PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In depth: Ellis Hobbs' Record Kickoff Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Play Unfolds

Here we see the outcome of the poor lane choices by the Jets backside. That's 4 different Jets (McCareins, Harris, Spencer, Smith) trying to run Ellis Hobbs down from behind the wedge. Only McCareins belongs there.

(...)

Larry Izzo is marked here as one of two frontline players (the other being Mel Mitchell) to successfully hold and finish their blocks on this play. Izzo prevents gunner Wallace Wright from following behind Brad Kassell playside and doing some damage.

A correction to these paragraphs. Izzo in fact blocked 16 Brad Smith, not 15 Wallace Wright. This means it's Wallace Wright who is out of position behind the wedge, not Smith. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes on film. Oddly enough I got the Smith/Wright distinction right twice in the first post.

I also realize I spelled Stacy Tutt's name as "Tutts" on about half the pics.

Last edited:
If you ask me the block Ben Watson made was among the most important, as it came just infront of Hobbs and if I remember correctly he ended up running through the area Ben cleared out for him?

Edit: I just rewatched the video and the block Ben Watson makes is the block that keeps two Jets defenders from tackling Hobbs. See, Hobbs was able to break the tackle of the other Jet defender but if not for Watson's block both Jet defenders would have hit Hobbs at the same time, and it's very unlikely he breaks the grasp of two defenders at once.

Watson makes a nice heads-up block on Rashad Washington, the playside kickoff safety, but his frontline blocking on Stacy Tutt left a little to be desired. Le Kevin Smith's block on Tutt blew that side of the field wide open, giving Hobbs space to cut up between Watson and David Bowens.

I never knew any of this stuff, not even the designations, nor the specific tasks.

And I played special teams in high school football (in a New England state, I will not mention where because I'm embarrassed). We had gunners, yes, but for the return side, we just established a wedge, and the other blockers picked our guy and had responsibility for him and only him. LOL.

Keep in mind I am no more privy to the New England and New York special teams schemes than you, this is just guesswork. Nomenclature, strategy and responsibilities vary wildly from coach to coach. I've been in schemes where busters are called spears, gunners are called spears, buster are called kamikazes, safeties are called linebackers, the frontline are called upbacks, the wedge is called the wall, the wall is called the seal, or the fence, and so forth. There are schemes where the coach just lines you up, 10 wide, and tells you to converge on the ball, and elaborate schemes involving all sorts of stacking, criss-crossing, responsibilities and reads.

One of the more interesting and obvious things to me about the Pats return was the TD block by Mitchell on the backside safety. I've never seen that before, and it's pretty clear on film. Most teams I've watched or played on leaves that safety alone and shifts one more blocker playside. The Pats seem to be going more for the home run ball than an extra 5 yards per runback.

P.S. It appears that there are interlacing artifacts in some of the images. Is there a way to use single fields instead of interlaced frames?

Nothing I can do, sorry. I think these are artifacts from the capturing process. Manually setting my video player (xine) to de-interlace did nothing.

Great great post.

Too bad I have to wade through 1000 hysterical posts and trolls to find it.

R

I wanted to look at this again and found it on page 12. Good God!

Bump

This is such excellent work, it deserves another BUMP (and a sticky, too, IMO, at least for a week or so).

Really excellent thread! One of the things that most impressed me about this return (aside from the obvious) was the speed of Willie Andrews to get back with the play. He seemed as fast as Hobbs! Great job by the Pats special teams and great job by unoriginal!

Simply outstanding, Thanks.

Just a belated thank you for a spectacular effort. I always feel ignorant about ST play, and announcers tend to treat kickoffs as filler they have to talk over. I learned a ton from this.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Something else that impressed me was how fast Willie Andrews caught up to Hobbs after being knocked to the ground. That kid has some wheels.

I just watched the video of this again . . . it's quite amusing watching Mike Nugent turtle over and brace for impact--especially after noticing he had enough time to just get out of Smith's way. :D

Here's to hoping The III breaks one for a TD every week, if for no other reason so that we can wrangle out another excellent video breakdown from you, man! Awesome stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes