Welcome to PatsFans.com

In the Year 2012....

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Drewski, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

[​IMG]

While I guess this thread could be started as a poll, I wanted to avoid that so that any potential response wouldn't be limited by a handful of choices.

Of late, I have seen what I would call internet balls (sorta like beer balls, but your keyboard replaces your cold beverage of choice) around here when the topic of who is going to win the election in 7 or so weeks. The Obama supporters are almost certain he will win reelection while their counterparts who support Romney are almost certain Obama's days are number.

Beyond the internet balls phenomena, we obviously have a very passionate poster base, many of the most passionate posters subscribe to one side of thought or the other (with a tiny sliver of people in the middle).

My hypothetical to the board is this:

In the year 2012...imagine you partied too hard at your [enter candidate of choice] election party on the night of
    November 6th and you ended up passing out. You wake up in the morning, surprisingly hangover free, and flip on the tube to find that the candidate/party you passionately support didn't win. Given the backdrop; the passion seen here on the board, the certainty of the outcome, and the divided-ness of country at large, what are you feeling?

Are you sad and upset? Angry? Do you hold a level of contempt for those voters who voted and helped the candidate you were so sure was going to win, not win?

I realize this is kinda silly, and since there really is no topic of this thread other than a hypothetical, it could easily get OT. But I am interested in hearing what people would think if the candidate they were so sure was going to win ended up losing.

As the person opening this thread, I figure I should at least give my opinion. Granted I don't support either party completely, but support both on some issues, so I will share a quick thought on what I would be feeling on November 7th.

My thoughts if Obama won:
    As a previous Obama voter who has become disillusioned with his performance, I am sadden that at a time we as a country need true leadership, we will get 4 more years of very little leadership. He hasn't really done anything near what I thought he would as the candidate of hope and change through 4 years, but maybe in 8 he would. Nor has he owned much of anything in his first term. The buck stops with him and I think if he owned up to his shortcomings (which all humans have) he could regain some of the level of expectations he set out with in 2008.

I am troubled by the level of spending and "crony capitalism" he has as part of how he does things; certainly not unique to him, W had both of them too, but I feel like after 12 years of shopping til we drop, we are closer to dropping than almost anytime in our history.

My thoughts if Romney won:
    I personally feel that Romney is one of the worst candidates running for the office we have had recently, but that doesn't mean he would be horrible POTUS. I don't mind that he is rich and as long as he is paying what the government says is his share, I don't care that he pays 13%.

I do care that he seemingly wants to double down on this continued phase of war we are in, and wants to keep military spending as a huge portion of the Federal Budget which I am vehemently against; especially at a time when we could use those federal duckets at home fixing up infrastructure and potentially finding a true replacement for fossil fuels.

I would be sad if he went after woman's rights issues because I expect a certain level of "minding your own business" from my government, but I don't honestly know that he would. Pissing off 50% of population seems like a fools errand and one that finger in the wind Mittens wouldn't probably do.

Basically I would be sad with either outcome.

Anyway, maybe some posters will want to post their hypothetical thoughts on the "Morning After". And maybe no one will, and this thread will be dropped like a rock.

Thanks for the time.

D
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

The morning after for me:

"well, thats that"
  3. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

it doesn't matter who wins, america thinks they're **** don't stink, they don't give a ****

i could care less who wins , because i know nothing will ever really change....unless the entire US gets a lobotomy over night
  4. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Where are you from JC? Not that it matters, just trying to gain some perspective.
  5. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -9

#87 Jersey

Well all I can say is Mitt would be a better president than a candidate.
    and we all know Obama is such superior candidate he has incorporated 4/5ths of the media as part of his campaign staff and is in the running for the worst president in the countries history.
    Obamacare =the price of everything just went up.
    4$ a gallon gas= the price of everything has gone up.
    Personal wealth down 40%
    Income and wages down.
    And the country wants 4 more years of this? They can have it. They'll get what they asked for. I hope it bites them in the ass. And it will.
    The one thing if Obama wins is that the disaster he leaves behind after 8 years the teflon will even wear off with the media.And the incompetent fraud will finally have know one left to blame.And the country like Obama will be an empty shell.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I will come back and answer your question in a bit....must get tea, feed cats, do last night's dishes....but I did want to ask a quick question.

Did you write the above before or after hearing Romney's fundraiser speech and his hastily called late night response where he stated it "was not his job" to care about 47% of all Americans?
  7. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

A valid question Mrs. I was speaking specifically to women - ie I dont really ever see a POTUS truly going after Roe v. Wade, because I think it is political suicide.

EDIT - And I do agree that stating you don't care (either poor words chosen if said, or a flaw in mentality IMHO) about half of American's is not a positive POV for someone who will represent 100% of Americans.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

As is going after the aged - and a large part of his "uncared for" 47% of Americans are just that - aged....Most aged women, as a matter of fact.

I think it's too late to worry about him ticking off woman, anyhow. He doesn't have to wait to be president to do that - he's already done so. It's not just Roe v Wade - in fact, that's only a small part of it. It's defunding Planned Parenthood (which has little to do with abortion for most of the women who use it and everything to do with cancer screenings, breast exams and family planning) and not supporting the "Violence Against Women" bill. It's forced ultrasounds and choosing a VP who wants to redefine rape. It's him not knowing if he supports the Lily Ledbetter Act or not.

Gone off topic.....sorry.
  9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I wake up after the election party hangover (still drunk) and go right back to finishing off the end-of-the-world shelter. It should be pretty much done by then so I'd probably be stocking it with guitar strings, gunpowder and ham hocks and , of course, my silver and gold.

Santa help us all!
  10. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Very possible. I know my wife, her sister and my mom in law are scared to death by Romney - although my wife is the only one who thinks Obama leaves a ton to be desired.

No apology needed :) is there really a topic? I asked people to imagine the day after. That could be any number of "topics"
  11. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I love the sarcasm Wista....or in the case you are being serious, can I bring my brood to your shelter when the grid comes down?

:)
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't, if I were you. That is unless you want to get sprayed with buckshot or fall into one of my Burmese tiger traps. You're welcome to try. This is life and death, my friend!
  13. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have a wager with JackBauer that if Obama wins, I'll leave the board. I think that sums up my response ... I don't have it in me to keep arguing if we can't replace the moron-in-chief.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Drewski....after reading your opening post, I came to the concusion that we're pretty much of the same mindset.

Whomever wins any US election, the "winners" are always and without exception, ALL AMERICANS. Sad that many don't see that basic undeniable truth.

I will feel let down no matter who wins because neither one deserves to be our president. Neither have the courage nor the principles to serve as POTUS.

End of story....
  16. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I see that if I head NW I will have to employee my ninja skills :)
  17. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Agreed PR. I think the system - by and large - needs status quo candidates to keep it fed if you will. And while there are certainly platform differences between the two parties, at the end of the day, no real change will really take place (and there aren't than many to begin with between em, functionally speaking).

Change, like more than 2 parties, is bad for business, and the amount of power and money in the system means there is no room for change. And I'm not talking about "Hope and Change" I am talking about a paradigm shift in how business in DC is done.

Titus talks about "infinite growth" and how that is an underlying issue behind many of our issues. I actually agree and feel that IDing that, then coming up with policies with that as a built in assumption are what we need. Both Obama and Romney have policies formed from a "infinite growth is possible" perspective, because they really aren't different than many stances we have had from other POTUS'.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

Both parties are front-men for corp America. And corp America wants to milk the "infinite growth" assumption dry before they'll give up.

Is that the right direction for American citizens? Nope! But that doesn't matter...what is best for "us" isn't up to us...it's up to "them".
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Pfffft!
    Ninja skills...yah right!
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Try something new, what we have now has done NOTHING so if you try something new all you have to lose is NOTHING.

Obama had his shot and he has failed.

ANYBODY BUT OBAMA
    SOMETHING NEW IS NEEDED

Where is Al (boob) Gore, he must look at Obama and say "jesus, I lost and they elected that guy"

:bricks:
    "my name is harry and i approve this message"