PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In Defeat, Patriots Still Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. Minus the whole fact the Rams were scary good that year and the Colts were 3-4...

Eh, I'm as big an optimist as there is, but there's nothing good about this loss like alot of people seem to think today. In fact this loss really sucks, because we should be 6-2 and those damn Colts should be 3-5. Instead they are a game behind us and have the tiebreak in case we are competing for a WC spot. A few really really bad plays/decisions cancelled out a masterpiece by Cassel, Kevin Faulk, the OL, and some others. And let's get this straight, the Colts are not exactly the measuring stick this year. Now if we lost this kind of a game against the Giants or maybe even the Titans, then yeah that could possibly be a confidence build. The 2001 Rams are one of the best teams ever to not win it all. At this point in the season the Colts are a team we should beat even without Morris/Jordan. This is going to sting until next Sunday where we HOPEFULLY redeem this loss.

I'm an optimist and I think the Pats are going to do well the rest of the way, but there was nothing good about that loss.

The writer forgets that that 2001 team came of a dismal 2000 season and the Rams were considered the best team out there. Our team was used to losing to elite teams and the fact that we stayed with the Rams gave us confidence.

This team however is coming off a perfect season and is full of veterans who've won a lot. No matter what the media has been writing about lately, I'm sure the players on this team expected to win the game in Indy. The fact that we lost in a close game isn't gonna give them the confidence they already had.

Last edited:
And let's get this straight, the Colts are not exactly the measuring stick this year.

This was going to be a tough game for the Pats, no matter what the records say. No coach/QB has faced Belichick more than Dungy/Manning.

There really is no measuring stick team this year in the AFC. The Titans are winning but are beatable.

I think this game will be a positive for the Pats. What was surprising is how well the offense played. I think with running game coming around and hopefully people getting healthier, this team will be very dangerous come Jan.

I also don't see the Colts making the playoffs. I think three teams out of the East will make the playoffs and the AFC championship game will contain one of them.

And since I am making predictions, I think we are going to finish 11-5. A fantastic record for this team and further proof that Bill is the best coach in the history of the game.

This was going to be a tough game for the Pats, no matter what the records say. No coach/QB has faced Belichick more than Dungy/Manning.

There really is no measuring stick team this year in the AFC. The Titans are winning but are beatable.

I agree Indy's still a good team despite their record, but he's comparing it to the game against the Rams that year. No team in this league, let alone Indy, is anywhere near that team. Like I said, if it were at least against an elite team maybe he has a point. But this is a game we should win, especially with how well Cassel and company played. Definately not encouaraging from a defensive standpoint ( though I still expect the defense to improve).

I agree Indy's still a good team despite their record, but he's comparing it to the game against the Rams that year. No team in this league, let alone Indy, is anywhere near that team. Like I said, if it were at least against an elite team maybe he has a point. But this is a game we should win, especially with how well Cassel and company played. Definately not encouaraging from a defensive standpoint ( though I still expect the defense to improve).

The Colts were favored by something like 5+ points at home, and had all their main offensive players back, so I don't see how you figure the Patriots should have won in terms of expectations heading into the game, if that's what you mean. If you mean based upon the way the game played out, my apology for misunderstanding.

Last edited:
This game will interestingly provide momentum

More...
Ah, the moral victory/the ugly win. I'll take the ugly win 100.00% of the time.

Comparing one game out of 2001 with Sunday's game and marrying it to a new QB because of injury story is a reach. But, ya gotta write something on Monday morning I guess.

The Colts were favored by something like 5+ points at home, and had all their main offensive players back, so I don't see how you figure the Patriots should have won.

We should've won because we are a better team. I think we showed on the field last night we are a more balanced, more physical team than them. The only reason the game was close was because Manning may be the best active QB in the league and they won thanks to some horrible plays/decisions. That is not encouraging against a 4-4 team and a rival who has now outwitted and gotten the best of us the last 4 out of 5 times. Against a 7-1 team who are defending champs, maybe there's some moral victory to take away. But that loss hurts more than helps there's no question.

We should've won because we are a better team. I think we showed on the field last night we are a more balanced, more physical team than them. The only reason the game was close was because Manning may be the best active QB in the league and they won thanks to some horrible plays/decisions. That is not encouraging against a 4-4 team and a rival who has now outwitted and gotten the best of us the last 4 out of 5 times. Against a 7-1 team who are defending champs, maybe there's some moral victory to take away. But that loss hurts more than helps there's no question.

But you're being unfair both to the Patriots and the Colts. Yes, it looks as if the Colts are fading this season, but they had been playing very banged up, just like New England. However, they got their #1 running back healthy enough to play against the Patriots, and Manning wasn't out there throwing the wounded ducks he's thrown a bit this season. In the meantime, the Patriots lost Wheatley early in the game, and are still getting the O-line back on track.

Furthermore, all that's above and beyond the losses of Harrison, Maroney, Jordan and Morris. That was a game that could very easily have resulted in the Patriots getting blown out.

There are no moral victories in the NFL, sorry but thats the harsh reality. The Patriots LOST and nothing good came out of it, 3 conference losses already means they lose all the tiebreakers come playoff time to teams like the Colts, SD and Miami. Conference losses kill your playoff chances.

There are no moral victories in the NFL, sorry but thats the harsh reality. The Patriots LOST and nothing good came out of it, 3 conference losses already means they lose all the tiebreakers come playoff time to teams like the Colts, SD and Miami. Conference losses kill your playoff chances.

While I understand that the "moral victory" argument gets overplayed, there are, indeed, moral victories in the NFL. One need only look to the 2001 Patriots and last year's Giants for examples.

But you're being unfair both to the Patriots and the Colts. Yes, it looks as if the Colts are fading this season, but they had been playing very banged up, just like New England. However, they got their #1 running back healthy enough to play against the Patriots, and Manning wasn't out there throwing the wounded ducks he's thrown a bit this season. In the meantime, the Patriots lost Wheatley early in the game, and are still getting the O-line back on track.

Furthermore, all that's above and beyond the losses of Harrison, Maroney, Jordan and Morris. That was a game that could very easily have resulted in the Patriots getting blown out.

Harrison and Maroney are old news, it's time to move on and leave them from discussion about games this year because we won't be getting them back. The other three injuries are valid points, especially Wheatley's because the defense needed him more. But they were missing their #1 CB too. And in this game BJGE and Faulk were both good in the absense of Morris/Jordan.

All they were able to do was pass the ball. We were passing, running, and stopping the run with success. That's a game we should've won despite injuries, I feel we are still the better team. Letting it slip away is not an encouraging sign, until we see how the team reacts to a loss like that.

While I understand that the "moral victory" argument gets overplayed, there are, indeed, moral victories in the NFL. One need only look to the 2001 Patriots and last year's Giants for examples.

Exactly. How confident do you think the Giants would have been heading into the playoffs had the Pats beat them 45-10 in Week 17?

The 07 Giants and 01 Pats lost close games to teams that were JUGGERNAUTS. Ok we went toe to toe with the 4-4 Indianapolis Colts, maybe we'll come back and win our wild card rematch with them. YAY

And those teams believed those were moral victories - do you think the Giants would have made it to the Super Bowl if they just kept kicking themselves over Week 17? Hell, their collapse in that game was way beyond NE's on Sunday night.

The 07 Giants and 01 Pats lost close games to teams that were JUGGERNAUTS. Ok we went toe to toe with the 4-4 Indianapolis Colts, maybe we'll come back and win our wild card rematch with them. YAY

If the prospect of making the playoffs (assumed by virtue of a division title) and winning a playoff game against the Colts with a backup QB doesn't excite you, boy your expectations are high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes