on some form of public assistance, a larger share than at any time since the government started measuring two decades ago.

Critics of the welfare overhaul say the numbers offer fresh evidence that few former recipients have become self-sufficient, even though millions have moved from welfare to work. They say the vast majority have been forced into low-paying jobs without benefits and few opportunities to advance.

"If the goal of welfare reform was to get people off the welfare rolls, bravo," said Vivyan Adair, a former welfare recipient who is now an assistant professor of women's studies at Hamilton College in upstate New York. "If the goal was to reduce poverty and give people economic and job stability, it was not a success."

Proponents of the changes in welfare say programs that once discouraged work now offer support to people in low-paying jobs. They point to expanded eligibility rules for food stamps and Medicaid, the health insurance program for the poor, that enable people to keep getting benefits even after they start working.

In 2005, about 5.1 million people received monthly welfare payments from TANF and similar state programs, a 60 percent drop from a decade before.

But other government programs grew, offsetting the declines.

About 44 million people — nearly one in six in the country — relied on government services for the poor in 2003, according to the most recent statistics compiled by the Census Bureau. That compares with about 39 million in 1996.

Also, the number of people getting government aid continues to increase, according to more recent enrollment figures from individual programs.

Medicaid rolls alone topped 45 million people in 2005, pushed up in part by rising health care costs and fewer employers offering benefits. Nearly 26 million people a month received food stamps that year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4581765.html

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +316 / 9 / -13

For conservatives reducing poverty is best accomplished by growing the economy as much as possible, this can be done most effectivly by reducing taxes that slow economic growth.

For the conservatives don't care rant. Conservatives would love to see everyone be rich, why? more taxpayers and fewer tax consumers. So for reasons of self interest Conservatives would love to see everyone on welfare and in poverty succeed.

;)

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 15 / -14

People are poor for a variety of reasons. In some cases, they are simply not very smart. In other cases, they are caring for someone else--a child or an elderly adult and can't afford to work full-time. In other cases, they suffer from some sort of limiting mental or physical illness. In still other cases, they are unlucky (victims of a hurricane, a scam, or bad judgment).

These people need to be helped. That help might include education, day care, mass transit, higher minimum wage, etc., but whatever it includes, it's the responsibility of a caring society to help these people live productive lives and earn enough to live above poverty and hopefully be motivated to earn more.

Now we come to the other group, who some of you are focused on: the lazy bums. They should be divided into two groups: lazy bums who are parents and lazy bums who are not. We need to come up with a solution for the group who are parents. In some cases, welfare and foster care are solutions, but still we need to find ways to help their kids.

Then we have the lazy bums who are not parents. I have no objection to keeping them at a subsistence level. The main focus with them should be to help them fight the underlying cause, such as addiction. But, otherwise, if they want to live in extreme poverty, let them. Just give them enough to discourage them from becoming social problems, such as by turning to crime.

The conservative approach to poverty is to boost the economy and hope that the benefits trickle down. Obviously, given our poverty rate, that has not worked.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +700 / 7 / -2

If you want to help people Patters, get a second job, and donate your extra income. Either that, or volunteer your time. Don't demand that the rest of the working, tax paying public pay more than they already do for irresponsible. The problem with welfare is that most people only know about through an article they've read. Like you, I pittied people before I began working directly with subsidized housing. Now that I've managed property directly for the last 7-8 years, my attitude has changed. We certainly need the programs, but we deffinately do not need more. We're lucky if we're getting a 40% return on expenditures.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +857 / 2 / -9

Maybe some of these "poor people" could be helped in Massachsetts by the new Governor and his people, they could start by using the money that was intended to buy "Worms" and turning that money over to a few "really poor" people that are unable to provide for themselves, the Governor could also drive a Chevy instead of a Caddilac and he could also only fly on a Helicopter when it was absolutely neccessary.

That would be a wonderful contribution by the new wonderful Governor.
    Give The "WORM MONEY" to the poor people and then let the democrats and knee jerk liberals DONATE Worms to the Governor.

Send Your Worms To The State House c/o The Governor.
    :bricks:

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Education - most of these people already passed up their chance at free education.
    Daycare - if they can't afford to live why are they having kids ?
    Mass Transit - last I checked we already have that especially in inner cities where most of the poor live.
    Higher Minimum Wage - results in less jobs for the poor.

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +563 / 15 / -29

Have you ever walked into an affluent public high school ?? Have you ever walked into a poor public high school?? There is a difference, not withstanding many other factors the playing field is not equal.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Excuses. Are you telling me that you can't pass high school in an inner city ? I'm not saying that they're "the same" but I have no sympathy - NONE - for some kid who drops out of high school. Maybe his education coming out of high school would be lesser than that of a true college prep high school but that's irrelevant to sticking it out in high school to completion.

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +857 / 2 / -9

Walk into a poor public high school and you better bring your gun with you.

15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +316 / 9 / -13

Why do you think that the ciost spent per pupil in many poor districts is higher than in 'rich' districts (Hint look at the size of the Education bureaucracy).

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

I'm not even talking about getting a kick ass college prep education anyway - just graduating. That's it. I'd love to see the relationship between these poverty numbers and high school graduation.

17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +563 / 15 / -29

I guess you have not walked into both.. not making excuses, but there is a huge difference. Some do very well from poor public high schools, but most do not. Conversely, the suburbs have their shares of freeloaders.. but the playing field is not level.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Better tell all the Latin Americans, Chinese, and all others who are risking their lives to sneak across the border to get in. How can America's population continue to soar when the birth rate is *declining* as it has for the past 30 years???

If there is a rise in poverty, then lower the inflation-creating artificial minimum wage.

//

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +631 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

All I want to know is :

The percentage of those who go to poor public high schools who graduate and do "OK.

The percentage of those who go to poor public high schools who don't graduate and do "OK".

I'm not trying to argue that educations are equal - I happen to believe the opportunity is there but that's not what my argument is - I simply want to know if anyone has any more data than this extrememely high level data that Patters presented.

20. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe the government needs to throw large sums of unnaccountable money at this problem and hope it goes away.