PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In case you didn't know bb is a genuis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the type of call that usually galvanizes a team. I was losing my mind a bit when I saw the Pats weren't going to receive. That's why they're paid to coach and play, and I watch the games at home for free, I guess.

yup. I was pretty convinced they were going to march right down the field and win. shows what I know

It was the defense, not Manning.

The pass defense and the fact that the defense was gassed.

Mannings modus operandi has always been to wear down defenses with up tempo and win it in the 4th quarter. In the 2006 AFCC the Pats defense was wasted towards the end of that game as Manning cruised to the Super Bowl.

Another ballsy call that is overlooked:

In OT, 3rd and 4 at NE 48, Manning complete to Tamme for 3 yards. PENALTY on DEN-E.Decker, Offensive Pass Interference

Do you decline and face 4th and 1 at the 45?
Do you accept and give them another 3rd down play, 3rd and 14?

Well, with Mr. cold weather noodle arm, you take your chances on 3rd and 14 and don't risk having to stop Moreno from getting one tough yard on 4th down, if Del Rio would have had the balls to do that.

I think Josh McDaniels has done a wonderful job, and he has a great knowledge of the way that Belichick/Brady both work, along with a great rapport with these all important people.

Really? What about that 3rd and 1 play last week? How about that 3rd and 4 play when Brady just lobbed it up for no reason?

I think McD gets too cute at the worst times and also goes away from things that are working.

I'm not understanding the sentiment that coach B would've gotten hate for this if it didn't work out the way that it did. It was absolutely the right call to make. Denver was scared to even try a long field at the end there because of the strong winds, hence why they punted instead.

Coach B plays the elements better than anyone out there. If anything he should be getting huge praise for this whether it worked or didn't. Honestly, it was the difference in this being a win or a loss. How people can't see that is baffling to me.

The commentary would have been that both teams were capable of scoring going into the wind, so in the flow of the game it should have been obvious that you need to put the other team down fast if given the opportunity, especially when the Pats seemed to be moving the ball. The Broncos didn't have to throw, making the wind less of a factor, and the running game was shredding the Pats. It would have been the new 4th and 2 decision.

The fact is the 4th and 2 decision years ago against the Colts was not stupid given the flow of the game. The offensive call was safe, and the offense typically would make that yardage so it was a high probability outcome in terms of the play and likelihood of success. The Pats defense was done, having given up multiple drives the length of the field in under 2 minutes. It was questioned because it didn't work. I agreed with the decision then, but was a little more perplexed by the decision here. You can be sure if the Pats gave up a TD and lost yesterday that BB would be an idiot, not a genius, in the media.

What I like about BB is he will go with the probabilities based on a complete understanding of the facts and circumstances of the game and really doesn't care if he is characterized as a genius or idiot by virtue of the outcome. As Roosevelt Colvin pointed out after the game when BB left the podium, BB is a genius. It is the decisions throughout his career that make him that, not one that works out for him in a game. It is snapping the ball out of the end zone on a punt in Denver and eating a safety. It is going for it on 4th and 2, or this decision. Unconventional, but he will gamble on a decision to win rather than electing a decision that might avoid public scorn any day of the week. He is the only coach I would want for the Pats because he is all about winning. Anyone else is second best.

Pats scored 34 points despite carelessly turning the ball over 3 or 4 times. Those turnovers werent a product of the playcalling.

there was one really questionable play call to me. the decision to throw it deep after the (what should have been) jammer PI against thompkins (3rd and 4 i believe)

Otherwise, when the offense stopped coughing up the ball, the pats rolled.

31-7 in the second half.

people need to stop *****ing about mcdaniels.

I actually liked the deep play call. Judging by the crowd displeasure and of course Brady screaming in your grill. I think the idea behind the throw was deep enough for a punt and possibly get a makeup call with any sort of contact. It didn't work out but it was gutsy.

I will be honest. I was shocked and said some very unkind things to BB through my TV set.

But that's why he's BB, HOF coach, and I post on a message board.;);)

I was thinking in the back of my mind it wouldn't be that bad if denver won the toss. Ballssssyyyy call. BB isn't afraid to take the heat either if it doesn't work out. I believe this is only the second time in NFL history a team kicked off in OT.

I think Josh McDaniels has done a wonderful job, and he has a great knowledge of the way that Belichick/Brady both work, along with a great rapport with these all important people.

To be completely honest, I really wouldn't want anyone else to be the OC right now.

Had we not committed the turnovers, this game may have been much like last season's comfortable lead/victory; and that was even with the wind. In a dome we'd probably have put up another 7-10 pts, and that's even with the turnovers that dug us in a hole.

There always seems to be a questionable call at some point of just about every game. Last week it was on 3rd and 1 when the score was tied at 17. Tonight it was when we had a 3rd and 4 in overtime, yet decided to try a deep throw to Edelman down the left sideline that ended up going way over his head and out of bounds. I thought both of those opportunities were wasted in my opinion, but other than that I think he's a great fit and does a very good job here.
Agreed. Do people seriously expect us to score a touchdown on every drive?

Genius? The Patriots gave the ball back to the Broncos like 3 times after that. If they had lost, then the same OP would probably be cursing BB. There was nothing genius at all about that. You should always take the ball especially if you're playing Manning who had just scored a TD on the previous drive. It was a bad call. They Pats just ended up winning any way. This is one thing I hate about football fans which is the difference in what they say after a game depending on whether the team wins or loses. The outcome shouldn't ever gloss over mistakes or poor decisions. The Patriots did end up winning though which was a great win either way. Calling a decision like that "Genius" is ridiculous though. That word gets tossed around so loosely by newb football fans.

Genius? The Patriots gave the ball back to the Broncos like 3 times after that. If they had lost, then the same OP would probably be cursing BB. There was nothing genius at all about that. You should always take the ball especially if you're playing Manning who had just scored a TD on the previous drive. It was a bad call. They Pats just ended up winning any way. This is one thing I hate about football fans which is the difference in what they say after a game depending on whether the team wins or loses. The outcome shouldn't ever gloss over mistakes or poor decisions. The Patriots did end up winning though which was a great win either way. Calling a decision like that "Genius" is ridiculous though. That word gets tossed around so loosely by newb football fans.

Texxx it was genius. Your just some angry person that doesn't like to give credit where it was due. And it worked :D

Would have been interesting to see if he makes the same decision with the old OT rules.

I'm less inclined to call it "genius" and more inclined to say it was the right decision.

BB made the right call last night for sure with the wind factor.

However, do some of you remember that when the overtime rules first changed to the current system two years ago, there was a lot of analysis and debate about whether to take the ball first or defer was optimal, even in perfect weather conditions? It is not obvious. There were a lot of articles like this one http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/06/sports/football/06overtime.html?_r=0

Basically, from a quantitative view, there is a lot more value in the second possession than meets the eye. The wind tips the scales.

Previous discussions:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...c-mistake-electing-receive-ot-i-think-so.html

And my bet with socalBong:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ff-receive-bet-settled-congrats-patsfans.html

Too bad, socal, I would have lost the bet :)

How bout them Texaans....................yeeeehawwwww

He took the wind because Manning was playing like a young Geno Smith going into it.

The fact is the 4th and 2 decision years ago against the Colts was not stupid given the flow of the game. The offensive call was safe, and the offense typically would make that yardage so it was a high probability outcome in terms of the play and likelihood of success. The Pats defense was done, having given up multiple drives the length of the field in under 2 minutes. It was questioned because it didn't work. I agreed with the decision then, but was a little more perplexed by the decision here. You can be sure if the Pats gave up a TD and lost yesterday that BB would be an idiot, not a genius, in the media.
I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of this comment here was. No one is equating this decision to or comparing it to the fourth and two game. Why you felt the need to bring that up is confusing to me, since I nor anyone else even mentioned it in relation to the decision last night.

Coach B made the sensible decision. Likewise, if the Broncos had won the toss, I would've expected them to do same, because it's the smart play in that situation. I'm actually surprised that people actually thought taking the ball over the wind would have been the smarter play.

That's why it is silly to me to hear people say that coach B would've deserved ire if it didn't work out. The decision was the smart one regardless of the result. The result just happened to make the decision look better in the vacuum of the game. That doesn't change the fact that it was the right one to make even if they lost.

Really? What about that 3rd and 1 play last week? How about that 3rd and 4 play when Brady just lobbed it up for no reason?

I think McD gets too cute at the worst times and also goes away from things that are working.

That Brady deep ball was his third read. how is that on McDaniels?

It's pretty standard for fans to blame the OC for bad plays but in reality, few of us are even qualified to break down whether it was due to bad play design or bad execution.

But it's worth noting that Brady has the ability to change plays at the line. He also doesn't have to force the ball to his first read. In addition to the play, the actual route varies depending on the coverage, so they always adapt to what the defense is doing.

Josh isn't perfect, neither is Brady or BB. But he's also just a part of the equation. If the LT misses his guy or the right side of the line properly dissects a stunt or Brady stays with his first read too long or the first option makes a better cut or the running back holds onto the ball or a ton of other factors in any given play change, that has just as much (if not more) impact on the outcome of a play than simply the play that is called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back