Welcome to PatsFans.com

In this thread, we talk about the media's pro-war bias

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Titus Pullo, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd like this thread to be a catch-all for talking about the corporate media's coverage leading up to military conflict... most especially the current drama unfolding with Iran.

The "liberal media"... riiiiiiiiiiight.

As a primer, we'll start with this video summing up the Iran coverage of late, which increasingly continues to resemble the same surface logic nonsense that we witnessed before Iraq:

US mainstream media: Beating war drums?
    US mainstream media: Beating war drums? — RT

My first challenge to anyone:

If it is indeed the media's responsibility to tell both/all sides of the story, how come we never see peace advocates on any of the major networks given the same amount of time that retired generals and fascist *******s like John Bolton get? You never see them. Where is the balanced coverage from a fourth estate that steers dialogue towards red-meat talking points that ramp up the anxiety and fear? When does a network (even one like MSNBC) have an analyst or advocate on that reminds the people that the IAEA says the exact opposite of what RW think tanks continue to insist regarding Iran? Or merely reminds America that the U.S. can not afford another war, neither financially nor in terms of man-power?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

from the video:

"it seems that the words 'political solution' don't belong in the U.S. media vocabulary... two main reasons: 1) BORING!, and 2) some very powerful people are behind a kind of trigger-happy, pro-war journalism.. too many times in history the media did the bidding of war profiteers." ​
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Never thought about them being pro war, but they are definitely not anti war.

Concern for lack of coverage for the callous loss of life either for our young men and women, or for the high counts of "collateral damage" inflicted by modern warfare.

Do not ever recount an article that clearly outlines the effects of modern warfare on civilians, we do not see the results of drone attacks and were not allowed to see the civilian carnage in Iraq...

There was no galvanizing picture like the one in Viet Nam where the naked little girl was running down the street after being burned by Napalm..

Have a great deal of difficulty in reconciling the message of what seems to be a burgeoning pro life movement in today's day and age, but silence on this issue.

Perhaps it is like an adult version "Peek a Boo" (object consistency), if we do not see it, it does not exist.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

In my observation they have all been pro-war and have been since 9/11. The media wants war because it drives ratings. I gave up cable news a while ago and have been better off because of it.
  5. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I still give them networks a passing glance when there's time to kill, just to keep a finger on the pulse of the mainstream bull****... it's all pretty formulaic, but it's important to keep abreast on what the herd is being force fed. ... stuff that is mostly for corporate benefit, and for soothing consumer confidence. You can smell the horse**** a mile away.

But for most of my video news, I turn to European sources. I'm a bit more forgiving of U.S. print journalism, but not much. DemocracyNow! headlines are 15 minutes each weekday that are imperative.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 1 / -9

War Is News they like war just like they like Murder, Deadly Fires, Shootouts and Serial Killers, Katie Couric and Bryant Gombell were both having Orgasms on the morning of 9/11.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +204 / 3 / -10

I think we need to take a large portion of the blame for media war coverage. As long as we "tune-in and turn-on" our televisions and internet to help them all sell advertising, we can't really blame "them", can we?

100% of media is profit-driven...always has been and always will be. I guess if you compare our media to those in communists (I hate that word!) nations, we're doing ok.

Definately need vast improvement and it must be driven by "consumers" of media...and that means us.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +156 / 2 / -2

can certainly blame them when they fail to demonstrate journalistic integrity -- they are supposed to adhere to certain standards, not simply follow the dollar
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +360 / 1 / -9

I had the misfortune to deal with the dirty bastards a few years ago, they tried to climb through my bedroom windows and when I did let them imterview me they distorted, lied and twisted the whole story, they are far worse than even the filthy politicians.

They love, Riots, Floods, Earthquakes and Mass Murder, I would like nothing better than to smash Shepard Smith in the face with a shovel.
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +204 / 3 / -10

What a business is "supposed" to do is irrelevant when most media co's are public corporations. The #1 obligation of ALL public corp is to their shareholders.

I am not naive enough to think media co's first obligation is their ethical obligation. Media is a business. Do you really think their #1 priority is an ethical obligation even if that means they'll go out of business?

If you do, good luck Chico!

Again, I think it is OUR responsibility to keep our media honest. We are the only ones who can change the way they do business.
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

Pretty easy to understand, really. Just follow the money.
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Pro war after 9-11, anto war when dems turned against the war, pro war when Obama elected.
  13. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

Yeah. That makes a lot of sense. Totally.
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Yeah it does, Cindy Sheehan and M Moore say hi.
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

I'm sure there's someone, somewhere who knows what the heck you're talking about, but it sure ain't me.
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Many Dems have been against wars prior to 9-11 and have been consistent in their beliefs ever since... some of the fervor has reemerged with the OWS movement..

Do not understand why a mod wants to continually violate the rules by hijacking a thread with sometype of nonsensical comment..
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

When corporations like GE, manufacturers of military aircraft engines, own NBC, where do you think the information is going to be filtered? FOX makes movies that glorify war. All this lateral corporate cross-ownership muddles the picture of who is profiting and how, but the truth is the corporations profit from human blood and death. It's how CNN was the chief cheerleader of the Iraq Wars.

And now we have the personification of corporations with the recent definitions by the Supreme Court. There's nothinig short of a Constitutional Ammendment that can save us from perpetual corporate wars. Even if we're not fighting them ourselves, we'll be paying for weapons development and sales to proxy nations forever, as long as these pigs are allowed to continue their sub-human ventures behind the shield of the First Ammendment.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

There's a mod? Really?
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +156 / 2 / -2

I'm referring to the employees at any media corporation who call themselves journalists.

If you call yourself a journalist, there are ethical standards you are supposed to abide by.

The CEO, on the other hand, is a businessman rather than a journalist, and the CEO has a responsibility to the owners.

I expect a CEO to try to sell. I expect a journalist to report the truth.

If a journalist fails to report with integrity, that's on the journalist -- it's not on you or me.
  20. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +204 / 3 / -10

If you believe the media/news industry is somehow "special", then I think that's where you're wrong. All employees of every corporation must adhere to corp. objectives. It would be nice if journalists felt some "higher-calling", but they really don't...not if they're employed by a public corporation.

Now the real journalists that you're referring to can only exist independently in todays media. But very few have the courage or the means to conduct their work independently.

Look, a journalist may start out reporting with the integrity you're referring to, but if the editors and/or producers don't publish their work, they're gone pretty quickly. All of the decision makers are aligned with corporate objectives because they want to remain employed.

That's not the way it's supposed to work, but it truly is the reality of media/journalism today. So if you or I want it to change, then we need to stop watching/reading what they produce....we are ultimately the only ones who can force change.

But I wouldn't hold your breath.

P.S. Why do you think our gov't and media like to slant economic news in a positive light? Gotta keep those share values up Chico....