Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It has somehow become vogue to consider fans who have confidence in BB blind, ignorant, unthinking homers. While those that question him, doubt him, and expect the worst, are simply being realists.
Consider this:
In the last 8 years"
1 time we lacked talent to compete (2002)
1 time we lost our GOAT QB
In the other 6 seasons with everything else that got in the way, with all of the criticisms of scheme, play calling, coordinators, drafting, etc, etc there were 6 other seasons
5 were at least to the AFFC (4 to the Sb, and 3 SB wins)
1 was a divisional round loss in the year we tried to 3peat when Bruschi had a stroke

Given that we do not lack talent, as in 2002, and Brady is at QB, history says 5/6th of the time we advance at least to the AFCC with a great shot at winning it, and a great shot at winning the next one, and 1/6th of the time, we only advance to the divisional round.

Explain to me again why believing in BB is the unthinking (Koolaid slurping) approach and doubting him is the well thought out reasoned one.

It has somehow become vogue to consider fans who have confidence in BB blind, ignorant, unthinking homers. While those that question him, doubt him, and expect the worst, are simply being realists.
Consider this:
In the last 8 years"
In the other 6 seasons with everything else that got in the way, with all of the criticisms of scheme, play calling, coordinators, drafting, etc, etc there were 6 other seasons
1 was a divisional round loss in the year we tried to 3peat when Bruschi had a stroke

Given that we do not lack talent, as in 2002, and Brady is at QB, history says 5/6th of the time we advance at least to the AFCC with a great shot at winning it, and a great shot at winning the next one, and 1/6th of the time, we only advance to the divisional round.

Explain to me again why believing in BB is the unthinking (Koolaid slurping) approach and doubting him is the well thought out reasoned one.

I think this may be directed to deus irate.. I for one am far from panicking.

Last edited:
i'm not panicking but I never believed in the "In BB we trust" nonsense. He's a human like everyone else and makes mistakes. Sometimes he makes great moves, other times he doesn't. Would I take him over any coach? Absolutely. However, he should be criticized at times too.

never panicked

but sometimes a team needs to take a step back so that in turn, they can improve future prospects.

I am alot more entertained when things aren't so sure

i'm not panicking but I never believed in the "In BB we trust" nonsense. He's a human like everyone else and makes mistakes.

I think this is misleading, albeit unintentionally.

"In BB We Trust," to me does not mean he's infallible. It means he's worthy of our trust - even blind trust at times. That's not the same thing as thinking he never makes mistakes, which is what you - and others - are suggesting. All in all, I ABSOLUTELY trust that Belichick will, far more often than not, and far more often than every other coach, make the right decisions for this team and put it in great position to compete for a championship.

I believe a lack of understanding for that phrase, willful or otherwise, is part of what causes a lot of the friction here.

Last edited:
The same people that are noticing other fans panic have knocked Belichick's gameday coaching decisions in the past.

I believe what AndyJohnson is saying is that it's a little galling that people are criticizing Belichick's defensive schemes. Knock his playcalling, knock his gameday decisions, knock his silly little whiteboards, etc., but some people are saying Belichick's coaching philosophy--in the grand scheme of things when it comes to Xs and Os--needs rethinking.

I mean, I'd be embarrassed to post something like that.

With the stable of running backs we have, I want to see greater balance between run/pass and a more violent defense. They've performed about as well as I would have expected, even without Mayo.

"In BB We Trust," to me does not mean he's infallible. It means he's worthy of our trust - even blind trust at times. That's not the same thing as thinking he never makes mistakes, which is what you - and others - are suggesting. All in all, I ABSOLUTELY trust that Belichick will, far more often than not, and far more often than every other coach, make the right decisions for this team and put it in great position to compete for a championship.

I believe a lack of understanding for that phrase, willful or otherwise, is part of what causes a lot of the friction here.

he's definitely should get the benefit of the doubt. he's done so much for this team and so much for this franchise. however, there are a number on this board that don't like it if you criticize him because some how they think he is beyond criticism.

I BELIEVE

Belichick is deserving of our trust.

Belichick was outcoached last weekend.

The offense would be better off with a better OC, and certainly one that doesn't use the same no-huddle formation for the entire game, using wristbands for everyone and whiteboards for communication.

We'll know a lot more about this season's patriots by the time the bye comes around.
===============================

I'm not sure whether you want us to give Belichick a pass on this past week and even the season since we have certainly done better than any other team since Belichick arrived.

Consider this:
In the last 8 years"

Well put.

To me "In Bill We Trust" means that I trust his grand plan. The man is pretty much always going to have us a playoff contender and most years a SB contender. That doesn't mean he can't be wrong on an individual level. He makes mistakes just not as much as most.

I don't see why anyone would question the "In Bill We Trust" slogan, question the man fine, but if you question the slogan than by definition you question whether you can trust BB and I say you don't even need to look back to trust in Bill just look forward to the 4 picks in the top 62 next year and the 2 in the top 32 the year after. BB has this team set up for the future, he always has his past, and this year looks good, tough schedule and tough start but the future and the past tells me "In Bill We Trust"

i'm not panicking but I never believed in the "In BB we trust" nonsense. He's a human like everyone else and makes mistakes. Sometimes he makes great moves, other times he doesn't.
The moves that aren't great are not mistakes.

It is a grave misunderstanding to think that all NFL moves should be successful.

Not true at all, especially in a business that is based of predictions of human behavior. How will this player adapt from college to the pros? We know how that player played with that team. How will he play in ours? Many variables.

What you need is a philosophy that will yield the greatest number of successes. Once you have that philosophy, it doesn't matter if some or even many of your decisions do not produce. What matters is that your system produces as many as can be expected given the randomness and inexactitude of many of the possible decisions.

The only proof of philosophies is: Does it work? In the case of BB/SP, Polian, etc they work. The fact that some of their decisions did not produce does not mean they were bad decisions. If you never go beyond boundaries, you are operating too conservatively.

The same applies to coaching, to training, to everything, not just in football. Football is just more susceptible to this than, say, buying a used car. When you buy a used car, there are signs most people use for their buying philosophy/process. If the car is clean insdie and out, if it has low mileage, if it is a one-owner car and you know the owner, the chances are that it will be a better buy than a similar car that is filthy inside and out, has high mileage, and is owned by a tattoed 20 year-old living in a slum.

Now, if you buy the clean car and it turns out to need repair after repair, it does not mean your decision-making process was wrong. You were bitten by chance. If someone, like DI, for instance, finds fault and wants you to change your methods, it would be a mistake. Your decision making was sound, even if the clean, low mileage, one-owner car turns out bad and the beater runs maintenance free for years.

The whining and complaining done by DI is hindsight based on happenstance. They are the fathers who will berate their children for being late to get home. "You should have taken Broad Street, not Elm Street. There was an accident on Elm." They don't care that Broad Street is generally the best choice, and will be the best choice next time. Rather than reward the good process used, they use the happenstance result as a means to carp and complain.

It is really really dumb. I'm sure there is a reason for this behavior, but it is still dumb.

After what BB let Rex Ryan do to us (I won't go into detail as I've been warned), no, I don't trust him.

If you had a dog which let you get mauled by robbers whilst it played with a bone, what would you think of it?

Ryan had his way with us, the disgusting slob.

what the team does this year and next year will determine my confidence level on this coaching staff.

Play calling has been puzzling at time. Players often did not seem to be real comfortable. The team breaks down at key moments on both sides of the ball. Maybe a good OC and a DC would help. (Personally I think Pees is doing a bad job. We don't really have a OC.)

There have been well documented personel challenges especially on LB and TE positions. Our players are often uncomfortable in whatever schemes they tried to perform, be it running game and 3rd down containment D. What about making them do things that they can be good at? Let out the aggressions in defensive players like Jets or Steelers do. Maybe they are making things too complicated than need be.

That been said, I will reserve my judgement until I see more of this year's team. We could use some dominant D and some easy wins. Really missed these since the 07 season.

After what BB let Rex Ryan do to us (I won't go into detail as I've been warned), no, I don't trust him.

If you had a dog which let you get mauled by robbers whilst it played with a bone, what would you think of it?

Ryan had his way with us, the disgusting slob.

Thats a short term I want immediate satisfaction attitude. BB builds the team to be pereenial contenders, some years they make take a step back. They lost Sunday because the other team played better. BB and the staff is in the process of taking some young players and some new players and teaching them his way, takes time. Ive heard this cry before but eventually he builds a team that can win. I trust he has the right people here and they need time to learn his system. lets talk after game 16 and see where we're at. In the meantime enjoy the games for what they are, entertainmenmt.

Last edited:
Somehow, someway, somewhere, somebody on this forum has to be right.

Last edited:
All those years, we supposedly had no "stars." Just because they weren't household names that made the Pro Bowl every year doesn't mean they weren't great players. Bruschi and Vrabel in their prime, McGinest, Rodney Harrison, Eugene Wilson, etc., were not big names, but they were big game, tough players. Now that Belichick doesn't have them, he's shown his mortality. Yes, he's a great coach, but like a great conductor, you're only as good as your musicians.

Belichick was only one part of the ingredient of the championships. Having Weis, Crennel, and great players helped him a lot.

A lot of you sound like Yankees fans, dwelling on championships we won 5 years ago and cutting the team slack.

Last edited:
Now that Belichick doesn't have them, he's shown his mortality

We dont know that yet, we have young guys and new guys learning. Ill continue to give BB the benefit of the doubt til he throws up a couple bad seasons, until then Ill assume he knows what hes doing.
Im realistic and know they'll be rebuilding or as the Red Sox call them, retooling years.
2000 season was not supposed to be a super bowl team but the players caught on fast and some stepped up to plate, now we wait and see if he has chosen players that will do it again.

I cringe every time people people use the phrase "In BB we trust". It just sounds pathetic!

I just think it's bizarre how Rex Ryan can transform a defense overnight, yet we're still waiting for BB, the "defensive guru", to come up with a solid defense. It's pretty sad when I think of BB, I think of offense, not defense.

Can't win it all every year. There's lots of talented players and coaches in the NFL. I'll take Kraft and Bill over all of them because I know we have a great chance of winning it all again as long as they are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes