Welcome to PatsFans.com

In defense of Reche

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Patriot Artist, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Patriot Artist

Patriot Artist Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I found myself defending Caldwell at the playoff telecast last night. His dropped passes were, shall we say, not well received by my buddies.

I defended the guy. Look at his GD face as he got back to the line. He knew he made those goofs. He has heart. He was hustling. Wanted to win. He was a key component to the Charger game. To our team.

Yes Reche Caldwell needs to make adjustments, but I am proud of his play and attitude.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  2. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I like him, but those gaffs were horrid. He can't make many more 'big game' mistakes like that and expect to be counted on by Tom Brady.
  3. artmis723

artmis723 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like Reche too, and I'm not one to write a player off completely due to a few goofs. Everyone makes mistakes (blah blah) and he has plenty of time to work on whatever he needs to work on. I'm not very eloquent with football language yet :D
  4. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The thing is, he dropped 2 VERY easy passes.
  5. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

He is a nice avg reciever, but he should of caught those 2 passes..
  6. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0

both reche and jabar catch the ball with using their bodies not hands...
  7. artmis723

artmis723 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I know. But I'm sure there are other examples of other players that have messed up in the same manner, or worse. God I wish I had a stellar knowledge of the NFL so I could make stronger points!

I don't know, I just see the potential there, regardless.
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Last night, I was MF'ing Reche hard at those to gaffs. Now that I had a {restless} night to mull it over, I've come to a certain peace. Not so much with this loss, that one will hurt a long time, but with Reche.

Here was a guy that we brought in to be a borderline #2. He was a castaway that we jammed into the #1 role on what was the most maligned WR corps in the whole league. In general, he was up to the task all year. Yeah, he dropped the ball {literally and figuratively} on a couple key plays.

What can you expect, he wasn't here to replace Peion, he was here to replace Givens, who dropped many a ball himself. Overall, looking at the big picture of 2006, Reche far outperformed my expectations of him when I heard we picked him up.

That said, we NEED serious WR help.
  9. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Reche's drops were inexcusable and I would not be surprised if they ultimately cost him his job. They clearly were a case of playoff jitters. You simply can't drop easy catches like that when everything is on the line.
  10. LiveShot

LiveShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -16

like he said
  11. PaulNEPats

PaulNEPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think we could all forgive 1 gimme drop, even in the playoffs. But 2 potential game changing drops are unforgivable.
  12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

By the same tolken, missing a wide open Heath Evans underneath instead of forcing it into a doubly-covered TE for a pick on the last drive should cost TB his?

Give me a break, yes...... they were stupid drops that should have been caught. If he was making 6M a year, I'd agree, no way you bring him back. Fact is, Reche is a #2 {at the very best}, or more likely a #3 guy. Just cuz we jammed him into the #1 spot all year, it doesn't mean we can expect his to act like one in every instance.

Not defending him, as it is my sincere hope that we actually go out and pick up a legitimate #1 on the off-season, but I'd not opject to having Reche back to fight for the #2 or #3 spot.

I'll give him a pass on the Indy game. Our problems went WAAAAAAY beyond his 2 dropped passes, they just did not help.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  13. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Faulk dropped a sure first down. Tommy forced the ball or made some bad throws. Seymour and Green jumped offsides. Lots of blame to go around.

Reche looked to be trying to cradle the TD throw in anticipation of a hit to try and knock it out. A bad decision, but one of action not omission. On the sideline pass he was looking upfield before he caught the ball, another mistake of action. He's going to flog himself, and based on how well he's done this year, I expect him to be a major asset next season.
  14. KDPpatsfan

KDPpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He isn't going anywhere...that's just silly.

He is a nice #3 or #4 on this team.

Not his fault that Chad Jackson is a bust.
  15. Mooch

Mooch Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He shall henceforth be known simply as "Ricochet" Caldwell in my household.
  16. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

My point is that the drops were not physical mistakes, they were mental mistakes and he simply choked because of the playoff pressure. How can you trust a guy like that? I say bring him back to training camp, but don't pencil him into the lineup. Maybe he can be a No. 3 guy; I like Gaffney as a No. 2 possesion receiver. We need a speedy stud at No. 1.
  17. lander

lander Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why the hell do you think the Chargers let him walk? Ricochet!
  18. TomBrady'sGoat

TomBrady'sGoat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I've been a big fan of Reche all year. I think he did a tremendous job this year, and he deserves credit for stepping up and working well with Brady.

Last night's drops were awful. There's no sugarcoating the fact. He should be held accountable for them, but giving up on a guy for one bad performance, no matter how big it is, is stupid and reactionary.

You note the performance in his file. If it proves to be part of a greater trend then you act on it. Maybe you can use it to motivate him.
  19. lander

lander Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He has the tools. He just has a penchant for the big blunder.
  20. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +495 / 6 / -7

You've already managed to come to that conclusion, eh?

Pathetic.