Welcome to PatsFans.com

In Saudi Arabia, a view from behind the veil

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 7, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Interesting read from a reporter from the LA Times, Megan Stack was the bureau chief in Saudi Arabia.. she wore the "abaya".. good read about one of our ally nations..

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-women6jun06,0,7723344,print.story

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia — THE hem of my heavy Islamic cloak trailed over floors that glistened like ice. I walked faster, my eyes fixed on a familiar, green icon. I hadn't seen a Starbucks in months, but there it was, tucked into a corner of a fancy shopping mall in the Saudi capital. After all those bitter little cups of sludgy Arabic coffee, here at last was an improbable snippet of home — caffeinated, comforting, American.

I wandered into the shop, filling my lungs with the rich wafts of coffee. The man behind the counter gave me a bemused look; his eyes flickered. I asked for a latte. He shrugged, the milk steamer whined, and he handed over the brimming paper cup. I turned my back on his uneasy face.

Crossing the cafe, I felt the hard stares of Saudi men. A few of them stopped talking as I walked by and watched me pass. Them, too, I ignored. Finally, coffee in hand, I sank into the sumptuous lap of an overstuffed armchair.

"Excuse me," hissed the voice in my ear. "You can't sit here." The man from the counter had appeared at my elbow. He was glaring.

"Excuse me?" I blinked a few times.

"Emmm," he drew his discomfort into a long syllable, his brows knitted. "You cannot stay here."

"What? Uh … why?"

Then he said it: "Men only."

He didn't tell me what I would learn later: Starbucks had another, unmarked door around back that led to a smaller espresso bar, and a handful of tables smothered by curtains. That was the "family" section. As a woman, that's where I belonged. I had no right to mix with male customers or sit in plain view of passing shoppers. Like the segregated South of a bygone United States, today's Saudi Arabia shunts half the population into separate, inferior and usually invisible spaces.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Good post, I'm surprised our "Diversity Human Rights Liberals" here in America aren't more interested in this, it goes on all over the Muslim World, they treat their Donkey's better than they do their women.

The Feminist Movement (NOW) here in America also are very silent on it, but of course they showed no interest in the abuse of the Clinton Victims either.

I wonder what the Liberal Slobberers would have to say if "Methodists, Mormons and Presbytarians" made their women Ride In The Back Seat?
  3. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I can't pretend to understand their culture, so I won't judge it.

From what I understand they separate women out of respect (in their minds). Much of their culture is based on how they treat women with respect. It's a different point of view, but we can't expect everyone to think like we do.
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Gotta hand it to you, thats a good one.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Good one, I thought you were serious for a moment. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 4 / -2

This illustrates the differences between cultures. The questions such differences raise is what matters now more than ever. Should we pressure nations like these to provide equal rights to all, or do we STFU and mind our own business? If we choose the latter, do we continue to do business with them in knowing that our money will be used to support such inequality? What role to we play, if we play one at all?
  7. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Actually I was completely serious. Maybe I'm not sure how statements are read in the political forum yet, but I wasn't trying to be humorous at all.

:confused:
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +301 / 4 / -2

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

Imagine how hot those black sheets and hoods are in the summer.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Cannot even begin to comprehend this, imagine wearing this and then not have hot water to take a shower.. yuk!!! Let's make love you handsome bearded man...
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +301 / 4 / -2

Harry if they wore white sheets and hoods, some people might.....nevermind. :eek: