PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In retrospect of Troy Browns' career...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
...How much do you think he would be worth if a GM new he was going to get all he's accomplished?

363839 said:
...How much do you think he would be worth if a GM new he was going to get all he's accomplished?

I don't no. (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

JoeSixPat said:
Knine million a year.

....with a $363,839 signing bonus.

It's just that I always thought Troy was way under paid because he was an 8th round pick. But he always stuck with the team and frequently made huge plays for us.
While a**holes like Ryan Leaf get paid huge sums so they can act like prima donnas and never achieve a damn thing on the field.
I guess I'm just a little bitter for Troy. It seems unjust to me.

363839 said:
It's just that I always thought Troy was way under paid because he was an 8th round pick. But he always stuck with the team and frequently made huge plays for us.
While a**holes like Ryan Leaf get paid huge sums so they can act like prima donnas and never achieve a damn thing on the field.
I dont think its unjust.
Brown was paid like a backup WR and special teamer up until he actually became a starter in 2000. By 2002, he starting becoming injured and by 2003-2004 was really back to being a backup.
I think he has been paid fairly, I guess the only contract that would have been unfair in retrospect would be the one he signed just before becoming a starter.
I think Brown has contributed a lot of things that a typical Wr doesnt. STs play, not just returns either, filling in on D in a pinch. But really his days as a top WR were very limited. Great contributor to what the Pats accomplished, but not a guy you look at and say he was underpaid, IMO.

i know money takes on a different meaning depending if your a pro athlete or just a regular person, there isnt a single bad contract in all of the NFL. Whats the base salary nowadays? Half a million for a career bench warmer?

363839 said:

I've often said that the NFL should create a Troy Brown exemption, to allow them to offer an "unsung hero" exemption or other bonus for selfless players like Troy who play any position asked of them, and create a great role model for other players.

In my mind the exemption would allow each team to designate a player with say, a minimum of 8 - 10 years in the league to fill a 54th roster spot and have the veteran minimum salary portion of their salary not count against the cap

That would allow character guys like Troy to remain with a team even after their football skills begin to errode.

In terms of Troy getting his worth - Troy was on the open market last year and it doesn't seem his offers were that much more than the veteran minimum. So in a football sense he's getting what he's worth - but his intangibles as we know are invaluable.

The only time one could truly say Troy was underpaid were the 2001/2002 seasons when he was the defacto #1 WR and had 100 receptions.

But of course, that didn't mean Troy should have been given a multi-year #1 WR contract at that time... just because someone puts up #1 WR numbers for a season doesn't mean they are a #1 WR. This is what some people seem to forget when they are looking at Branch's contract negotiations.

JoeSixPat said:
I've often said that the NFL should create a Troy Brown exemption, to allow them to offer an "unsung hero" exemption or other bonus for selfless players like Troy who play any position asked of them, and create a great role model for other players.

In my mind the exemption would allow each team to designate a player with say, a minimum of 8 - 10 years in the league to fill a 54th roster spot and have the veteran minimum salary portion of their salary not count against the cap

That would allow character guys like Troy to remain with a team even after their football skills begin to errode.

That just may be the best creative idea for the NFL I've heard, Joe. On so many levels that would be a win-win situation; for the league, the fans, the teams, the marketing departments.

You should seriously send that idea to the league offices.

363839 said:
Well, that's part of the sports world.... you will always have your overpaid primma donnas, and just as many underpaid overachievers. I'll take a team of 53 Troy Browns over a team of 53 Ryan Leafs any day of the week though :)

AndyJohnson said:
I dont think its unjust.
Brown was paid like a backup WR and special teamer up until he actually became a starter in 2000. By 2002, he starting becoming injured and by 2003-2004 was really back to being a backup.
I think he has been paid fairly, I guess the only contract that would have been unfair in retrospect would be the one he signed just before becoming a starter.
I think Brown has contributed a lot of things that a typical Wr doesnt. STs play, not just returns either, filling in on D in a pinch. But really his days as a top WR were very limited. Great contributor to what the Pats accomplished, but not a guy you look at and say he was underpaid, IMO.

Great contributer? Try: UNFRICKIN' BELEIVABLY GREAT CONTRIBUTER!! If it weren't for Troy's heroics the 2001 SB Lombardi would be elsewhere. He made crucial, clutch plays which directly effected the Pats winning their second SB. He sacrificed personal stats to shore up a depleted secondary - played wr, st and nickle which helped the Pats win the third SB.

Please....Great Contributer? Try: UNFRICKIN' BELEIVABLY GREAT CONTRIBUTER!!

AndyJohnson said:
I dont think its unjust.

This year T. Brown will most likely become N.E.'s all time WR in catches. I believe he is only around 31 catches off the mark. That in addition to staying in N.E. for less than what he could have gotten else were? IMHO is has been under payed.

JoeSixPat said:

In terms of Troy getting his worth - Troy was on the open market last year and it doesn't seem his offers were that much more than the veteran minimum. So in a football sense he's getting what he's worth - but his intangibles as we know are invaluable.

The only time one could truly say Troy was underpaid were the 2001/2002 seasons when he was the defacto #1 WR and had 100 receptions.

But of course, that didn't mean Troy should have been given a multi-year #1 WR contract at that time... just because someone puts up #1 WR numbers for a season doesn't mean they are a #1 WR. This is what some people seem to forget when they are looking at Branch's contract negotiations.

This has been brought up quite a few times in the past. Most recently by Bill Simmons on espn.com in response to Willie leaving. It would allow players like Jerry Rice or Junior Seau to retire with the team that drafted them and avoid situations where owners are forced to cut hometowm heroes because they earn too much money. i think anyone that plays consistently for the same team over a 8-10 year period deserves as much. I can't believe that the player's union or the owners failed to include this in the latest CBA negotiations.

One other point is that the league does reward players who earn more playing time than their draft status would suggest. Not surprisingly Patriots players consistently earn these bonuses. In the last few years Dan Koppen, Ellis Hobbs and Nick Kazcur have earned tens of thousands of dollars in playing time bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Displaced - Fan said:
This year T. Brown will most likely become N.E.'s all time WR in catches. I believe he is only around 31 catches off the mark. That in addition to staying in N.E. for less than what he could have gotten else were? IMHO is has been under payed.

Morgan had 534 receptions. Brown is at 514 right now.

Of course, Stanley recorded over 10,000 yards

JoeSixPat said:

That's a great idea, Joe. It would cover other players that have experienced the screw job the hype machine has done to them.
This is an idea that should be implemented.

Though, the point of your last paragraph is well taken.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey