PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In this thread, I spread some wisdom and eat some crow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote - "IMO, I thought Cassel had a decent game for what he was being asked to do"

Huh? I thought he was being asked to win the game, nothing less or more. If winning was his task he had a dismal game, not decent. You're right he's not Tom Brady - Cassel has feet of clay in the pocket compared to Brady to start with - but offering that he was abandoned by the rest of the team hardly lets Cassel off the hook.

If the 'Fins were any better they should have had at least two more picks, in addition to the one canceled out by the roughing penalty. Cassel, not the rest of the team, threw those balls.

Cassel totaled 130yds! Against one of the worst D's in the league! That's an "efficient" game? Are you serious?

Get off the kool aid my friend, Cassel stunk, just like the rest of team.

If Cassel was being asked to WIN THE GAME, don't you think he would have attempted more passes over 20 yards. What Tom Brady did last year was expected out of him. He was there to win the game for us. It is pretty obvious that Cassel isn't expected to win the game for us quite yet. Nice try, though.

Because most here are completely over the top when they say something badly. You say you don't care about stats but how can you look at them then blame the entire game on Cassel? The stats are there. They show that, while he didn't have a great game, he had an efficient one for a quarterback who has rode the pine since 1999.

So you quote me as saying how bad everyone else played. And then say I "blame the entire game on Cassel."

I obviously don't think he played well this week. You obviously think he did. It is best that we agree to disagree.

If Cassel was being asked to WIN THE GAME, don't you think he would have attempted more passes over 20 yards. What Tom Brady did last year was expected out of him. He was there to win the game for us. It is pretty obvious that Cassel isn't expected to win the game for us quite yet. Nice try, though.

Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about. Winning is the point, no? When BB says Cassel "manages" the game, he certainly doesn't mean manage to lose! Just last week BB himself said you don't ask a QB "not to lose," and that a some point every player including the QB had to make some "plays," more plays than the other team if you hope to win.

Cassel threw 35 times, we ran the ball 20 times; who is BB asking to make plays with those numbers?

You make my point for me when you mention that Cassel didn't attempt more 20+ yard passes - he didn't try more because he's has trouble getting them done sucessfully and they know it.

ButtBoy, is this the first year you're watching football? It's clear you don't understand what is meant by a coach not asking his backup QB to win a game. To those of us with a clue it's really very uncomplicated. If I thought you could comprehend it, I would explain it to you.

ButtBoy, is this the first year you're watching football? It's clear you don't understand what is meant by a coach not asking his backup QB to win a game. To those of us with a clue it's really very uncomplicated. If I thought you could comprehend it, I would explain it to you.

According to his join date, he's been watching football for at least three years.

Nothing like a little condescension to make you feel like you know what you are talking about, eh?

You guys have it all backwards, sorry. The first thing every professional coach expects of his players is to win. Nothing much else matters, or did I miss the fact that TB himself said that winning the SB is what the NFL is all about, the rest is fluff.

Whether the game calls for 5 passes or 50, BB expects Cassel to make enough plays to win, not to just stay out of trouble. BB said this exact thing last week - maybe you missed it. You can't count on needing to score 15 points or 45, you have to be prepared to do what it takes to win, period. How many times have you heard BB say players just need to do their job? That job changes as any game moves along - halftime 'adjustments' for example.

Under your suggestion Brady was asked to win every game on his own last year. I guess the defense and special teams didn't need to show up, just ask BB, I'm sure that's what he'd say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye