PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

In case you didn't know bb is a genuis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Can't be said enough but genius and balzy to give the ball to Peyton and take the wind. And in OT the wind helped us flip field position a few times, prevented them from trying a deep FG, and obviously had a part in that last punt. Genius, genius, genius!

I was texting a couple of friends of mine before that kickoff that it was one of those moves by Belichick that would get destroyed by the mainstream media if the Broncos scored but get just a passing mention if it worked.

Brady didnt have much of a problem going into the wind so the decision can be debated. On the other hand, the 4th and 2 and this were consistent with him having 'brass balls' and glad it worked out this time.

Not to spark debate about the past, but to note an interesting sign of change in the NFL:

Years back, BB was so afraid of Manning that he went for it on the famous 4th and 2 play. Now, he bets against Manning in overtime against the wind.

It's a real shame we don't have a genius at offensive coordinator.

I think Josh McDaniels has done a wonderful job, and he has a great knowledge of the way that Belichick/Brady both work, along with a great rapport with these all important people.

To be completely honest, I really wouldn't want anyone else to be the OC right now.

Had we not committed the turnovers, this game may have been much like last season's comfortable lead/victory; and that was even with the wind. In a dome we'd probably have put up another 7-10 pts, and that's even with the turnovers that dug us in a hole.

There always seems to be a questionable call at some point of just about every game. Last week it was on 3rd and 1 when the score was tied at 17. Tonight it was when we had a 3rd and 4 in overtime, yet decided to try a deep throw to Edelman down the left sideline that ended up going way over his head and out of bounds. I thought both of those opportunities were wasted in my opinion, but other than that I think he's a great fit and does a very good job here.

Pats scored 34 points despite carelessly turning the ball over 3 or 4 times. Those turnovers werent a product of the playcalling.

there was one really questionable play call to me. the decision to throw it deep after the (what should have been) jammer PI against thompkins (3rd and 4 i believe)

Otherwise, when the offense stopped coughing up the ball, the pats rolled.

31-7 in the second half.

people need to stop *****ing about mcdaniels.

Re: Re: In case you didn't know bb is a genuis!

Not to spark debate about the past, but to note an interesting sign of change in the NFL:

Years back, BB was so afraid of Manning that he went for it on the famous 4th and 2 play. Now, he bets against Manning in overtime against the wind.

It was the defense, not Manning.

In the second half (and overtime) of their last 4 games the Patriots have managed to score 24, 31, 17, 34 points. That's in a HALF.

People are still crying about McDaniels' play calling? I find that to be laughable.

I was in section 338, i turned to the guy next to me and said "bold move cotton"

He's made me quite upset this year with some plays he calls.

Nevertheless, with a win like that I can't be too upset even though some calls you could argue may have cost us.

The biggest difference between the two choices wasn't Manning. It was BB showing that he actually trusts this year's defense to go out and get him a stop (even with all of the injuries). I think this is the first time in 4-5 years that can be said.

The biggest difference between the two choices wasn't Manning. It was BB showing that he actually trusts this year's defense to go out and get him a stop (even with all of the injuries). I think this is the first time in 4-5 years that can be said.

Depends. He couldve also put faith in brady's arm into the wind. Its debatable. Glad it didnt come to that.

I still don't quite understand the call, what was the benefit of giving them the ball first?:confused:

As brought up during the telecast by Collinsworth, the overtime rule change likely had a lot in making this decision too.

Had it still been automatic sudden death, Belichick may not have felt anywhere nearly as comfortable in making that choice. In this case he was willing to gamble that our defense could hold them to a FG or less, which is a very important aspect to consider.

Either way you look at it, Belichick has plenty of experience with these wind decisions coming from his days as DC with the Giants at a very windy Giants stadium, along with the obvious wind issue here in Foxborough that he's seen a lot. There also have been many games up in Buffalo where this has also been a factor. Bill Belichick just recently made a decision re: the wind a few games ago. I believe it was the MIA game, where we stormed back in the second half.

I still don't quite understand the call, what was the benefit of giving them the ball first?:confused:

Choosing to make Manning and co go into the strong 20 mph crosswinds, where they'd be limited in their passing, along with any potential of a long FG.

Of course this also allowed us to have the wind at our backs, where Brady would utilize the wind benefit, along with any shot at a FG from Gostkowski.

Due to the recent OT rule changes, this made the gamble a bit easier to swallow, due to only having to trust the defense to hold them to a FG or less.

in the stands it was obvious why he took the wind...you have no idea how brutal it was moving that ball south to north...manning did it on the last scoring drive of the 4th quarter, but still, it was the right call by BB...the smart call anyway. I mean, people hate him so much now, he really can never be right about anything anymore.

Choosing to make Manning and co go into the strong 20 mph crosswinds, where they'd be limited in their passing, along with any potential of a long FG.

Of course this also allowed us to have the wind at our backs, where Brady would utilize the wind benefit, along with any shot at a FG from Gostkowski.

Due to the recent OT rule changes, this made the gamble a bit easier to swallow, due to only having to trust the defense to hold them to a FG or less.

Basically when you win the toss, you can either choose to get the ball first, or you can choose which end you want to defend.

Since the wind was such a major factor tonight, he went outside the box (first time I ever remember someone winning the toss in overtime and NOT choosing to get the ball first) by deciding to play the wind game instead of taking the ball first.

Again, the recent rule change where you can allow a FG and it's not sudden death likely had a lot to do with this decision. Had it been the old rules from a few yrs ago, he probably wouldn't have made this choice. He gambled that our defense would be able to hold Manning to a FG (or less), and knew that it'd be much more difficult for them, not to mention easier for us; both in the passing game, and on any FG attempts.

Had he chosen to get the ball first, attempting to kick a FG into that kind of wind would have been very, very difficult. It'd have limited us to where our range was, and even then there aren't any guarantees.

in the stands it was obvious why he took the wind...you have no idea how brutal it was moving that ball south to north...manning did it on the last scoring drive of the 4th quarter, but still, it was the right call by BB...the smart call anyway. I mean, people hate him so much now, he really can never be right about anything anymore.

When you walk outside and there are things blowing everywhere, you're pinning your hands to your ears etc--it's hard to imagine on any level exactly how they are able to throw and complete any passes. It's actually downright remarkable to me.

It seems like you'd throw a ball about 10 yards away and it'd just blow sideways to nowhere. Of course professionals like Tom Brady are about 100x stronger than I would be trying to throw a football, but when they are able to complete perfect spirals 30 yds downfield I am just amazed that it's even possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back