PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In other news: Jabar Gaffney signed a 2 year deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason why I do not see the Randy Moss acquisition.. this guy is signed for a couple of years, Gabriel for 2 or 3, Jackson for 4.

Interesting. He's said to be a smart guy and quick learner, hopefully he made good use of the bye week.

Not that this means anything now but it's funny looking back at my 2002 Pro Football Weekly draft guide and looking at the WR seeing Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney both ranked ahead of Deion Branch and way ahead of David Givens. funny they were all in that same draft.

Might as well wrap him up for two years before we turn him into the next David Givens.......or not! :D

I still just have no idea about this guy's potential. Belichick must see some hope in him.

Last edited:
GJAJ15 said:
Another reason why I do not see the Randy Moss acquisition.. this guy is signed for a couple of years, Gabriel for 2 or 3, Jackson for 4.
Gabriel, Caldwell, Gaffney are all signed through 2007 and Jackson through 2009.

There's a reasonable amount of talent there, hopefully two of them can take a legit step forward this coming week.

Not much risk with that contract. Maybe he was injured during the Eagles training camp? That was the reason we were able to pick up Hawk mid-season last year. I have never been a big fan of Gaffney (had him on one of my fantasy teams and he sucked) but maybe with Brady throwing to him he can show his talent. It has to be better than having David "I am running for my life" Carr throwing to you.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Might as well wrap him up for two years before we turn him into the next David Givens.......or not! :D

I still just have no idea about this guy's potential. Belichick must see some hope in him.

He has averaged more catches per year than Jerry Porter, so He's not all "potential".

SeanBruschi54 said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Unusual for an almost midseason pick up to get a two year deal.

Jabar Gaffney:
2006: $585,000
2007: $595,000

Thats an incredible deal even if he doesnt turn into anything big for us.

None of the 2nd year guaranteed no doubt - so its effectively a one year deal with a cheap option for the Pats, who can cut him with no cap impact.

GJAJ15 said:

I hope he proves every other team in the NFL - including some really really bad teams who could have used a good WR, all of whom passed on Gaffney for week after week after week after week after week - wrong.

But for all the above reasons let's not get our hopes too high about him. In any event, he's not the speedy deep threat that is apparently causing the Pats to seriously consider Randy Moss.

I think he's a pretty good, quick route running, possession receiver who "stretches the field" all of 8.9 yards on average... that's 5 yards less than Ben Watson's 13.6 average... who is currently our best "deep threat"

Last edited:
Hasn't Gaffney caught more balls than Givens? Considering who his quarterback was, that's pretty impressive. I mean, relatively.

JoeSixPat said:
None of the 2nd year guaranteed no doubt - so its effectively a one year deal with a cheap option for the Pats, who can cut him with no cap impact.
Yes. With (presumably) no signing bonus this is totally to the Patriots advantage (they have a free option on next year with no commitment to pay him). So there isn't much that can be read into a "2 year deal" as meaning anything about expectations.

David Givens: 4 years with Brady (7th rounder)

166 receptions
2318 yards
14 yard average a reception
12 TD's

Jabar Gaffney: 4 years with David Carr (note was a HIGH 2nd round pick)

171 receptions
2009 yards
11.7 yards a reception
7 TD's

(for good measure)
Reche Caldwell: 4 years of Mainly Brees (also a second rounder)

76 receptions
1068 yards
12.4 yards a reception
7 TD's

Hopefully Gaffney will be able to produce well for us. Given the suspect calibre of WR's now on the team I suspect he'll be given every chance to produce.

SeanBruschi54 said:
David Givens: 4 years with Brady (7th rounder)

166 receptions
2318 yards
14 yard average a reception
12 TD's

Jabar Gaffney: 4 years with David Carr (note was a HIGH 2nd round pick)

171 receptions
2009 yards
11.7 yards a reception
7 TD's

(for good measure)
Reche Caldwell: 4 years of Mainly Brees (also a second rounder)

76 receptions
1068 yards
12.4 yards a reception
7 TD's

Is there a site that lists how many drops a receiver has? Because that is what I remember his problem being. I very well could be wrong and honestly I hope that I am.

Why did nobody else pick this guy up after the Eagles cut him?

Last edited:
PaulNEPats said:
Why did nobody else pick this guy up after the Eagles cut him?

Not sure. It could very well been an injury issue. After the Hawkins signing from last year I don't look down on mid season acquisitions. Oh and I can't forget our friend Hank.:D

arrellbee said:
Yes. With (presumably) no signing bonus this is totally to the Patriots advantage (they have a free option on next year with no commitment to pay him). So there isn't much that can be read into a "2 year deal" as meaning anything about expectations.

Right - I mean the Pats would have signed him for 5 years at a half a million a year if they could, all non-guaranteed.

Basically Gaffney and the Pats signed a win win deal - Gaffney, in order to be signed, offered to lock in for an additional year with no risk to the Patriots - at a salary low enough that they might actually decide to keep him on even if he only has average performance this season... i.e. - something's better than nothing, and nothing is what he had before he signed this deal

SeanBruschi54 said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Unusual for an almost midseason pick up to get a two year deal.

Jabar Gaffney:
2006: $585,000
2007: $595,000

Thats an incredible deal even if he doesnt turn into anything big for us.

How is that incredible?

The length of deals for street FAs are IRRELEVANT.

Those are also MINIMUM salaries for Gaffney's experience. There is NO SIGNING BONUS.

It's not incredible at all. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. The Pats can cut Gaffney tomorrow and whatever he was scheduled to earn this year or next is IRRELEVANT.

pats1 said:
How is that incredible?

The length of deals for street FAs are IRRELEVANT.

Those are also MINIMUM salaries for Gaffney's experience. There is NO SIGNING BONUS.

It's not incredible at all. NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. The Pats can cut Gaffney tomorrow and whatever he was scheduled to earn this year or next is IRRELEVANT.
I think the number of years a player is signed for is relevant. It means if he does well we are guaranteed his salary next year at a resasonable price. How can the number of years in a contract be irrelevant?

It certainly would have been relevant if Ted Washington had another year on his contract for the same salary. We wouldn't have lost him to an $8 mil signing bonus (or whatever it was).

Last edited:
brady2brown said:
I think the number of years a player is signed for is relevant. It means if he does well we are guaranteed his salary next year at a resasonable price. How can the number of years in a contract be irrelevant?

It certainly would have been relevant if Ted Washington had another year on his contract for the same salary. We wouldn't have lost him to an $8 mil signing bonus (or whatever it was).

You're correct in that sense, but what I'm trying to get at is, by signing him to a 2-year deal, the Pats aren't showing anymore commitment or promise or whatnot. The risk is equally none.

pats1 said:
You're correct in that sense, but what I'm trying to get at is, by signing him to a 2-year deal, the Pats aren't showing anymore commitment or promise or whatnot. The risk is equally none.
Oh, I get you. Rght, exactly. In fact, I sometimes wonder why they sign all these FA guys to one-year deals for small money and then fight with draftees for long contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back